Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327753 Posts in 13419 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  disappointed of new generation rpgs.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: disappointed of new generation rpgs.....  (Read 4017 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

If people lauded it as much as FFIV, I'd probably complain too, but people hate on that game like nothing else, and it just doesn't deserve it.

On the flipside some DO consider it one of the best FFs. And honestly, I've come around to thinking that at the least it IS better than FFIV, especially the GBA translation. Both have ridiculous plots, but the drama in V matters more and it knows not to take itself TOO seriously. Plus there's more variety to the gameplay, though as I recall it falls to the same problem FFIV did where you get a bunch of potentially useful ailment spells and whatnot, only for them to not matter in the final dungeon when things are hardest and you may actually need them.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

I think FFV gets too little love.  I thought it did battles better than 1-4, and maybe even 6.

I thought FF4 DS was a good touch, the Augment thing was a great addition, but only to go a step back with After Years.  Definitely in trying to cram in more plot than was necessary (though Golbez looked absolutely balls-deep-awesome).

Totally agree on everything. FFV may have had a terrible plot (but not really any worse than FFIVs), but it gave us one of the best skill systems of all time. It also has great atmosphere and locales. Honestly, I think it's everything that FFIV was and more. AND it doesn't have endless, needless resurrections. People die, and they stay dead.

If people lauded it as much as FFIV, I'd probably complain too, but people hate on that game like nothing else, and it just doesn't deserve it.

Well except for X-Death and his splinter shenanigans.

That said, FFV definitely has the best gameplay of the SuperNES era FFs. Mostly for both having an actual difficulty curve (unlike FFVI) that's not entirely dependent on who's been affixed to your party at the moment (unlike FFIV).

Additionally, the Augments of FFIVDS was probably the single best solution to the game's rigid linearity/party system.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »

I never got far in FFV but it seems like I would enjoy it. IDK maybe I'll play it this smumner.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: