Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341051 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Games that are like RPGs but are not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Games that are like RPGs but are not  (Read 2458 times)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »

So, I normally play nothing but various types of RPGs, and heavily into narrative-driven RPGs (so a lot of JRPGs and WRPGs that are less sandbox and more playing out a narrative like Mass Effect and Dragon Age).

Although not termed an RPG by most, I also enjoyed Assassin's Creed very much, due to the narrative and being able to play out Desmond's and Enzio's roles (the first one wasn't subtitled so I never played it). I enjoyed the first few Silent Hills as well.

I tried Metal Gear but for some reason couldn't really get into it. Maybe unless is futuristic sci-fi, I am not really interested in the military.

So are there any other non-RPGs like A.C. that I might enjoy?

Restrictions:
1) Cannot be on the PS3 (don't have it, don't plan to get one) or PC (my husband is always glued to it)
2) I would prefer a more historical / fantasy setting.
3) I suck at fast games and would prefer something more relaxing than having frantic button mashing
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:59:33 AM by Aurian » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

Red Dead Redemption. It's more sandboxy than AC but again that's all up to you. Incredible atmosphere and setting. The narrative has it's problems but all in all it's an incredible game.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:53:29 PM »

Looks interesting but the words "sandbox" always scares me.

I had trouble with other sandbox type games like GTA, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amluar (sp).... I seem to have trouble with Bethesda games in general, having no interest in playing Skyrim or Fallout despite my husband enjoying those. I find while I like some exploration, too much tends to leave me bored.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »

Dynasty Warriors series sounds like something for you, looking at the restrictions at least. Best go for Dynasty Warriors 7 (Just watch out for the Xtreme Legends expansion pak). It's among the best in the series. I'm not huge on them, but they're on the 360, they've got historical settings and narritive driven stories, they've got loads of equipment upgrades and level ups, and they're as relaxing as I've seen an action game be.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »

I tried Metal Gear but for some reason couldn't really get into it. Maybe unless is futuristic sci-fi, I am not really interested in the military.

Believe it or not Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 4 have cyberpunk elements in them. So yeah, it has sci-fi but is not "nerdy sci-fi", if that makes any sense. :|
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:05 PM »

Way of the Samurai <- Historical
Beyond Good and Evil <- Sci-Fantasy
Soul Reaver 1 and 2 <- Fantasy
Pikmin 1 and 2 <- Sci-Fantasy
Super Metroid <- Sci-Fi
CIMA: The Enemy <- Sci-Fantasy?
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future <- Fantasy.
Jak and Daxter <- Fantasy

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

Thanks. I'll look into those.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

Yakuza might be up your alley as well, though beware that it's in its native Japanese with subtitles.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »

The Yakuza games are 100% RPGs as far as I'm concerned.  I know Sega doesn't market them as such, but they are.  I mean come on, you have leveling up, new skills and abilities, weapons, armor, items, exploration, side quests, random encounters...come on.  What more do you want?

beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »

i usually use the ac games as my palette cleanser after every rpg. this is tough since i don't own a 360 and i'm assuming that is the only system you have.

the first thing that comes to mind is the batman games. i know they're not historic really but they scratch the same itch for me as the ac games so if your like me that might work. the fights are about the same amount of button mashyness so i'd say give it a shot asylums pretty cheap now too. city's a bit bigger in scope.

when i get a 360 the first games i get for it will be witcher 2 and bastion but those are rpgs so yeah i'd check those out if you haven't but other than that i got nothing, hope that helped.   
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »

If only Way of the Samurai 3 and 4 was on 360, both historical and like an rpg

Going out on a limb here, If you like the wild west then see if you can find "Gun" Red deads poorer relative. Is sandboxy yet the main game can be easily followed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

Way of the Samurai 3 IS on the 360, though I doubt WotS4 will ever show up there.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »

Way of the Samurai 3 IS on the 360, though I doubt WotS4 will ever show up there.

Thanks Eusis, I really didn't know that and it's a great game that fit's the OP's request perfectly imho.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

If you haven't played Shadow of the Colossus try that. You level up your guy by eating fruit and shooting lizards. It's good on exploration and the story is the best minimalist story ever. It shows you little but as the game goes on you're made more and more aware of what's going on in a very subtle manner.

By the end I felt very strongly about what was going on.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »

Not exactly fantasy and definitely not historical but the Megaman Legends games are pretty RPG-like without being full on RPG or totally sandboxy like other not-RPGs. Granted, it is pretty actiony, but as long as you remember to jump strafe everything vaguely threatening, you'll be fine.

Also while I know that everyone here considers it to be full on RPG, I do think that Vagrant Story is esoteric enough to also be considered not a straight RPG. It's pretty actiony and definitely has a historical fantasy thing going for it.

If you're not restricted by age, then The Guardian Legend is cool beans. Granted it's sci-fi and also part side-scrolling shooter but it has the usual RPG accoutrements including weapon and life upgrades and so on.

Additionally either of the old Kid Icarus games are basically RPG platformers (collect hearts to buy shit, upgrade your weapon with power and attributes, use hammers to find secrets, map out dungeons, and go on the run from your creditors for maxing out your credit card and refusing to pay back the hearts you owe). Plus they're at the very least historical fantasy based.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: