Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 07:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335316 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  The Secret World
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 2990 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

I didn't see a topic for this game, and search results came up irrelevant sooo....

Anyone else getting this game? For those of you who don't know, it's an MMO by Funcom set in the modern day "real world" where all conspiracy theories are true. You play as a member of one of three secret societies and fight friggin' weird monsters and Lovecraftian abominations. I guess there are no classes, you just take certain skills and build your character however you like.

Here's the homepage: http://www.thesecretworld.com/

The Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

And the The Secret World wiki: http://crygaia.net/wiki/Main_Page

Seeing as a I'm big into Lovecraft and I'm loving the whole atmosphere and feel of the game (reminds me of Hunter: The Reckoning), I'm totes getting it. Comes out June 19th.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:28:45 PM »

I was interested and following it for a while. But several things have put me off in recent times. First was it having to be an upfront purchase when all the early videos claimed it to be completely F2P (I would've been fine with micro-transactions; not so much the buy it upfront at full price). Second is that EA has it's hooks in it; which means it'll possibly require diving into the infamous 'Origins' systems to use. And finally is the whole 'Facebook game' style crap they recently just pulled. Long story short; they had an events where you could earn free gear, XP boosting potions, ect. by participating in what basically was a giant Facebook game app. Complete with the whole 'You need a ton of friends and to spam videos/links on your wall to get enough points/resources to earn more points in order to get the 'good' stuff.' The fact that this 'popularity contest' BS game mechanic has bled out of Facebook and into other game genres is...mildly pissing to say the least.

So...yeah. This game is not on my good side until I see any sort of official review and it'll have to be nothing short of astounding to get me to try it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:30:42 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »

I really want to play this but I'd like to be able to try before I buy. They should offer a trial at the very least.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »

I really want to play this but I'd like to be able to try before I buy. They should offer a trial at the very least.

I can send you a buddy key, but the trial only lasts 24 hours :/.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

Just got done with about three hours of play time. Basically, I love it. I don't normally play MMO's because they never keep my attention, but this one's fun. However, you might be just as well waiting for Guild Wars 2, seeing as everything I like about Secret World is improved there, plus its B2P. Both of them are great however.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »

I'll take u up on that offer if ur still willing. And thank you:)

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »

likewise :)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

I'll take u up on that offer if ur still willing. And thank you:)

PM sent.

likewise :)

Sorry Logick, I looked and I only get one key to give away, and Esper asked first, :/. But if I ever get another and you're still interested, then it's all yours. :)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:22:04 AM »

Sorry Logick, I looked and I only get one key to give away, and Esper asked first, :/. But if I ever get another and you're still interested, then it's all yours. :)
No worries, thanks though. (I should avoid mmos anyway)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:37:07 AM »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I picked this game up during one of the holiday sales and was wondering if anyone plays.  I actually got it since I heard you can play it solo.  I've never played a MMO so I find it kinda daunting and haven't even downloaded it yet.  So any opinions, tips etc would be welcome.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »

Be prepared to use your noodle. There are lots of puzzles to be solved by using the in-game internet. The crafting is bewildering too. Overall it was pretty cool though. Great atmosphere.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:37 AM »

It's very solo friendly and has the greatest writing I've ever seen in an MMORPG. I love it. There don't seem to be many people playing these days, though.

As far as tips go, there's only one real one:  start with a weapon that has the ability to hit multiple enemies, because the earliest enemies you come across come in packs.  Shotgun and assault rifle come to mind.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: