Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 06:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329994 Posts in 13523 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  EA in a Nutshell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EA in a Nutshell  (Read 1111 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »

Make sure to read the description after watching the video.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »

This can be said for most of the major game companies as of late. Make a half assed numerical sequel to a game that wasn't terrible, advertise shiny new something, and spend all the development money on making everyone know about it.

Video was well made and pretty accurate. Shame I still like Mass Effect 3.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »

Whee, more entitled BS mixed with half-truths and a couple outright lies for good measure.  I can't understand people's obsession with whining about game companies making games that are successful.  It's a business.  Blame the consumers who buy them if you think they're so terrible, or just don't buy them and find games you do like.

The only things in that video that are even remotely true are things that everyone in the industry does.  Get over it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »

EA's major unethical thing, which is what initially got people to hate them, was their tendency to buy out other games companies and kill them.

They quit doing that a long time ago. Nothing they're doing now is particularly bad.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »

EA's major unethical thing, which is what initially got people to hate them, was their tendency to buy out other games companies and kill them.

They quit doing that a long time ago. Nothing they're doing now is particularly bad.

I dunno, Pandemic's dead and people don't like where Bioware is or where they're seemingly going, but that be just as much their fault as EA's if not more. And the freemium angle they're using more of is exasperating.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »

Personally, Origin is the reason I'll probably never get another EA game.
Too bad that means never finishing the ME trilogy.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

I can understand people complaining about EA... pre-2007 or so.  Considering they've published titles like Brutal Legend, Left 4 Dead (360), Amalur, Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, Shadows of the Damned, Dead Space, Alice: Madness Returns, Syndicate, etc. in recent years, it's not as if they're simply rehashing Madden and Need for Speed over and over anymore.  When Larry Probst left, things really did get better.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »

Whee, more entitled BS mixed with half-truths and a couple outright lies for good measure.  I can't understand people's obsession with whining about game companies making games that are successful.  It's a business.  Blame the consumers who buy them if you think they're so terrible, or just don't buy them and find games you do like.

The only things in that video that are even remotely true are things that everyone in the industry does.  Get over it.
Yep.

That video maker's a douchebag of the highest order.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »

I can understand people complaining about EA... pre-2007 or so.  Considering they've published titles like Brutal Legend, Left 4 Dead (360), Amalur, Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, Shadows of the Damned, Dead Space, Alice: Madness Returns, Syndicate, etc. in recent years, it's not as if they're simply rehashing Madden and Need for Speed over and over anymore.  When Larry Probst left, things really did get better.

I agree. Trying to monetize games is something everyone is doing-- hell, look at TF2 with hats. EA has published some pretty solid original games in the past few years. I'm not a fan of some of the bigger pubs' business practices, but I can't just say everything they make is garbage.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »

The only reason I hated EA way back when was because of how they treated their employees. They got better.

I'm not sure about the current situation, but Activision seems to be far and away the worst in that respect right now.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »

The only reason I hated EA way back when was because of how they treated their employees. They got better.

I'm not sure about the current situation, but Activision seems to be far and away the worst in that respect right now.
Activision will always be my most hated company ever. Fuck them horribly.

It's actually surprising how little the hate train has been following them as of late. Between the remaking of tony hawk (wow lame), black ops 2 ( technically call of duty what, 8 now), and that smug jackass still at the reigns, therr's always reason to hate on activision.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: