Author Topic: Mass Effect Soundtracks

Aurian

• View Profile
Mass Effect Soundtracks
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I loved the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack but I found the Mass Effect 2 one rather boring. Is the first soundtrack more like 2 or 3?

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Mass Effect Soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
based on composer credits alone I'd say that 1 is more like 2 than 3.

You'll note that while Sam Hulick does music for all three games, Jack Wall does 1 and 2, but not 3, and 3 adds a whole bunch of other composers, including Clint Mansell the wonderful (IMO) Cris Velasco.

Check out some of the Mass Effect 2 DLC albums btw, some of them are by the people who came on to the team for ME3.

(Reviews of all the ME2 DLC albums etc are forthcoming sometime in the next month or two)

Aurian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
Ah thank you. I saw some hinting about a Mass Effect special on Soundtracks but its been awhile and when the Mass Effect 3 review was posted, I thought "well, I guess that was it" :)

Hmm... doesn't sound like 1 will hit the sweet spot then. I really enjoyed the majority of 3's tracks but 2's was really miss for me. Unfortunately I don't know who did what on 3 so I can't tell you if I think Mansell or Velasco are awesome :)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
Yeah-- sorry about that! We'll have a Mass Effect special still, but it will be a ME2 extravaganza :)

1 is a lot more synth and Vangelis/sci-fi inspired. 2 and 3 are much more operatic and traditionally epic, with sci-fi flavor. I love all three, but for different reasons.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Aurian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
Ah, the big update is here!

Ooh, extended ending came with a free soundtrack? *scurries off to download* Thank you!!!

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
Sorry for the delay! Real life has been kicking my ass lately and I've been a bit rough with the updates. And yes-- the album is worth it for the extended "An End, Once and For All" and "Wake Up" alone. Well, it's free, so it's worth it no matter what, but you get the idea :D
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.