Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  SNES Rpgs that we never saw.... Astounded...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SNES Rpgs that we never saw.... Astounded...  (Read 3022 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »

So I've never really payed much attention to the RPG's that never made it out of japan until recently.... well, really since I began frequenting this board and realizing how much we miss out on.... so I began researching what we missed in the past that I was unaware of.....

... to steal a line from Richard in the most recent tales of graces f.... the super nintendo is a "veritable jewel-box" of fantastic RPG's we never saw... and I, dear friends, have become obsessed.... I've been reading for hours now.... sure we all know about "Seiken Densetsu 3" and "Star Ocean".... maybe we have heard of "Terranigma" (sp?) and a few others like "Bahamut Lagoon" but they seem to just be the tip of the ice-berg....

So I implore, fellow JRPG lovers, help me to compile a list of 16-bit untouchables worth drooling over.... and naturally if you have played them, impressions would be nice...

To start with one of the aforementioned ( and most obvious....)....

Seiken Densetsu 3- Played it... loved it... While I wouldn't quite say it put secret of mana to shame it certainly, IMO, was the better game hands down. Everything Secret of Mana was plus... A) the ability to select a unique team of three from a cast of 6.... B)the ability to upgrade to different classes, venturing your characters development down either a "dark" or "light" path....C) greater replay-value as a result of the last two points.... Now, there were alterations to the core gameplay a bit, such as characters now specialized in weapon types as opposed to being able to equip whomever with whatever... battles, while still real-time, felt a bit different but this was an improvement to me.... And I can go on, but you all get the idea... plus I'm sure most of you experienced this splendor for yourself already...

Ones I haven't played but are on my list....
*All the other titles I initially mentioned earlier in this post
-Sailor Moon RPG
-Magic Knight Rayearth RPG
-Slayers RPG
-Live a Live
-Rudora no Hihou. (high on my priority list )
-Bushi Seiryuuden - Futari no Yuusha
-Record of Lodoss RPG
-SMT1 and SMT2

I've already ordered some of these and as I try them out I will post my impressions on this thread if it catches on.... If by the way, all this  is "old hat" and already well established feel free to tell me "Klyde, let the thread die and google it as you are the only one who has been living under a rock too long to realize these things..."....... just be sure to give me your top suggestions first!! LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

Don't forget Tales of Phantasia.  The Playstation remake is superior, but the original version is fantastic.  The GBA version we got in the US is crap.  I did not review it very flatteringly. 

And any Goemon game.  The Goemon games are great.  And Tengai Makyo Zero.  I haven't played TM:0, but I trust Red Company.  I know you're into aesthetics, so you may dig it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/581824-tengai-makyou-zero/images/screen-7

Oh, and the Rayearth RPG is ass.  Terrible, terrible game.  See, in order to advance the game, you actually have to lose the majority of the boss battles, but they're so easily winnable... I actually got Game Overs after kicking butt.  Plus, the music is as bare bones as you get, the graphics are plain, and the storyline is barely glossed over. 

On the other hand, the Sailor Moon RPG is really good, albeit some bosses can be merciless.  I really like the Opposito Senshi villains who are original for the game. 

Bahamut Lagoon has excellent music.  I don't understand why people are meh over Noriko Matsueda.  Her music in Bahamut Lagoon and FFX-2 (which she co-composed with Takahito Eguchi) is great.  No shame, X-2 had x-cellent music. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »

The two big reasons I got into SNES emulation in a big way in the early 2000s were Seiken Densetsu 3 and Final Fantasy V (didn't have a PlayStation at the time).  I eventually poured dozens if not hundreds of hours into SD3, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Quest V and VI (which only had official English-language versions recently on DS), Live a Live, Romancing Saga 2, Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, and Terranigma (English version was Europe-only) among others. 

I'd agree that SD3 and Tales of Phantasia are the best of the "lost" SNES RPGs, but the others I mentioned are definitely worth a look.  Fire Emblem IV is in my top three of the whole series.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »

Dejap's translation of ToP was also a work of art.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

Just from the present list:

SD3- Played it, personally I kinda like SD2 better. Sure gameplay in 3 was better but 2 had better boss music I think.

Sailor Moon- Played it, never beat it but I remember it being an okay game. Think I only got as far into it as I did because I was a bigger SM fan than I am now (I still like the show, but man is it aging). I do remember the combat system being piss poor balanced though. You pretty much have to be at X level for certain fights or your attacks literally do crap damage. Kinda reminds me of WoW and its 'gear checks' in SNES format.

MKR RPG- Barely got into it. Nothing to impress me. :-\
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »

Positioning was important in the Sailor Moon RPG, if I recall correctly.  Like when Mercury was fighting Nabu, she was doing paltry damage.  I won that battle of attrition, but then I learned that Mercury was standing too far away and that if she was a step closer, she'd do bigger damage. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »

Don't forget Tales of Phantasia.  The Playstation remake is superior, but the original version is fantastic.  The GBA version we got in the US is crap.  I did not review it very flatteringly.

There also this "Full Voice Edition" for PSP. Then they took that version and released Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »

Actually Terranigma made it out of Japan. It just never saw the light of day in the US.

Anyways, the thing about a lot of SuperNES era JRPGs is that a number of the good ones that we've missed have already seen ports and remakes on different consoles since then. Front Mission is on the DS, same with DQs V and VI, even the first Shiren the Wanderer and a remake of the first book of Fire Emblem 3 are on there. Romancing Saga 1 can be found on the PS2 while the PSP is home to port of Star Ocean 1 and a vastly superior version of Ys 3, the Vita will hopefully be home to Falcom's actual take on Ys IV, and the PSX saw the release of Tactics Ogre, and along with the GBA, a port of FFV. Also on the GBA is the only western released version of Tales of Phantasia.

As for the games that haven't seen an official release but have been translated....
Mystic Ark (7th Saga 2)
Aretha 1
Bahamut Lagoon (try to play this)
BS Zelda (at least Ancient Stone Tablets)
Der Langrisser
Far East of Eden Zero
Fire Emblems IV and V (III hasn't had a proper translation done yet but a translation patch for the DS remake of 3's Book 2 and the BSFE chapters, basically the parts we're still missing, is being worked on even as we speak and probably the way to play versus on the SuperNES)
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (don't expect to be playing an SRPG though as it's far more like Assault Suits Valken than Front Mission)
Gunman's Proof (decent Zelda clone)
Lady Stalker (if you liked Land Stalker)
Lennus II (heard good things about this, basically Paladin's Quest 2)
Live A Live (fun little game that's also a painful reminder of what we lost when Squaresoft became Squeenix)
Metal Max 2, Returns (among the best open ended JRPGs ever made, have received remakes on the DS but it's easier to get patches for the SuperNES versions, get these)
Monstania
Romancing Sagas 2 and 3 (if you can handle them, get them, 2 the better of the two)
The Adventure of Hourai Highschool (made before every fucking anime on the planet became set in a highschool setting, fun game with an FFV like job system)
Treasure Hunter G (worth it if you like Sting games, has no relation to Dept. Heaven though so don't look for that)
Treasure of the Rudras (another Squaresoft oddity from back when they still made games, worth checking out at least)

I'm going to comment here that I wouldn't bother to go looking for the SuperNES SRW games as they lack a great deal of the conveniences that more recent games enjoy and thus are kinda rather hard to play through.

There are other games as well but I don't know their quality or how well they stand up today, and many of which were fairly derivative of Dragon Quest and the like so there are a lot of them that wouldn't really offer you anything new at this point anyways and are safely skipable.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

Positioning was important in the Sailor Moon RPG, if I recall correctly.  Like when Mercury was fighting Nabu, she was doing paltry damage.  I won that battle of attrition, but then I learned that Mercury was standing too far away and that if she was a step closer, she'd do bigger damage. 

I used positioning; alas I can't remember the specific fight but I know there was one I had to grind a few levels. Due to being in the back making me unable to deal anything substantial but any closer being pretty much 2-Hit KOs. XP

Said issues were fairly rare though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

Not much a fan of SD3, honestly. It's very buggy. SD2 and 3 were both really buggy, but SD2's bugs were... they didn't break anything, they just made a lot of the feedback you got sort of pointless. Not really a fan of ToP either. It's incredibly slow compared to later Tales games, and the combat's much less hands-on.

Terranigma is one of my favorite SNES RPGs. Yeah, it has its own issues (the two bigs ones are apparent around Bloody Mary) and Nirlake and Dragoon's Castle are sort of crappy dungeons, but the rest of the game I love so much. The action's smooth. The story is really affecting.

SNES SMT games I enjoy a lot. The... lack of save points makes them difficult to play legitimately, honestly, but the mechanics are fun, and the atmosphere is cool.

Romancing SaGa stuff... IDK, I wish we got these. I like 3, even if it feels glitchy. 2 sounds really cool. The RS1 remake is sort of superior to the original in every way, though.

Metal Max - I adore metal saga. Would've liked to play this as well.

Final Fantasy V - Playing this right now. Unlike the other SNES FF games, I'm really digging this. Lots of skills to play with, little sidequests, and the general atmosphere is much closer to like a gameboy saga game.

Dragon Quest 5, 6 - I didn't like 6 much for some reason (didn't give it much of a go to be honest, though). 5 is one of my favorites from the series. Again, though. 5 got a superior DS remake. (6's DS remake looks kind of questionable to me). Still, would've been happy if we'd gotten 5 just to have it be part of the broader ecosystem of the SNES.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »

I'm surprised Dual Orb II and Silva Saga 2  are not mentioned on the list both are very good games to play. The latter is a sequel to a previous game and another one before it which is part of a series.

Lennus2- Oh man that game is very good though you do need to be very careful at the earlier parts of the game one of those games where a walkthrough helped a lot.

Magic Knight Rayearth RPG- as Dincrest said pretty easy except for the last few dungeons if you don't level up enough.

Romancing Saga- I am really interested in the second game considering that's where the lightbulb spark techniques came from and the introduction of the LP system. I am curious what techs from that game that appeared in future saga games.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:43:27 PM by Tridius » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »

I'm surprised Dual Orb II and Silva Saga 2  are not mentioned on the list both are very good games to play. The latter is a sequel to a previous game and another one before it which is part of a series.

Lennus2- Oh man that game is very good though you do need to be very careful at the earlier parts of the game one of those games where a walkthrough helped a lot.

Magic Knight Rayearth RPG- as Dincrest said pretty easy except for the last few dungeons if you don't level up enough.

Romancing Saga- I am really interested in the second game considering that's where the lightbulb spark techniques came from and the introduction of the LP system. I am curious what techs from that game that appeared in future saga games.

Yeah, sorry about the lack of Dual Orb II and Silva Saga. I have no real experience with them and decided not to take my chances in recommending them.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »

Seiken 3 can stay in Japan for all I cared. Everything that made Secret of Mana fun was sucked right out of its sequel, and the class system sort of requires a guide to make the most of, particularly with the second class upgrade.

xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

The dragon Ball z rpg is also pretty cool.  It go from Z - Freeza fight.  Back in 1992 it was amazing.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:29 AM »

I saw one on gamefaqs a few months ago, but forgot it.
Dunno if this is any good, but decide if you like it or not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTwAHEZsSfg

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: