Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 12:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338779 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  SNES Rpgs that we never saw.... Astounded...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: SNES Rpgs that we never saw.... Astounded...  (Read 3124 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

Romancing Saga- I am really interested in the second game considering that's where the lightbulb spark techniques came from and the introduction of the LP system. I am curious what techs from that game that appeared in future saga games.

LP was technically in SaGa 1 if you consider the hearts to be LP. They SORT OF served the same purpose.

RS2 really interests me because of the generational gameplay and the like, light empire building stuff.

Is Valis an RPG?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »

Is Valis an RPG?

Maybe if you consider having a barely armored girl swinging a sword around enough to be an RPG.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:04:40 AM by Eusis » Logged
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »

Wow guys! Thanks for the awesome responses!!

Special thanks to Dincrest for the suggestion of Tengai Makyo Zero (that one is absolutely gonna be high priority for me) and Aeolus for all your added titles with summarization/suggestion... If I could give out a "Rpg-fan" gold-star for best replies and posts I would totally give it to you Aeolus.....

And to clarify to anyone who seems to have missed the aim here... the idea is to EXPAND the list, not simply keep discussion to the titles on said list... though of course discussion is welcome... reading the posts I got the impression I was unclear about that...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »

Don't forget there are a bunch of Super Robot Wars and Fire Emblem games on the SFC. Most of which have partial or full translations.

Some other interesting SFC tactics games that are worth checking out if you're a serious fan and don't mind older games with a few bumps and wrinkles. Needless to say, Japanese knowledge is required.

Majin Tensei
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis
FEDA: The Emblem of Justice
Power of the Hired
Bahamut Lagoon
Super Famicom Wars
Earth Light: Luna Strike
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »

FEDA's a pretty decent game, kinda Shining Force-ish in design. Though I think it got ported to the Saturn along with a sequel.

Also I'm surprised you didn't mention Treasure Hunter G in your SRPG list, it's pretty good.

I saw one on gamefaqs a few months ago, but forgot it.
Dunno if this is any good, but decide if you like it or not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTwAHEZsSfg

Valis IV was far better on the Turbo CD than on the SuperNES.

Is Valis an RPG?

Maybe if you consider having a barely armored girl swinging a sword around enough to be an RPG.

Didn't the team that made these games go on to form Tri-Ace? I know Sakuraba used to do the music compositions for them before he went on to plagiarizing and remixing himself for every RPG he's worked on since (in fact it's part of my beef with his work since he can do action pieces fairly well but RPGs need more than that and I don't think I've seen him do consistently well on that front). If this is the case then I guess you can sort of make a case for the series (no you can't; hell El Viento was more RPGish than any of the Valis games (save for the NES one and oh god, that's a can of worms in of itself) and even that doesn't really count).

(And while we're on the topic, I'll admit I wouldn't mind seeing this series being revisited someday but Sunsoft seems too content on being completely irrelevant right now and ole' Vic Ireland continues to be bad at business.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:08:11 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

Yeah, sorry about the lack of Dual Orb II and Silva Saga. I have no real experience with them and decided not to take my chances in recommending them.

Alright that i can understand but i would recommend them both for different reasons.

Dual Orb II Considering it's a sequel or sorts to the orginal one that is on the SNES completely different from the original considering  is weapon level upgrading which is very helpful later on in the game. Considering the high encounter rate which discourages just using athe attack command over again but encourages the use of buff and debuff spells the former which lasts for the remainder of battle even when characters are KO Very useful for some ridiculous boss fights.
Code:
Namely the Organa x Eliminat x2 boss fight. That was a battle of attrition for sure. Though here's the kicker buffs stack with each use so it's not going to be noticible till you cast the same spell a few more times on a character.

Silva Saga 2 is the last game of a series the previous ones were on the NES Silva Sage and Minelvaton Saga If you played the two prequels you won't have to guess who the main bad guy is.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:30:56 PM by Tridius » Logged
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

Oh wow, thanks to this thread I'm going to go play the hell out of Bahamut Dragoon again. :D

Also, I have to give some props to FEDA. I loved that it had branching paths. You could be all lawful or be a total chaotic jerk....at least, that's what I remember of it.

Also, while it BARELY is an RPG (more action RPG). Popful Mail is so different from it's SegaCD counterpart that it's worth a look (though the CD version is better).

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »

As for the games that haven't seen an official release but have been translated....
Far East of Eden Zero

Is that true? As far as I know, Dejap started it, but it was never finished.
Although, there is a current effort to release it from Tom, LostTemplar and Byuu.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:50:56 PM by Annubis » Logged
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

FEDA's a pretty decent game, kinda Shining Force-ish in design. Though I think it got ported to the Saturn along with a sequel.

Also I'm surprised you didn't mention Treasure Hunter G in your SRPG list, it's pretty good.

Yea not an exhaustive list, but it's most of them.

Yeah there was a FEDA sequel on Saturn.

Treasure Hunter G is more of a dungeon crawler.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »

Ok, I will totally confirm the sentiment toward the Magic Knight Rayearth title.... it sucks.... but I had to give it a go as I'm a HUGE Rayearth fan (golly gee did I dig that 90's fantasy anime....).... but even my undying love for Rayearth isn't enough for me to say anything good about this.... nothing at all..... nor do I have the right to say anything seeing as how I wouldnt sit through another minute of this game to give it proper time for any critiquing....it is THAT bad...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 03:04:12 AM »

Yea not an exhaustive list, but it's most of them.

Yeah there was a FEDA sequel on Saturn.

You sure it was a sequel? I have the FEDA remake on the SS, same game. Klyde Chroma, if you're interested in ones that never made it the snes is a gold mine. If you ever get the chance to explore the Sega Saturn's J only, you may never have time to post again. Anyone tried Slayers on SNES? Interested in knowing if there's any relation to slayers royale. Hey, great post kc
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 05:58:16 AM »

Yeah, there was a sequel called FEDA 2. Check the tactics game list.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »

Yeah, there was a sequel called FEDA 2. Check the tactics game list.

The list says Saturn, I think they meant PS
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

Klyde- You're not alone there.  I, and plenty of others, enjoyed the Rayearth anime a lot too, but that SNES game was terrible.  I beat it a long time ago, and I must have been a more patient man back then.  I know there was a Saturn Rayearth RPG that wasn't bad, but it wasn't highly praised in the press.  The average anime-based RPG is lousy, but I did like that Sailor Moon SNES RPG and I actually found the Naruto: Path of the Ninja games for DS fun.  Seriously, those games weren't bad at all.  Hell, they were actually good and that really surprised me

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: