Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 01:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338166 Posts in 13844 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Touch Detective
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Touch Detective  (Read 4548 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »

1up review.

This sounds like it has what I'm afraid of. Damn. :P
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »

Damn, say it ain't so. Now I'm reluctant to play this. Just when I was getting back into the whole adventure phase. Hmmm.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 08:16:12 PM »

It's probably worth waiting on what the others like Neal say about the puzzles: However, two reviews the complain about getting stuck, and one that goes into detail about it, make me worry that this'll have frustrating non-sensical crap like the second URL showed.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 12:08:28 PM »

Well, I have it preordered so I'll give impressions this weekend.  I have midterms this week, so little to no gaming for me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »

I'm going to pick it up today and play it this week.  I'll let you guys know what I think.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »

Double post!  Anyways,  I'm almost finished with the game and I have come to the decision that I'm not parting with the game.  I really like it.  I'm not sure why it got so many bad reviews (translation:  I didn't read the reviews).  

I have heard talk about illogical puzzles.  Honestly I think everything fits into the the Touch Detective World.  The cases aren't run of the mill cases.  They have a touch of the fantastical to it.  So doing weird stuff to solve weird cases seems alright to me.  I haven't gotten stuck yet.  I have felt no need to consult a FAQ and I'm on the last case.  Perhaps that will change, but as far as I have experienced, there has been no frustration on my part.  Although I have been playing adventure games most of my life and have run into the most insane illogical puzzles in the past.  Perhaps I am better equiped to think outside the box than the reviewers are.

Currently Reading: 

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »

CLueless- I'm with you on this one.  I'm halfway through the first case and I fail to see what the reviewers are whining about.  In fact, I've played critically acclaimed adventure games with puzzles that defied the boundaries of illogic, complexity, or both (some of the puzzles in Grim Fandango and the Monkey Island games come to mind).  

Touch Detective is a great game.  And if I hit a snag, I just retrace my steps, talk to people again, click everything to find something, and find an "a ha!" moment.  

I'm enjoying this game a lot more than Contact.  Contact is fun, but the amount of grinding needed to kill cheap-ass bosses with unavoidable area attacks is making want a GameShark.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »

Well, this is reassuring. But I think I'll still wait for the time being, there's just way too much awesome stuff coming down the pipe.

Edit: Though the reviews are probably good for those of us like me that are interested in Graphic Adventures, but don't play them enough to have the right logic to go through them without issue.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »

Okay, I officially completed this game (4 cases + Bonus Episode).  For the cases, I did not have to consult any help.  Like Dincrest said, if you are stuck, just go back and visit previous places.  A lot of times I had to talk a specific character like Chloe and hear her crazy plans before the plot rolled on.  Speaking of which, the characters are wonderfully zany.  I had a lot of fun with this game.    

Oh, I did visit gamefaqs because I was missing one item on the touch list. I didn't get anything for finishing the list other than sating my OCD. The game gets two big thumbs up for me.

Currently Reading: 

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 12:01:27 AM »

It's funny... when I get stuck in Touch Detective, it doesn't bother me.  It's like I know the answers are there, I just need to hunt for them.  On the other hand, being stuck in Contact sucks because level grinding isn't fun, and grinding's what you need to do to get unstuck.  The 2nd boss still kicks my sorry ass.  

I'll be shelving Contact for a while, because Touch Detective is way more fun for me.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: