Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2016, 03:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248260 Posts in 7443 Topics by 2389 Members
Latest Member: FenixDrakken
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Standalone fantasy novels thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Standalone fantasy novels thread  (Read 4333 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »

In that case, the Drizzt books probably are right up your alley. The Dark Elf Trilogy and The Icewind Dale trilogy are both good. I didn't read any beyond that though so I can't comment on the rest. Also, R.A. Salvatore may not be the best fantasy writer, but the dude can write the hell out of a fight scene. There are actually over 30 Drizzt books, but they're usually told in an insular trilogy format so you don't really need to read one trilogy to hop into another.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »

Can we do a semi-hijack and make this a general fantasy thread?

I'm looking for some recommendations for a fantasy book or series. I'd like a fantasy/ dark fantasy setting, something like the Dark Souls world where you exist in something deep but might not be aware of the history and not a Tolkien thing where they beat you over the head with history and detail. Do the Drizzt books fall in this style? Sorry if I spelled that incorrectly.

I'd rather not tangent this into a generic fantasy thread because then it would be like every other generic fantasy thread, and this one focuses on standalone fantasy novels for those who want to read a fantasy novel but not want to commit to a multi-book series. 

That being said, I think you might like R. Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" trilogy.  I personally couldn't get into it, but it has the elements you're looking for to scratch your particular itch.  I also think you might enjoy some of Brandon Sanderson's work, like the first Mistborn trilogy- it isn't "omg grimdark" but it does have a pretty bleak setting. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »

Ever read Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker? It's not fantasy in the traditional sense but it's worth a read. The writing style take a little bit of getting used to, but I found it to be a pretty rewarding book.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Dick

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

One book that comes to mind is "The Folding Knife" by K.J. Parker.  I'm not gonna do it a disservice by trying to summarize it, but trust me when I say it's excellent.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is another one.  There have been a couple of sequels to it that I haven't read yet, but that's a modern gold standard for a well-crafted fantasy novel that wraps up everything by the end.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: