Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318971 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  And the #1 Magical Girl is....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: And the #1 Magical Girl is....  (Read 923 times)
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »

A japanese poll was conducted to determine the most popular magical girl....

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/06-1/poll-what-is-the-best-magical-girl-anime-for-you

I've been digging the magical girl stuff lately (probably because I've been playing the hell out of Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2) so I thought I would throw this up here seeing as how the anime-related news and posts here are few and far between...

So how do you guys feel about it? I just finished season 1 of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (sp?) and while I gotta say its decent.... I can't accept her beating out Sailor Moon for number 1.... and I also need to admit that I feel the originality of Madoka Magica (I know I'm spelling this stuff wrong...) puts the Madoka series a hair ahead of Nanoha for me as well.....

So thats my feelings on the top three.... While admittingly I need more exposure to all the Magical girl stuff (just recently got into the genre)... so my opinion doesn't hold much water anyhow...

Anyone more experienced Magical Girl fans care to offer their feelings, input or favorite big-eyed-super-transforming-regurgitated yet oh so enjoyable-super-heroines?

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

I can live with Sakura being number 2, at least she beat Madoka.

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

Season 2 will make you see why Nanoha really is the best magical girl out there.
All hail the white devil !
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »

I can live with Sakura being number 2, at least she beat Madoka.

I liked Madoka... in the last episode. 
Special credit to her for seeing her magic-girl-friends get either consumed by darkness or decapitated.

Anyone else find Sailor Moon... unattractive?  Them pigtails did nothing for me, she usually only looked good in big official [anime] art.  Ah well, I thought she was cool though.

Sakura was cool too.  I thought Tomoyo recording it all and *making* her outfits was kinda stupid; she must be bored with life.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »

Actually I'd argue that Nanoha as a character really didn't do anything that awesome until StrikerS and the final scenes there of. As a whole she felt kinda generic. The only thing really different about her compared to other magical girls is she has a bigger, metaphorical, 'gun'. I'm okay with it being top of the list though.

Cardcaptor...eh. It's okay in second.

Madoka...ugh. Still don't get why people like this show. ~.~ It's pretty much ruined by one freaking huge plot hole that turns the main character into an unlikeable douchebag.

Code:
Oh hey, my friend and mentor died and I'm not even going to [b]try or ask[/b] about
using my 'wish' to bring her back to life. And never mind any thoughts that she can't, because at
show's end it's revealed her wishing power is enough to [i]reboot the entire damn universe.[/i]

Huh, guess you didn't really give two craps about Mami and pretty much just faked your sadness
about that incident the entire show.

Sailor Moon should've been taken down a peg or two. It was good for it's time and did help evolve the genre but that show really isn't aging well.

Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne deserves to be a few spots higher. Maybe even more so than Sailor Moon as I felt it had stronger characters and a far better lead.

I don't think I've seen anything else on that list. But I am rather astounded that Mai Hime and Tokyo Mew Mew didn't even grace the lower ends of it. So much so I'm almost tempted to call 'foul' on the list as a whole. They're both at least B - B+ grade Magical Girl shows in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:41:34 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »

On the one hand, Polls; ugh.

On the other hand, yeah I can see it, if for no other reason than the fact that with the latest series, she's not so much of a magical girl anymore given the fact that's either past or pushing 30, nevermind where her character arc had gone during that time (although her character itself is blander than dishwater; but then again, what magical girl's personality isn't?), but despite that is still a relevant asskicker. A feat that I doubt any other character in those listed series have accomplished (usually they either never age or become useless as they do).

As for Sailor Moon, I'm going to assume that like Nanoha above they're taking the manga series into account which blows the anime versions of Sailor Moon completely out of the water.

Also it's amusing that the Pretty Cure series poster has exactly two facial expressions used throughout save for the one exception where somebody's winking.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: