Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334846 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Aksys to release Ragnarok Tactics in the fall for PSP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Aksys to release Ragnarok Tactics in the fall for PSP  (Read 1932 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2012/060712b.html

Didn't see anything in the new section or any threads about this.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »

I'm honestly surprised about this.  This is one I didn't expect to see Stateside.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »

Cool I guess. It is similar to Tactics Ogre (dramatic plot, multiple endings, etc.) so it's not a total shock consider how well that game did.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »

I thought Tactics Ogre bombed in the U.S.?

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:47:22 AM »

I don't have exact numbers (does anyone anymore?) but I think it did pretty well considering the forum activity over it.

Anyway, if you liked TO you'll probably like this.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

I THINK it did pretty well... for the kind of game it is. Given how it's supposed to have been a very low budget game I imagine the threshold for success was very small.

Now, Lords of Arcana, pretty sure that was a straight up bomb. it'd explain why we didn't the update/sequel/whatever here for Vita ASAP despite being a launch title.

EDIT: And it's hard to find any concrete info. I know it was the best selling PSP game in the month it came out, which doesn't say much but may be a positive sign that at least among PSP owners it was far from ignored.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:45:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »

Makes sense that Lord of Arcana bombed. Awful game. :P

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:29 AM »

I THINK it did pretty well... for the kind of game it is. Given how it's supposed to have been a very low budget game I imagine the threshold for success was very small.

Now, Lords of Arcana, pretty sure that was a straight up bomb. it'd explain why we didn't the update/sequel/whatever here for Vita ASAP despite being a launch title.

EDIT: And it's hard to find any concrete info. I know it was the best selling PSP game in the month it came out, which doesn't say much but may be a positive sign that at least among PSP owners it was far from ignored.
Arcana might as well have bombed, it didn't have much/any competition the month it came out here. Lord of Apocalypse is the PSP/Vita sequel, which didn't do all that well in Japan if I recall. Pretty sure TO at LEAST did quite a bit better than Arcana here. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

I love games that throw their genre into their title name

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »

Arcana might as well have bombed, it didn't have much/any competition the month it came out here. Lord of Apocalypse is the PSP/Vita sequel, which didn't do all that well in Japan if I recall. Pretty sure TO at LEAST did quite a bit better than Arcana here. :P

Guess it's as good as dead then. Eh, maybe it's for the best.
I love games that throw their genre into their title name

It seems like a problem with SRPGs in general. Make one as a spin off? Call it <Franchise> Tactics! Hell, maybe throw tactics in even if it isn't such a spin off.

The fact there weren't too many strategy RPGs in the US before FFT is probably a factor here.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »

One of the other likely reasons (in the case of FFT at least) was to differentiate it from the 'main' FF titles at the time. Unlike Shining Force, Fire Emblem, etc., FF wasn't exactly known for strategy RPG elements until that game. =P

Ragnarok games are a little more all over the map I think, and its Japanese name was probably too long anyway. Hell I'm surprised this game is even coming over.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »

I wasn't expecting this to be localized. On the other hand, if I had to choose which JP tactics games were most likely to be localized, this would be a far more likely choice than stuff like Queen's Blade, Daisenryaku, Moe Moe Daisensou, SRW, etc.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

I'm excited enough for this. I usually get any Tactics game in loving memory of Final Fantasy Tactics. And having played the MMORPG, it could be fun. I'm just not expecting TOO much. :)

pigTails of...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: