Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334801 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Getting psyched for Gungnir
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Getting psyched for Gungnir  (Read 6546 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »

Wow, such a glowing review! I am surprised, I was figuring something middling considered a few of us just got bored with the game.

Ya I am surprised to, I had heard so many middling things. But this definitely renews my interest in it.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »

I read the review this morning and the game got bumped up from a maybe to a must-buy. It sounds really good, though I have a feeling that "Playing into a corner" is exactly what I'm gonna wind up doing. =P I guess I'll have to make multiple saves as Ashton suggested.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »

The review/score seems a little overrated to me. I give it around an 80. It's more balanced, polished, and less random than Yggdra Union, but it's still rough around the edges and leans too heavily on RNG in the higher difficulty modes. I agree they should have added optional grind scenarios to the Basic and Advance modes, while leaving Nightmare mode to the higher level players.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »

Decent review. On Advance and Nightmare it's not much about dealing damage and beats, it's more about % based damage (burn, poison, Ragnarok), status effects, and instant death (knockbacks mostly).
Yeah, which is why I said most casual SRPG fans should probably give it a pass. Too many battlefields on Advanced required me to force enemies into the edge in order to Zone Out them, which is really annoying sometimes.

As for the score, what can I say? I am an unabashed Sting fan.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 12:52:09 AM »

I also cleared the game on advanced.  It was very fun and challenging but I clearly didn't enjoy it as much as you did.  I did not like the story much for one thing.  I felt like you didn't actually go anywhere during the game (world map wise), I didn't like any of the characters except Elise (who didn't get enough screentime), race/class conflict stories don't do it for me, and I felt let down that you never got to fight any demon bosses.  Way too many loose ends.  

Combat-wise I have no complaints other than that the battles take way too long.  I'm sure it would be faster on Basic but some of the battles took me about 2 hours to complete.  It doesn't help that you can't save in any way during the battles and if you screw up and die you have to re-do the entire thing.  

also, why no editor's choice award if it got over 90%?  is there some other criteria for that I don't know about?  
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »

I didn't give it an editor's choice award because despite loving the game, I am a pretty big SRPG player, and thus my opinion should be taken from the viewpoint from someone who likes SRPGs. It's not something that has wide-market appeal, but is a pretty much must-buy for those who are passionate enough about the subgenre. Editor's Choice is an award for games that almost anyone will enjoy, regardless of their predilections.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

Ah.  Guess that explains why the games I like never get them, lol...

edit:  well maybe not never, Dark Souls got it and I like that
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:08:07 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:55 AM »

We hand them out very rarely. I've only ever given two (and one was for a retro review).

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 03:01:15 AM »

Besides, Sting games are known for not having mass appeal due to using different (almost to the point of outlandish) mechanics than your typical RPG even if it doesn't always work.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 05:32:03 AM »

in my opinion this is a case where it didnt work. because of how leveling system works i felt like enemies were getting stronger and i wasnt. try to imagine a fire emblem game where the only stat that goes up when you lvl is hp and your almost there. except gungnir gameplay systems artificially inflate difficulty. in most states you can only deploy 4 characters despite being an army and your fighting like 20 dudes wich gives the AI a massive advantage in tactical point generation. in later stages i felt like i was a slave to the beat system wich sapped all fun out of the game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: