Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 07:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329479 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Baten Kaitos Origins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Baten Kaitos Origins  (Read 6379 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:51:02 AM »

Just saw this game on gamespot. Apparently it was released two days ago. I knew a second one was in the works, but this caught me off guard.
I know most around here didn't like the first one too much, but will anyone give this new one a try? I liked the first one, so I might get this one in 6 months time when it drops it's price.
From the very short clip, I would say it resembles a lot the first game, which, as long as they improve upon some aspects of it's antecessor, is a fine thing to me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:59:22 AM »

Even if it's a massive improvement, I hear it still has stupidly long battles - that alone is enough of a turn off that, unless I hear of a lot of people who hated it suddenly /loving/ it, I still will blow it off.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:06:06 AM »

The first game sucked ass. If this is anything like it, I want to buy it just so i can write a bad review and game hatemail.

V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 01:32:13 AM »

I loved the first game (aside from some of the aforementioned lengthy battles) and am planning on getting this game as soon as I go back to my folks' place and pick up my Gamecube. This'll be the first time I'll play GC, well....since the first Baten Kaitos.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 01:54:03 AM »

Definitely going to check this one out. I for one enjoyed the battle system of the first installment since it made you actively think and think FAST when coming up with attacks and defenses as opposed to hitting Attack or even Auto-battling repeatedly *coughSuikodenVcough*. I'm a big fan of the gameplay, and the story wasn't that bad. What almost killed it for me was the slow pacing of the game, but I decided to stick through it and ended up having an enjoyable gaming experience.

But of course, being a penny pincher I'll wait for the price to drop on this one.  Sucks though because before this I have to buy a new GC since mine died on me recently. Thankfully they're pretty cheap nowadays.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:02:13 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
But of course, being a penny pincher I'll wait for the price to drop on this one.  Sucks though because before this I have to buy a new GC since mine died on me recently. Thankfully they're pretty cheap nowadays.

Dead GC? Sheesh, may as well just hold over for the Wii unless you're /really/ apprehensive about it. At least with a PS2 you can count on several great games still coming out, not to mention that the GC's over half the price (barely) of a Wii, not somewhere around 1/5th or 1/6th.

(How do GameCubes die?)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:06:59 AM »

Like Eusis said, how did your Game Cube die? Mine is still alive and kicking and got it since day one. Better off spending on a Wii since its backwards compatable and hey, new games too!

Like a few others, I personally enjoyed the 1st Baten Kaitos a lot and nice to know im not the only one in that group. I am bound to get it in a few weeks or so (once again, saving up for a con next month), but I shall return here (if the thread is still alive) to post some of my feedback on it. I look forward to playing it one day.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 02:08:17 AM »

I have no idea, haha. I was really surprised when it happened too. I was just playing Fire Emblem and suddenly it wasn't able to read the disc. I tried other discs and none of them work either. So I don't really know what to do. I've never had a problem with Nintendo hardware before, so it was kinda shocking.

I can definitely hold off on the Wii. I'm not exactly super-excited about it.

Edit: Oh, well since the Wii's backward compatible, I'll hold off then. I have a ton of PS2 crap to play anyway.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 03:02:30 AM »

Sand is not alone. My Gamecube gave out on me as well, sometime ago. I sent it in for repairs, and they replaced the control deck. I paid $50, and was disappointed. I hadn't hit it against anything either. I've always kept it in great shape, so I was confused.

As for Baten Kaitos Origins, I bought it yesterday. I'll play it eventually, perhaps on the Wii, when I get one. :P But I understand the complaints people have from the first one.
ShdwDrake
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 05:26:03 AM »

I loved the first one. The best part for me was the card collecting and deck building. I love TCGs! Imma definatly pick this one up as well.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:37:55 AM »

I join the 0.05% of the gaming population who enjoyed this game....quite a bit if I might add.
Code:
kudos to this game adding a really original story element- the main guy betraying your sorry asses willingly, and not by the influence of some evil-thing-guy

I can't wait to pick this up, hearing its an improvement makes my pants shake (?). =D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »

There are some GC's that run into a problem with laser alignment. There is a faq on gamefaqs how to fix it.

I disliked the first game strongly, my OCD didn't like having to collect cards etc.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »

Well, I may give the first one a rent and see how it goes, i'm not expecting much as I really, really hate card based games.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 12:13:08 PM »

Good to know most people who posted liked the first game. Hehe, it seems  the admirers were hidden somewhere.
I mean, as someone else noted, the plot was original, and nowhere near as half assed as people think of it. By the end of it, I did like the story overall - I agree it was slow paced.
The soundtrack was one of the best, and the graphics had some very fine scenery. The battles killed the game for me in the first hours, but after I decided to give it a go, I started to like it, for all the strategy involved. After a while random battles became a drag, but the challenging boss battles were amazing, and considering the fact there were no random encounters, and that the dungeons were pretty short, it sums up well.
Well, when someone does play give your impressions.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »

I'm a fan of the first game too.  I mean my jaw seriously dropped when the plot twist came.  I was completely blind-sided and that doesn't happen very often.

I actually pre-orderd and paid for BKO (MSRP $39.99).  Oddly enough I haven't gotten that automated phone call yet so I need find out what's up with that.

The folks over at neogaf seem to love it.  A few of the importers say it is even better than the first game in terms of story.  So I definitely need to check it out.

The second game switches things up, for instance there is only one deck also you have the same 3 party members the whole game.  This leads to better character development they say.    

I plan on playing this after I finish Xenosaga III so I'll definitely post my impressions.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: