Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331662 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Radiata Stories
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Radiata Stories  (Read 5645 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »

The supportive abilities to issue comands to buff your characters or take formation were a pretty neat concept, but unfortunantly wasn't enough to bring up such a 'eh' combat system.

My main problem though was how everything just fell appart when I picked the non-human side. It kinda felt like the game wanted to drill it in your head that A.The main character was a TOTAL moron who was completely ignorant of the situation and that B.you, the player, picked the 'wrong' side(Though I'd imagine that it probably would have did this whichever side I picked). Then there was the characters and the homebase. I went from a cool town to basically a shack and despite lots of character choices I didn't really want to use any of them.

Nail in the coffin was the ending. No conclusion whatsoever.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »

The game screams sequal, or atleast a side story.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 12:51:28 AM »

Nail in the coffin was the ending. No conclusion whatsoever.

For fucking sake, can't you use a spoiler mark?! Can't you see this thread was opened by someone currently PLAYING the game.
Some people...

EDIT: Edit the quotation, to avoid further spoiling.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 01:22:23 AM »

Seriously man. Spoiler tags in the future, big pet peeve.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:56:52 AM »

Sorry, wasn't thinking of 'nothing happens' as a spoiler :P

Went ahead and took out a line.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 04:03:24 AM »

Quote from: "Raze"
Sorry, wasn't thinking of 'nothing happens' as a spoiler :P

Went ahead and took out a line.

Except that you could've just used the spoiler tag. Speaking of which, I find it amusing how it got quoted but the spoiler tag was left unused. :P
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 06:23:04 AM »

Ok this is going to sound like trolling but how can anybody play this game? It feels like playing a first generation PS1 game with pathetic control, irritating battles and bland music. And having a character portrait 99% the size of the entire screen present for 90% of the entire battle didn't help any.

I didn't like a single thing about this game.

Seriously, did tri-Ace actually make this?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 06:29:06 AM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"

It wasn't directed by the same guy as the rest of their games, so that's about as close as you'll get to 'they didn't do it'.

And that 'bland music' sounded like it was torn straight out of Mario Kart Double Dash. What the fuck.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
Ok this is going to sound like trolling but how can anybody play this game? It feels like playing a first generation PS1 game with pathetic control, irritating battles and bland music. And having a character portrait 99% the size of the entire screen present for 90% of the entire battle didn't help any.

I didn't like a single thing about this game.

I only played about 20 hours into this game, but when DQVIII came out, I traded it in towards that. I liked what I played of it.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the way the NPCs worked really did make the game come alive. I also liked the settings. Battles were nothing spectacular as mentioned,I wish there was more to them.

I wouldn't mind picking the game up again just to finish it. I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't amazing either. It was just..good.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »

I thought NPC's were fun as well.  Though they didn't have interesting stories behind them (which is why people seem to prefer getting 108 Stars of Destiny rather than 177 Friends), they were still unique and interesting.

But honestly, I don't like this game; it was good for a run before you can hardly stand it.  The fucking Path of the Spider can burn in hell, as well as Goblin Cemetary.  I liked the atmosphere, but otherwise I think its safe to say (argueably) that it is Tri-Ace's worst.  And if not its worst, then for a TA game, the battle system was pretty weak.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »

I beat the game yesterday - today's morning actually - and I have to say it was a rewarding experience.
First of all, let me say I am relieved. I was stuck in the last dungeon, without my strongest characters and few healing items; I got my ass kicked about 3 times and the last boss still had about 5.000 HP. I thought I wouldn't be able to beat the game, but then I kept wandering through the dungeon, and every 15/20 minutes I found a respawned enemy. In the end I was able to level up about twice, considering the enemies there give you a lot of exp. Then I could beat the boss, with only Jack alive and all my healing items wasted. Close call.
Anyway, the battle is mostly button smashing - considering you have some healing items to back you up - but still I had fun with it. Still, not the best Tri-Ace job.
The graphics are good and match the game. The songs do match the game, but they are not my cup of tea.
I was expecting a really mediocre and very cliché storyline, from all I had read about the game, but I do think people were too rash in their opinions.
First of all, the plot has some clichés, but considerably less than other games, specially when you have in mind all the different stuff the game provides.
I chose the human path, and the first good surprise was how they portrayed humanity and their antagonists. Without giving too much in and spoling the game, let me say I enjoyed the fact my side was not meant to be the devil incarnate - like it is so common to see, humans = bad to put it simple. Non humans were vile and vicious in their hate toward humans - elves specially - and most often than not, humans were just trying to stay alive. Sure I saw the "humans are greedy and vile creatures who destroy everything" type of reasoning, but that was more the perspective of the non humans than something the developers were trying to encompass in the game.
Code:
Furthermore, I thought Lucian a very fine NPC. He was meant to be the tool of destruction of humanity, it was his fate as some sort of "God", but out of his own will he betrays everyone and the natural order itself to give a chance to humans to further develop their civilization, because even considering all the misgivings, he thought the merits should also be taken into consideration. Anyway, what I mean is that I thought this one was original and well done.

Of course there were the shortcomings as well. I can barely stand anymore characters saying "It is my destiny" to explain their choices - who played know what I mean, two NPCs specifically. Even if in this game that short of answer makes a bit of sense, it is still a frustrating and mediocre way of conducting things.
Also, the whole last boss dialogue and it's conclusion afterwards is pretty ridiculous. I mean Jack's reaction and replies to
Code:
Lucian
. When you take into consideration all I have said in the paragraph spoiler marked, it's painfull to watch all that self righteousness in Jack; it's awkward. It spoiled the experience for me, but I am used to it in JRPGs.
I also have to second the people complaining about the ending. It was the shortest crap I have ever seen.
Other few complaints, like some plot holes, unexplained events, few story scenes - this game took me almost 40 hours, but there were very few story sequences proportionally.
Anyway, the story does have it's misgivings and a fair share of discrepancy, but it was overall a fine and original experience to me.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: