Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331455 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Chrono Break officially announced; out Summer 2013...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Chrono Break officially announced; out Summer 2013...  (Read 4703 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

Trepidation, largely because Cross to me is pretty much Chrono in name only.

Given the developers literally said that's what it was it probably would be best to just try something that's in spirit Chrono or uses dimensonal or time travel stuff.

Then again with FFXIII-2 I wonder if they have people they COULD do that justice. Maybe if they just kept Toriyama away, FFXIII-2 really didn't use that in a way that was interesting for the most part, even being blatantly game-y to the point where it's actually NOT better for fun, IE paradoxes being "cleared" by just going to an area and clearing it, even if there seems to be no real connection like you'd see with Chrono Trigger.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »

FFXIII-2 really didn't use that in a way that was interesting for the most part, even being blatantly game-y to the point where it's actually NOT better for fun, IE paradoxes being "cleared" by just going to an area and clearing it, even if there seems to be no real connection like you'd see with Chrono Trigger.

So you don't sneak alone into a portal; not wanting anyone else to see the terrible sin of that past you'll be trying to prevent on a certain NPC who you wondered why she was always on a chair only for you to realize that she actually couldn't get up since she was crippled entirely due to one of your character's childhood mistake which she regrets every day of her life?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »

FFXIII-2 really didn't use that in a way that was interesting for the most part, even being blatantly game-y to the point where it's actually NOT better for fun, IE paradoxes being "cleared" by just going to an area and clearing it, even if there seems to be no real connection like you'd see with Chrono Trigger.

So you don't sneak alone into a portal; not wanting anyone else to see the terrible sin of that past you'll be trying to prevent on a certain NPC who you wondered why she was always on a chair only for you to realize that she actually couldn't get up since she was crippled entirely due to one of your character's childhood mistake which she regrets every day of her life?

No, in FFXIII-2 you
Code:
stop a solar eclipse caused by a fal'Cie by going forward in time to when it was supposed to be doing this, solve puzzles that "clear paradoxes",
get in a fight at the end and grab a crystal or whatever, then go back to the original time period and no more fal'Cie eclipse!

You never encounter anything related to this fal'Cie in the time period you went. Also, "you change the future you change the past".

I still enjoyed the game way more than I expected, but a good use of time travel it definitely wasn't. Radiant Historia's better to play if you want a spiritual Chrono successor, even if the time travel frame is reduced to the normal time span of a JRPG.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:36:44 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »

Radiant Historia managed to pull it off gracefully even if it was all too convenient at times (two timelines perfectly resolve and issue...ANY you're facing).  Oddly enough, it wasn't too convoluted to deal with two pretty different stories either.

FF13-2's writers should be ashamed of the hack story they made, but like Eus, I enjoyed the lot of it much more than I expected.  I just wish I played and had time to play it in Normal than Easy. x(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

I'd always though Radiant Historia more groundhog day than CT. Except with less Bill Murray and more Super Spy / Soldier.

And just for making this thread.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

When a problem comes along....

in Radiant Historia:
- It's usually due to one of the armies you're currently fighting or the villain with the same powers as your own protagionist.
- Solution? Step back in time to try to approach to problem from a different angle, or failing that stepping over to that other path that sent you over to the other side of the continent in hopes that the solution will eventually reveal itself there.
- Unless, the act that you performed wasn't what you should've done in which case you get maybe a hollow victory but at the cost of the world's future because you weren't playing the long game far enough or too far depending on the situation.
- Or there is no solution and you simply need to move on with your life because the world isn't going to save itself.

in FFXIII-2:
- A Paradox did it!
- Solution? Do random crap, play a few board games, or fight random assholes until the timeline unshits it self.
- Unless, of course, for some reason you weren't supposed to fight that particular asshole in that particular way in which case you get something like this

and the game gives you no discernible reason why.
- Or there is no solution but fortunately for you a literal goddess has your back on this one (regardless of the catastrophic consequences that will inevitably follow that somebody else will have to fix later).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »

I found FF13-Poo funny in that way.  Losing was actually the better option if the Paradox Endings told you anything.  You actually kill Atlas, he rampages the world years later.  Wtf.

I'm also going to have to steal the phrase:
unshits it self.

I don't "lol" often...but today I did,

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »

Even though I liked Radiant Historia, one problem I had with it was just how constrained it felt for a game about time travel. All the choices were basically isolated from each other. You chose the wrong answer, you get a bad ending immediately and it will never matter after that. If you ever get stuck you just hopped over to the other timeline and progressed in it until you got what you needed. There's a couple side-quests but I don't remember any of them nearly as much as the Forest scenarios in either of the Chrono games.

And I guess another thing is that the setting felt kinda...generic to me. Both Chrono games were definately more varied/creative visually.

EDIT: oh right

dice sucks
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »

Raze's posted picture angers me.... >:(

I thought if anything suffered in Radiant Historia, not so much setting, but the interface was pretty "bleh".  The menu and controls didn't feel to responsive and lacked a sort of finesse you see in other titles.  And for a game with such awesome 2D graphics, it was kind of left only to battles.  Raynie had giant dotted eyes, but Stocke had eye-whites and a mouth.  Then Rosch rushes in being twice the size of every damn character.  Other character sprites even got noses when no others did.  Then the frame-rate, again outside of battle only (in battle they were outstanding!), was pathetic.  Stock had a 3-frame running animation when his normal STANDING battle stance looked at LEAST 7.  And for that late a game in the DS cycle, and for how big the fields were, it's a shame we only had 4-direction treatment than at least 8 (again factoring in to why the game felt weird to play sometimes, it does sort of feel restrictive).

I ramble.  But yeah, for a game about time travel, the game was surprisingly linear.  I guess the fact you could technically go to any point you wanted despite all that was good though.  I like how at least the bad ending showed pretty dire consequences; half of the CC/CT ones are...sorta stupid, and FF13-Poo didn't even try at all to make a good story let alone an [alternate] ending.

EDIT: Speaking of ludicrous or "convenient" plot elements -- anyone else *hate* that a major plot point involved going into the ocean to retrieve the engine of an ALIEN...ALIEN spaceship???  Not to diss on Starky, he is adorable... but both he and the shit as a plot device felt incredibly contrived.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:32:03 AM by Dice » Logged

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »

Starkey would be just another stupid character I threw with the other cc stupid characters and forgot about. But then he still managed to haunt me since mah boy Norris ended up having to use stupid toy guns instead of proper ones.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »

I actually liked Norris for some weird raisin.  Viper too (maybe it was just cool to have a Manor's lord on board.... RHYME POINTS).

Starky...was ok, later on.
Unfortunately, I wanted to get Glen, and dual-wielding.. so that fucked all character planning.  Maybe I should give the game another go -- but the fair way.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 05:41:57 AM »

Viper was a baller for being able to call down an air strike and for wielding a motherfucking anchor sword. Though Fargo was the man thanks to a quick level 7 tech and being the only one to steal those wonderful plates or so I would have said if that godawful S.S. Zebless didn't exist or at least if it wasn't his alternate self who was responsible for trapping you there to begin with (though I will give him the fact that he looks like a pirated Freddy Mercury, but man oh man, does everything about S.S. Zebless suck ass). Actually I'll probably go with the Luchidor Priest/Exorcist or that guy from Mad Max 2.

Also to get Glen, all you need to do is to tell the doc that a crazy bitch named Kid ain't worth savin'; this ain't Heroes after all.

As for Radiant Historia, my problem with it was the fact that it really was tied down by it's shoe string budget. It still amazes me that we even got to see it make it off the drawing board.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: