Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Robocop reboot 2014!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Robocop reboot 2014!  (Read 4616 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

Also going to be watching this and giving it a fair shake. Just now watched the trailer and...eh. I see potential but...way too much face early on. It's like the director failed filmography 101 and had no conception of what made the original Robocop transition work. Murphy's face shouldn't be visible that early into the RC transformation. Also he's giving off way too much emotion upon his first boot-up. Doesn't matter if it's 'residual/reactionary' as the script tries to pass it off as. Throwing it in there early removes any suspense regarding the whole "how much is man vs machine" angle.

I mean yeah, it's a reboot movie upon a still remembered original. Expecting Murphy to turn more human is like expecting Godzilla to trample a major city in any of his movies; it's not going to be a well hidden secret. You still at least "try" to keep the threads of consistency tightly woven.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:28:55 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »

Tch, stop hatin. This movie looks awesome, quit worrying about the finer details. This is far more logical anyway, how the hell would you let a couple of officers walk into a criminal hideout with such trashy equipment and get shot up worse than a paper target at a shooting range, then turn him into a nigh invincible walking death machine? At least the carbomb makes sense in terms of legitimate fucking over to super battle cyborg.

Yeah, maybe the death in the first one was a bit over the top, but my point was that you actually felt something as a result of it. It leaves a lasting impression for the rest of the movie. Yeah, near-invincible on the outside, but torn the fuck up on the inside. The flashbacks he had of being brutally murdered, fueled his anger and despair. He was fucking angry at those pieces of shit.
Now, thanks to modern lazy writing, it's as easy as some unknown chubby short mobster named Big Tony rigging Murphy's car, and now Murphy just needs to turn a key, and boom - wakes up as Robocop. Bet they really racked their brains over that one. Makes more sense, but there's nothing behind it.
I see your point, but it just seems like they are taking the easy way out (or IN, as the case may be). Who knows, though? Maybe they have another means of fueling Murphy's desire for revenge (or whatever) in this new one, which I assume is the case, as this preview speaks of him going against protocol.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:32:32 PM by natros » Logged
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

Tch, stop hatin. This movie looks awesome, quit worrying about the finer details. This is far more logical anyway, how the hell would you let a couple of officers walk into a criminal hideout with such trashy equipment and get shot up worse than a paper target at a shooting range, then turn him into a nigh invincible walking death machine? At least the carbomb makes sense in terms of legitimate fucking over to super battle cyborg.

Yeah, maybe the death in the first one was a bit over the top, but my point was that you actually felt something as a result of it. It leaves a lasting impression for the rest of the movie. Yeah, near-invincible on the outside, but torn the fuck up on the inside. The flashbacks he had of being brutally murdered, fueled his anger and despair. He was fucking angry at those pieces of shit.
Now, thanks to modern lazy writing, it's as easy as some unknown chubby short mobster named Big Tony rigging Murphy's car, and now Murphy just needs to turn a key, and boom - wakes up as Robocop. Bet they really racked their brains over that one. Makes more sense, but there's nothing behind it.
I see your point, but it just seems like they are taking the easy way out (or IN, as the case may be). Who knows, though? Maybe they have another means of fueling Murphy's desire for revenge (or whatever) in this new one, which I assume is the case, as this preview speaks of him going against protocol.

For some reason, I laughed my ass off when I read, "Torn the fuck up on the inside", and "He was fucking angry at those pieces of shit.". 

Can you fly, Bobby?

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

For some reason, I laughed my ass off when I read, "Torn the fuck up on the inside", and "He was fucking angry at those pieces of shit.". 

As you should have. I was being too dramatic about a campy 80s movie, I know.

"Bitches, leave!"

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

I think everyone just loved the grittyness of the original film.  It actually seemed like a scary place to live (although I hear the actual city of Detroit is deemed the worst city in America, it makes sense.).

It might be if anyone actually lived there anymore.

Also I'm kinda disappointed in hearing that Lewis will be male in this because it just screams to me that the change is only for the sake of not having to kill off a female character (that isn't also a villain, a slut, or the love interest (aka roaring rampage of revenge fodder)) when they will inevitably kill off Lewis in the next movie or so.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »

That was another negative point about this reboot, and that's Lewis being a male.  I'm waiting on someone to comment on Harvey Dent being an African Amercian in Batman '89 and people complained, yet the movie was good, but Harvey wasn't a main character in that film.  I'm digressing, though.  Like I said, I'll check it out, on the aspect of me pretending that the original doesn't exist and review it based on that (even though that might be impossible,lol).

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »

That was another negative point about this reboot, and that's Lewis being a male.  I'm waiting on someone to comment on Harvey Dent being an African Amercian in Batman '89 and people complained, yet the movie was good, but Harvey wasn't a main character in that film.  I'm digressing, though.  Like I said, I'll check it out, on the aspect of me pretending that the original doesn't exist and review it based on that (even though that might be impossible,lol).

It's not really even that. I have no problem with a cosmetic change like with the Batsuit (especially since the 80's version looks like plastic), but this feels more like a needless attempt at political correctness.

It's like an FFVII remake changing Aerith into a dude so its less upsetting when Sephiroth brings stabbity.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 11:48:33 PM »

It's not really even that. I have no problem with a cosmetic change like with the Batsuit (especially since the 80's version looks like plastic), but this feels more like a needless attempt at political correctness.

It's like an FFVII remake changing Aerith into a dude so its less upsetting when Sephiroth brings stabbity.

It really did look like plastic,hahaha!  I do agree with you, though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: