Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327204 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  HDTVs and prices.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HDTVs and prices.  (Read 1473 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 01:55:37 AM »

I'm thinking of grabbing an HDTV sometime in the near future. A combination of discovering that the brand of TV I grabbed is extraordinarily unreliable, and the fact it's only 14 inches is making me think it's time to make the jump. With Microsoft and possibly Nintendo/Sony forcing all games to support Widescreen, and HD in the case of Microsoft/Sony, I'm afraid I'll be getting screwed over in regards to games being easily playable, as Dead Rising being letterboxed/having hard-to-read text shows, and I don't want to  have to deal with a letterboxed game using the Wii.

As such, I'm curious about a few things. How quickly /are/ prices dropping for HDTVs, namely the smaller sized ones? Which ones are SDTV resolutions and previous/current gen games? And, of course, any good ones that can be named? I ideally want a 23 or 26-inch display, and so far Samsung's looking the best, but that's admittedly because I've seen them in action on the X360 kiosks.
Tuan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »

I'm also looking to buy one.From what i have seen Samsung is the only way to go!It might be a little bit more expensive but the quality definately deserves it.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:30:27 AM »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2008157,00.asp

This guy Robert Heron is one of the best sources for anything HDTV. He puts most everything in simple terms so you're not overwhelmed with crazy termonology and the like. He's got a bunch of other articles on PCMag.com.

Oh and this I just found....good place to start at the least:

PC MAG 20-26" roundup.

As for price drops, towards the end of the year Sharp, Samsung, and a couple other major display manufaturers have a big release of their upcoming products, which would logically lead to current stuff dropping.

Edit: Oh shit I just found this. If you were an old school TechTV fan,  you'll find this ultra interesting....otherwise it's a great special on HDTVs.

Edit 2: Wow.....like 10 hours later and I just realized that I forgot to post the link to what I was excited about. Shit.....FLU BEGONE!

http://dl.tv/blogs/digitallifetv/archive/category/1152.aspx

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:32:58 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I'm thinking of grabbing an HDTV sometime in the near future. A combination of discovering that the brand of TV I grabbed is extraordinarily unreliable, and the fact it's only 14 inches is making me think it's time to make the jump. With Microsoft and possibly Nintendo/Sony forcing all games to support Widescreen, and HD in the case of Microsoft/Sony, I'm afraid I'll be getting screwed over in regards to games being easily playable, as Dead Rising being letterboxed/having hard-to-read text shows, and I don't want to  have to deal with a letterboxed game using the Wii.

Heh.  They guy who posted that comment about the TV you have is a member of another forum I frequent.  

I would suggest looking into CRT HDTV's if you don't want to spend too much on an HDTV.  While they tend to be very heavy, they are still less expensive than the flat panel models.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 02:01:43 AM »

Very good point about that, Cap....HDTVs dont have to be flat panel style. A good CRT HDTV can and will last you a long ass time.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:14:23 AM »

I've considered a CRT HDTV, and it looks like one would be better in ways... But I'd rather deal with something substantially lighter, and those that I can get locally seem to be expensive enough that I may as well just get the LCD - I don't really need a 30 inch TV, the Sony CRTs are grotesquely priced, and it sounds like the slimfits have distortion crap. There's a good Samsung I can order off Amazon, but I'm not particularly comfortable with something that weighs 100 pounds being shipped, espicially if it fucks up. However, I /am/ interested in natively processing 480p, as that'll be really nice for current gen and Wii titles, and it sounds like CRTs manage to do that (or 540p) while doing 1080i HD, and I doubt I'm going to notice that's interlaced /that/ much anyway.

I'm leaning towards waiting, really. Prices will continue to drop, and I can just play the Wii in the living room until I gauge how big I really need for it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: