Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:20:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331925 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 10771 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster!

Have always enjoyed reading everyones posts by the way ;)

So my birthday was recently and I was lucky enough to receive a lot of amazon points for it. I usually use amazon for games I cant find in stores anymore, especially since it seems you can get some pretty good steals with the used prices. Anyways this time I decided to focus on all the original playstation rpgs I had missed out on, since it seems that back in the day the only stuff I actually bought was all of the Final Fantasies, along with a few other choice games (lunar 1 and 2, chrono cross, arc the lad)

I actually also just orderd these games to

xenogears, vagrant story, alundra, grandia, parasite eve.

I have heard great things about those games but have zero experience with them. do they live up to the hype?

and my last question. Am I missing any classics or hidden gems? Thanks for the help!

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »

Those games are all great, and pretty much live up to their hype.

Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, and Legend of Mana are good too.
Tomba! is a really fun side-scroller with RPG elements. The Wild Arms series is pretty good too, as well as the Breath of Fire series.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »

Generally, everything that's been put up on there is a pretty solid RPG.  Not one thing I've ever though "aw hell no, EWWW".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

You should try Suikoden, 2 is especially good.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

If that was put up on PSN why the fuck haven't I gotten it yet?!?! 

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

If that was put up on PSN why the fuck haven't I gotten it yet?!?! 

I would love to try them. Heard 2 is truly top of the class. A complete used copy goes for 150 dollars though :( Will definitely stay on the look out though!

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

I actually also just orderd these games to

xenogears, vagrant story, alundra, grandia, parasite eve.

I have heard great things about those games but have zero experience with them. do they live up to the hype?

Yes. Though, Xenogears can be a mixed bag for some people and Parasite Eve II I've read before that is not as good as the original game.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

Xenogears: It's a really ambitious game for its time and it shows with an incomplete 2nd disk (that mostly involves chairs, slide shows, and highschool level dramatic reenactments). It was also intended to be part of a much larger series which also never happened (there are a lot of details the game basically winks at and suggests that there's a lot more to it than they're telling you but you'll never know because they'll never cover it). And the localization was pretty dismal so a number of details also gets lost in translation. Other complaints involve the fact that there are a few areas that are rather difficult to play through (like Nocturne's Sewers or the Tower of Babel or that particular double whammy boss rush during disk 2). That said it's probably worth at least one go through just to see what it's all about and if you like giant robot anime then you might like the homages and borrowed plots from them (and if not well you'll get to see something new).

Vagrant Story: Fun game, even if it's a dungeon crawler. It does require you to figure out how its complex systems work to minimize grinding. Platforming can be a pain at times though. Plot's interesting, but again nothing comes of it despite the suggestions (that its merely a prologue for the real game that never came). Again, worth a playthrough just to see what the fuss is all about.

Grandia: Was never a big fan. Mostly due to having played through Grandia 2 and seeing what it's all about from that. In my opinion, if you've played one Grandia game you've played them all. I'll give credit for trying to run with a lighthearted adventure romp but it degenerates into generic and uninspired JRPG trash (but then again, every Grandia game save for Xtreme and 3 does this in which the former doesn't even bother with a plot and the latter dispenses with the trying not to be painfully generic and uninspired at the start even though it still manages to go downhill from there).

Parasite Eve: I'm almost willing to say that mechanically speaking, this game is basically a predecessor to what Vagrant Story did with its gameplay (except for making Bazooka shooting Shotguns instead of Swords that cuts skeletons, bats, and things weak to earth better than a Mace that crushes humans, lizards, and things weak to water and/or fire). Plotwise it's as entertaining as mutant monsters take NYC, so if you like monster flicks then it might appeal to you.

Alundra: Have not tracked down and played this yet.

Suikoden 2: A bit overrated but a solid game. Mainly benefits from the fact that it's part of a interconnected series that spans six games. Unfortunately the series kinda loses its direction by the third game so don't expect a resolution to any of the major questions hanging over the series. Still a fun game even if its buggy as hell and requires a guide and almost perfect planning to 100% in one or even two runs.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »

Xenogears-Ya, I have heard many times that the game really tanks on the second disc. I am really interested to start it up just to see how drastic the change is from disc one to disc 2.

Parasite Eve-I am really excited for this one, and your description sounds great. I love the idea of a RPG with horror elements, another reason I have always wanted to try the shadow hearts series. I heard the second one is basically just a resident evil clone though?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:17:16 PM by Pmayo » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

Parasite Eve 2: Its like a resident evil game (pre-RE4), but does enough to differentiate itself from them (you can purchase spells that do a lot to make combat a lot more manageable than your typical pre-RE4 RE game does, ammo isn't that big of a concern and neither is limited saves). A decent game that actually manages to avoid some of the more standard cliches that survival horrors are known for. Too bad it's the very last game in the Parasite Eve line and that there never was a proper or true follow up since (though pretenders have tried) and with Squaresoft being nothing more than a fading memory of a bygone era there's absolutely no chance for a Parasite Eve 3. (NO CHANCE AT ALL!!!)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »

Xenogears-Ya, I have heard many times that the game really tanks on the second disc. I am really interested to start it up just to see how drastic the change is from disc one to disc 2.

How to make classic video game quotes:

Villain: MWA HAHAHA!  I remember you're father, and how he screamed when I killed him!

Fei: My fatherYou mean my dad?!  What did you do to him?!?!

Villain: I'M NOT TELLING YOU! Mwwwaaaa haahaha

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »

I second SonicDeathMonkey on Legend of Mana, I had a great time with that little gem. Alundra drove me apeshit, be ready for some serious platforming/puzzle issues. Try Saiyuki: Journey West, I think it's one of the best SRPG's I've ever played. I heard good things about Brave Fencer Musashi but I haven't got around to it yet, And of course don't forget about the Lunar games!

Everything's Eventual
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »

Parasite Eve 2: Its like a resident evil game (pre-RE4), but does enough to differentiate itself from them (you can purchase spells that do a lot to make combat a lot more manageable than your typical pre-RE4 RE game does, ammo isn't that big of a concern and neither is limited saves). A decent game that actually manages to avoid some of the more standard cliches that survival horrors are known for. Too bad it's the very last game in the Parasite Eve line and that there never was a proper or true follow up since (though pretenders have tried) and with Squaresoft being nothing more than a fading memory of a bygone era there's absolutely no chance for a Parasite Eve 3. (NO CHANCE AT ALL!!!)

Eh, at least we got a good soundtrack out of The 3rd Birthday.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »

I'm a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, but these versions are inferior to the PSP versions of both titles.  So if you have a PSP, there's no need to grab the PSone versions.

I also enjoyed Front Mission 3, Grandia, Kartia, and the two Vandal hearts games.  (Is it obvious I like tactical RPGs?)

The one thing I question though, is whether or not you own a PS3.  I know a lot of people around here are collectors and like physical copies of games, but about 1/2 of the aforementioned games are available as downloads for $6 or $10 for the PS3/PSP.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »

John makes great points. The digital copies are more easily available, cheaper for it, and offer a portable experience if you have a psp. Plus, there are the remade psp versions of games like tactics ogre and fft that are just waaaaaaayyyyyyy better than the original (though I loved fft's original "mis"translation). If you have to have a physical copy, then power to you pal, otherwise digital copies are more bang for your buck. Why buy one copy of suikoden 2 for 150 bucks when you can buy that plus chrono cross, chrono trigger, wild arms 1 and 2, ff1-9+tactics (- the third...), and still buy a week worth of groceries?

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: