Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:35:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334638 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 11087 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

I really wouldn't call it an "upscale". It just blurs the sprites a bit to make up for the lack of scanlines and other magic old TVs used to use. I usually turn it off, I prefer pixelated sprites to the blurred blobs that they into with smoothing on.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »

Ps1 JRPG were the best ever. it was the Prime console for JRPGS
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »

I really wouldn't call it an "upscale". It just blurs the sprites a bit to make up for the lack of scanlines and other magic old TVs used to use. I usually turn it off, I prefer pixelated sprites to the blurred blobs that they into with smoothing on.

I may have said it wrong.... when I said upscaling I was referring to the PSP.... "smoothing" is the Ps3 effect and, as I mentioned, while I have no experience with the smoothing of other newer models, the 60GB doesn't blur things out really at all, it just makes them look like they did on the ol' square tele's of yesteryear..... I have seen the smoothing of the 80gb and I agree in that regard, on some games it is a bit of a stepdown.... amazing the difference of Ps3's model to model with this effect (particularly with the hand drawn sprite stuff)...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

I do remember the smoothing function on ps2 for ps1 games. I am guessing on ps3 it is the same thing?

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »

I do remember the smoothing function on ps2 for ps1 games. I am guessing on ps3 it is the same thing?
No, actually. Smoothing for PS1 games applied only to textures, but on PS3 it's a screen filter instead.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »

Going through all these games, and its pretty amazing how great squarsoft was for both the Snes era through the playstation 1. They where just non stop with classics, and even their less then stellar games, at least where interesting. Not to say that don't still make great games, they sometimes do, but simply dont do it at the same clip as they used to.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »

Going through all these games, and its pretty amazing how great squarsoft was for both the Snes era through the playstation 1. They where just non stop with classics, and even their less then stellar games, at least where interesting. Not to say that don't still make great games, they sometimes do, but simply dont do it at the same clip as they used to.

..... I'll be brazen and say it.... I haven't seen Square have a hand in anything on a major console that has been "stellar" in a LONG time... in fact, just speaking objectively, I think the only titles I can come up with that seemed redeeming in any sense were Deus Ex Machina (I may have spelled that wrong), XIII-2 and Nier.... I once again I speak from an attempt to be objective... in fact I speak from a perception derived from the majorities opinion there, because I myself haven't even given all of those three enough time to say "yay or nay".... why haven't I... well....... I personally haven't really liked ANYTHING they have put out on major consoles this generation.... The only thing that square has done right in recent history in the west IMO is a freakin' rhythim game.... that is a far cry from the epics that once wowed me in the past...

So you don't have to be bashful as far as I'm concerned... I'm JRPG nut... a tried and true Squaresoft, "The World is Square" fan-boy..... but no one is going to offend me by saying  Square-Enix puts out piss poor, gimmicky titles, having abandoned their best franchises in the interest of Lara Croft or something else equally as mundane to the typical JRPG fan they  themselves cast the mold to create....

I get waaaaay more excited to see the names Atlus, Aksyss, Namco, and even IF, Compile Hearts, NISA or Level-5 attached to a new title and have now for quite awhile.... sad as it is for me to say....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:20 AM »

I don't think Square, as a whole, was ever that good, and the PSX era was the only one with /interesting/ output, albeit still plagued with the same execution issues (No sense of balance, production values-over-substance, favoring the path of least resistance in everything).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »

..... I'll be brazen and say it.... I haven't seen Square have a hand in anything on a major console that has been "stellar" in a LONG time... in fact, just speaking objectively, I think the only titles I can come up with that seemed redeeming in any sense were Deus Ex Machina (I may have spelled that wrong), XIII-2 and Nier.... I once again I speak from an attempt to be objective... in fact I speak from a perception derived from the majorities opinion there, because I myself haven't even given all of those three enough time to say "yay or nay".... why haven't I... well....... I personally haven't really liked ANYTHING they have put out on major consoles this generation.... The only thing that square has done right in recent history in the west IMO is a freakin' rhythim game.... that is a far cry from the epics that once wowed me in the past...

So you don't have to be bashful as far as I'm concerned... I'm JRPG nut... a tried and true Squaresoft, "The World is Square" fan-boy..... but no one is going to offend me by saying  Square-Enix puts out piss poor, gimmicky titles, having abandoned their best franchises in the interest of Lara Croft or something else equally as mundane to the typical JRPG fan they  themselves cast the mold to create....

I get waaaaay more excited to see the names Atlus, Aksyss, Namco, and even IF, Compile Hearts, NISA or Level-5 attached to a new title and have now for quite awhile.... sad as it is for me to say....

I cant really give square credit for it, since it was really made by Cavia (square just published it?) But Nier is amazing. Easily my favorite RPG of this console generation. The story is dark and has real emotional resonance. The characters have great voice acting and are really well developed. And best of all the music is perfection. My favorite video game soundtrack in many many years. And unlike some I actually found the gameplay a ton of fun. I really enjoyed it and never found it to be a chore. Overall it kind of reminded me of a darker less lighthearted secret of mana, I would HIGHLY recommend it

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

Yes Nier was only published by SE. It always got my attention how of the few titles that were praised by fans, SE collaborated with another studio or let another company take the project and later they publish it.

It has been the case with Nier, Dragon Quest 8, XIII-2, The World Ends With You and Theatrhythm.

There's also that thing with Eidos.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »

Dragon Quest has always been made by third-party developers though. Regarding Eidos, Square Enix bought them out a few years ago. Eidos is basically just a label for some of their western-based studios.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »

Yes Nier was only published by SE. It always got my attention how of the few titles that were praised by fans, SE collaborated with another studio or let another company take the project and later they publish it.

It has been the case with Nier, Dragon Quest 8, XIII-2, The World Ends With You and Theatrhythm.

There's also that thing with Eidos.

who was XIII-2 made by?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »

who was XIII-2 made by?

Combo of internal development and tri-Ace, apparently.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »

Ah ok. Had no idea tri-ace had any involvement with it at all. It was definitely a huge improvement over the original

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »

So basically Square is just a publishing house, now.?

!??

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: