Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 8795 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »

Thanks Agent D, I will definitely try that out :)

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

Xenogears is odd. The gameplay isn't particularly... good, and the battle system is based around this elaborate combo system which adds absolutely nothing to the game. The story also is... a thing. But I definitely would recommend playing it, because it is important.

Imma throw out some recommends for:

- SaGa Frontier
- Brave Fencer Musashi
- Shadow Tower. Or anything King's Field, really, tho I think Shadow Tower is the best.
- Wild Arms 1 and 2.
- Legend of Mana (It's really easy, but has like, my favorite setting and story from any Square game).
- Granstream Saga
- Guardian's Crusade
- Star Ocean 2

Oh and Valkyrie Profile but that probably causes a million dollars.

BFMusashi annoyed me with that steam tower chapter about to blow up -- the song was repulsive and played everwhere.  I was thinking of playing this again though, but 3D PSX action RPGs play ragged at best.

Granstream... fucking weird ass title.

Guardian's Crusade had an awesome intro opening, I loved how 80s it sounded.  But I honestly can't remmeber if it's good.

SO2 and VP have been able to stand the test of time quite well, IMO.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

I second Suikoden and Wild Arms. Legend of the Dragoon is very slow, but if you can get past that little flaw then its actually pretty decent.
Someone recommended SaGa Frontier, but I actually advise you to stay away from it. To this day it remains, in my memory, as the absolute worst jRPG I have ever played. That game makes Ephemeral Fantasia look like Xenoblade. SaGa Frontier 2, on the other hand, is pretty damn good.
Breath of Fire 4 is also worth a mention, its quite possibly the best game in the series. Valkyrie Profile if you want something a little different. Last but not least, Chrono Cross. Its the Dr. Pepper of jRPGs, but I loved it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:33:40 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »

SaGa Frontier is excellent fun, don't listen to this dude. It's a steep learning curve but it's an amazing romp once you get into it. I recommend starting as T-260G or Red first, they're pretty easy to run through as and give you a ton of mechs to play with, which are essentially easy mode in the beginning.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »

The only stuff I actually bought was all of the Final Fantasies, along with a few other choice games (lunar 1 and 2, chrono cross, arc the lad)

I actually also just orderd these games too - xenogears, vagrant story, alundra, grandia, parasite eve.

That's actually a pretty amazing list to start out with.

If you don't really care about physical vs. digital, there's stuff on PSN like Suikoden.

Of ones that I don't think have been mentioned yet that you should grab:

SaGa Frontier 2 (prefer it over SF1 personally)
Legend of Mana (I think this is on PSN now)
Threads of Fate (I think this is on PSN now as well)
Breath of Fire 3 & 4
Kartia
Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment
Suikoden 2 (good luck getting it for less than a bajillion dollars)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »

I'm not saying Saga Frontier is necessarily bad.. but out of everything listed that certainly WOULD NOT be my first pick.... or 2nd or 3rd for that matter.... though I will say I adored the art direction.....

how are wild arms 1+2? another long running series i have not played yet

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, having let this series slip past me... let me tell you what, although these titles foster some acclaim, I don't feel they get near enough.. They are familiar enough as JRPGs to scratch that "classic" itch with enough originality by way of the puzzles and dungeons to really keep you going. After playing game after game after game, you start to feel as though you know what your in for and always challenged in the same ways over and over again.... As such, Wild Arms came into my life and was a total refresher reminding me great gameplay and design coupled with a decent (although not stellar narrative) equates to a freakin' great game that doesn't have to go out into left field to feel like a very original experience.

My advice though, if you haven't played all this stuff listed here is to go for the Suikoden series. Suikoden 1 was a bit unbalanced in the sense that with the right characters in your party, the game can prove ridiculously easy.... But half the fun for me was discovering those character combos that really let me stick it to the enemies. The narrative sets up for Suikoden 2 beautifully and makes that experience all the better. Without getting into anything else, on all RPG fronts I found Suikoden to totally rise above mediocrity and enter the realm of completely awesome  in many respects. It is original, has a great narrative and soundtrack, a wonderful cast and just too many good points to be a "bad" or "mediocre" game... In other words with suikoden 1 and 2 is VERY safe to say you won't regret your experience.....

.... Now in a completely subjective sense, I would definately second the Breath of Fire suggestions that have been presented here as well... I am probably the only one who liked 3 more then 4 but both were great to me and well worth playing. In any event, its just plain-jane solid JRPG goodness here..... But I am a Breath of Fire whore and loved the first 2 which many people did not so I could be bias, which is why my first suggestion to you is Suikoden or Wild Arms if thats seems more appealing to you.

After those I would head into Xeno, Star Ocean 2, Grandia and Valkyrie Profile. Those three are all really great titles but each are great for their originality in different respects that place them sort of outside the realm of your standard stuff.

Lastly, I want to mention "Thousand Arms" as my obscure title suggestion to look into for the future.... I know not many people talk much about it or like it.... and I myself don't have enough experience with it to say either way yet, though it is sitting on my shelf beggin for a play-through. But it looked interesting enough in a real odd-ball sense to catch my attention..... In fact, if anyone here has experience with it, I myself would love to hear it.

EDIT: I made a boo-boo and wasn't mindful of what it was you orderred already. Plus completely neglected to mention in my top suggestions.... Lunar 1 and 2 are quite possibly my favorite PS1 RPG's period. But they are not for everyone.... They are very straightforward and typical, but also very well done.  I would actually place the Lunar suggestion above my others if you are looking for a very "standard" experience and classic fantasy narrative that is well told enough to keep you hooked.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:59:54 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »

Legend of Legaia.

It's like Tekken meets Final Fantasy VII. Super duper fun.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

Legend of Legaia.

It's like Tekken meets Final Fantasy VII. Super duper fun.

And both it and its sequel have awesome music (moreso the 2nd).

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »

LoL's combo system was a lot more interesting than Xenogears'.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

Xenogears has a combo system??

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »

Shame Legaia 2 was terrible.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »

I kinda liked it.  I couldn't beat it though because the combos got too long, and enemy HP to high which eventually wore me out.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

Legaia 1 isn't any better.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »

Xenogears has a combo system??

Maybe early on during annoying fights like the first one against Ramus where due to Miang's heals and untargetability and Ramus's occasional use of his obnoxious counter attack stance the use of combos was actually useful instead of completely unnecessary like it is during the rest of the game.

Or are you guys referring to deathblows in which case; eh, they're pretty similar.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »

Or are you guys referring to deathblows in which case; eh, they're pretty similar.

Except for Fei Fong alpha & omega ying & yang Jesus Wong

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3wDw6CElU
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: