Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 11115 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »

Or are you guys referring to deathblows in which case; eh, they're pretty similar.

Except for Fei Fong alpha & omega ying & yang Jesus Wong

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3wDw6CElU

I meant in comparison to how deathblows worked in Legend of Legaia (or at least lol1).

Plus those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt considering that Fei was sporting a fully armed and operational Power Crisis.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 04:14:28 AM »

Or are you guys referring to deathblows in which case; eh, they're pretty similar.

Except for Fei Fong alpha & omega ying & yang Jesus Wong

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3wDw6CElU

I meant in comparison to how deathblows worked in Legend of Legaia (or at least lol1).

Plus those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt considering that Fei was sporting a fully armed and operational Power Crisis.
All I remember about xenogears combos was using them would generally win me whatever fight I was in right there. Those super deathblows in the endgame were unnecessary imho, consideri.g the entire end of the game is only mechs, which killed all that effort I made in hitting 99 with everyone and getting everything. Sad times.

LoL's combo system was fun...too bad if you didn't use an art you were just wasting a turn with it. You know, to this day, I never used a fury boost in LoL. Dunno why, it always bothered me though that I would play through and have like 50 or 60 of em sitting around and never used em.

TASTY!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 05:44:40 AM »

Shame Legaia 2 was terrible.

I kinda liked it.  I couldn't beat it though because the combos got too long, and enemy HP to high which eventually wore me out.

LoL1 was amazing.

I liked Lol2: DS to an extent. It had a lot of crafting options, tons of hidden scenes and gags, awesome mini-games and collectibles, and the music was great. But other aspects of DS just ticked me off. Like the graphics felt really dated and the lines for defining muscle tone looked really weird on characters. Some of the puzzles were ridiculous (like the turtle puzzle in the kabel ruins) and the backtracking was insane. Battle rate seemed higher than in LoL1 as well. And they took out the interactive world map entirely with an instant travel world map, which bothered me. For some reason they also took away see-able armor during battles that were present in the first game, and they had no item that let you instantly warp out of a dungeon like in the first one. Plus the combos in the battle system weren't as fluid. All the Arts blended well in LoL because they transitioned really fast, but in LoL2 they have that matrix zoom-in between every art which got repetitive. Oh, and the story wasn't as dark or interesting as the first, just "let's find out about our special powers while we collect magic crystals!"

LoL's combo system was fun...too bad if you didn't use an art you were just wasting a turn with it. You know, to this day, I never used a fury boost in LoL. Dunno why, it always bothered me though that I would play through and have like 50 or 60 of em sitting around and never used em.

Speaking of fury boosts, I thought it was cool how battle items in LoL were referenced in the canon storyline - like how Songi pretended to take a fury boost in Gala's flashback or how the witch in the cave gives you the Doors of Wind during a mandatory cutscene. There's also a scene where Noa wonders why the Door of Light didn't warp them all the way out of Cort's fortress. Wish more games did that.

But I always used Fury Boosts - I never used elixirs until I started noticing how awesome they were, especially against jerks like that bull in the lava area, Xain.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:53:11 AM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »

Looking back on my original post, I actually framed my history very poorly. I actually did own a Ps1 when it came out. And at the time that I owned it I ended up buying and playing all of the final fantasies when they where new, along with lunar 1 and 2. Lunar one remains one of my favorite games of all time. I actually recently replayed it, (though was unable to finish it, because like an idiot I was not fully prepared for the sky fortress and ran out of star lights and could not pass the first boss fight, and only had one save :(. Many years ago I tried starting Eternal Blue, but for whatever reason did not get very far and just stopped. I really would love to try that again.

I just find it funny that all the games I bought at the time (besides lunar 1 and 2) can be bought new for like 15 dollars, while everything I missed goes for about 100$.

Thank you guys for all the help! Your responses have been really helpful and interesting to read.

right now I am narrowing it down to a few of these.

Kings Field series- After reading up on all of them, I love the emphasis on on atmosphere, and the foreboding creepy tone.

Wild Arms 1 + 2- Just seems like classic rpg fun, and I love the western theme, plus Klyde's description made it sound right up my alley.

Suikoden 1 + 2- These are actually at the top of my list, I love the idea of the story continuing through all the games, and 2 just sounds so incredible. This just comes down to a question about how much I want to spend, I may just save up for awhile.

Breath of Fire 3 + 4- I actually remember really enjoying 1 and 2 on the snes, but never tried anything after, so I would not mind seeing how the series turned out.

And ya I am sadly a physical media guy. Not that I don't download games, but I try to do that only with games that are download only. Something about being able to hold it in my hand with the art work and everything, probably comes from my love of record collecting.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

I think I may just end up getting the psp versions of breath of fire 3 and V Profile. I hear they are both pretty faithful

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

I think I may just end up getting the psp versions of breath of fire 3 and V Profile. I hear they are both pretty faithful

Played VP last year and got Breath of Fire III in the mail two days ago.  VP is out of this world (use a guide, though, maaaay help since in-game is terrible at telling you things) and Breath of FIre III is classic and (along with Kartia) was my first PSX games.  ...you never forget your first,

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

Played VP last year and got Breath of Fire III in the mail two days ago.  VP is out of this world (use a guide, though, maaaay help since in-game is terrible at telling you things) and Breath of FIre III is classic and (along with Kartia) was my first PSX games.  ...you never forget your first,

VP is definitely on the list. Love the style and heard the story is well done. And what is up with Kartia? That sure looks like Terra on the cover.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »

SAme artist.

It's an SRPG... it's kinda cool, but I don't know/think it's aged well.  Seeing Amano portraits is nice, even if some of them look ghastly (I think one woman or three had Snow WHITE skin).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

Ya, I had a feeling it was Amano, or the best copycat ever.

That guys stuff is amazing, has some real dark and surreal qualities to it, his work on FF6 is my favorite, and the poler opposite of everything in 13.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »

BoF3 on psp is exactly the same, though I faintly recall that the fairie tiara when used at a flower circle was fixed to say fairie tiara both times, not switch from flower to fairie. I could be wrong, haven't played the psx version in a VERY long time.

Valkyrie Profile is supposedly a combination of the all the extras in both version of the original or something. Basically, the best of both worlds. There's no reason not to play both of those on psp, same games and easier to find.

Oh also, Lunar Silver Star Story did get a remake as well, and though some may find it somewhat less awesome, I loved it. It too is on psp, and it's a full makeover including voices and a new prologue, as well as a new super move ability for each character (2 if you include the equipped item one too).

TASTY!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »

Did Breath of Fire 3 PSP censor Nina's "racist" battle yell?  lol

But yeah, I also recommend BoF3.  Fun game and has aged incredibly well if you ask me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »

But yeah, I also recommend BoF3.  Fun game and has aged incredibly well if you ask me.
I don't recall that on Nina, but Teepo using simone always sounded like he shouted "nigga". Maybe Nina's did sound like it too, I don't remember, she was my item slave so I rarely cast spells with her, and as soon as I had rei and garr, my team was set for the rest of the game.

TASTY!
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »

I am getting a similar vibe from both breath of fire and Wild arms (simplifying things, i know)

if you had to go the breath of fire route, or the wild arms route, which would you take?

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »

I don't recall that on Nina, but Teepo using simone always sounded like he shouted "nigga". Maybe Nina's did sound like it too, I don't remember, she was my item slave so I rarely cast spells with her, and as soon as I had rei and garr, my team was set for the rest of the game.

haha yeah when Nina would cast Simoon she would say the same thing.  I don't remember if Teepo did or not so I'll take your word for it.  I remember showing a Japanese native friend in college the game to see if he knew what she was saying but he couldn't tell.  I'm curious what she actually says.  As for Nina, she's actually quite the powerhouse if you're willing to grind +defense items for her for about 30 minutes in the lava cave.  I paired her up with the best +int masters I could find and she sped up battles by quite a bit.

I am getting a similar vibe from both breath of fire and Wild arms (simplifying things, i know)

if you had to go the breath of fire route, or the wild arms route, which would you take?

Unless you really like the sound of Wild Arms, definitely BoF3.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

Wild Arms and BoF are very different styles of game and story. BoF is personally my preferred title, but Wild Arms 2 is definitely right next to it. If I were to put them in order, it'd be BoF3, WA2, BoF4, and WA1. You can't go wrong with any of them, though, and I believe all 4 are available on psn as digital downloads.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: