Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 10904 times)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »

The standing animation looked fine, they sort of bobbed on the spot or whatever, and it's to a scale that not even BoF hit unless it was for bosses (SF2 has a pretty big character roster).  Given the budget and the fact it tried to work with some dynamic (the sliding around), not even BoF did that (BoF3 was two directions, front and back, then mirrored to hit the opposite angle, and BoF4 was just everyone "facing off" in one direction -- and also, they're an exception of high quality 2D sprite work, not the standard... come to think of it, has SquareSoft ever done outstanding 2D work??).

Wow, am I the only one who likes the big-sprite battles?

I enjoyed them, and I enjoyed how it was a great way to unlock high level techs. And the sprites did look a ton better in the big-sprite battles. I guess I should elaborate a bit more on my beef with the sprites. I wouldn't call them bad, probably call them average. Too often they just look out of place in the beautifully painted towns and dungeons.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »

SaGa 2 is pretty good. I don't want to spoil the story too much, but lets just say that its structured in a way that I don't think I've ever seen done before or since. Rather than focus on a specific group of characters, the story itself is the focus. It may sound confusing now, but it will become clear once you play. It also has one of the weirdest and hardest bosses in my personal jRPGs history.

I am really curious now about how the story is told, I am all for unorthodox stories, and seeing things from a new perspective. That boss both scares and intrigues me. This is now on my list.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »

come to think of it, has SquareSoft ever done outstanding 2D work??

Stills? All the time. Animation? Not so much. CT and SD3 and Rudra and FFVI all look great in screenshots, but there's very little in the way of animation. Unlimited saga's battle sprites are about as smoothly animated as Square ever got. Ent and Geo from LoM don't count because those were embedded FMVs.

Also apparently Sony hardware isn't good for 2D because of lowish VRAM (which is probably why Odin Sphere ended up just having shape and motion tweens over static body parts instead of separate frames of animation for stuff (and it still ran terrible)).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »

So my Suikoden order just came in and it actually looks like it is in really good condition, which I was really happy to see, since this is my first experience with amazons used stuff.

Now I just need to finish xenoblade before i start it, which could take like.. 2 years

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »

So my Suikoden order just came in and it actually looks like it is in really good condition, which I was really happy to see, since this is my first experience with amazons used stuff.

Now I just need to finish xenoblade before i start it, which could take like.. 2 years

Sick as it sounds, I actually have contrived "gaming schedules" to cope with such conundrums.... I have 2 current gen titles I switch between on weekdays depending on what I am feeling and usually 1 backlog or 1 classic I play starting friday til sunday. I actually just completed my 108 star playthrough of suikoden 1 via a month or so of "Suikoden Saturday's and Sunday's"-LoL

I find its sometimes hard to tear myself away from a title for a day or two to allow time for the other, but my completion rate has been much better gaming this way. If I plug away at one title long enough I find myself usually "just playing it to finish it" by the end....

While now that you all know how sick Klyde actually is, I dare someone to inquire about how I micromanage the rest of my time.... I'm so routine in the interest of productivity it is quite disgusting actually.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

Sick as it sounds, I actually have contrived "gaming schedules" to cope with such conundrums.... I have 2 current gen titles I switch between on weekdays depending on what I am feeling and usually 1 backlog or 1 classic I play starting friday til sunday. I actually just completed my 108 star playthrough of suikoden 1 via a month or so of "Suikoden Saturday's and Sunday's"-LoL

I find its sometimes hard to tear myself away from a title for a day or two to allow time for the other, but my completion rate has been much better gaming this way. If I plug away at one title long enough I find myself usually "just playing it to finish it" by the end....

While now that you all know how sick Klyde actually is, I dare someone to inquire about how I micromanage the rest of my time.... I'm so routine in the interest of productivity it is quite disgusting actually.....

lol I actually think thats a pretty good idea. I often get the "just playing to finish it" feeling myself after a number of hours on just one game, and that would be a good way to remedy it.

Quick question, I know some PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 games, while others are not, what's the deal with PS1 games? I only have my PS3 with me at the moment, my PS2 is at my parents.

Champlooz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »

So, I'm thinking of buying a PS1 Classic from the PS store and these are the games I've never really played:

Alundra (borrowed it for a few days back in the day, but didn't really play it and have almost no memories of it)
Legend of Dragoon
Threads of Fate
Saiyuki Journy West

Which one's the best in your opinion?
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

lol I actually think thats a pretty good idea. I often get the "just playing to finish it" feeling myself after a number of hours on just one game, and that would be a good way to remedy it.

Quick question, I know some PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 games, while others are not, what's the deal with PS1 games? I only have my PS3 with me at the moment, my PS2 is at my parents.

My old style PS3 plays PS1 games no problem.  Doesnt play PS2 though.  Dunno about the updated model.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »

All PS3s play PS1 games.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

Like Kevadu said, all PS3s play PSOne games. Just take note that PS1 games still have region locking, so don't get a PS1 game from a region different than your console.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

I have the 60gb launch model PS3 for backwards compatability myself. The 60gb launch model and 80gb models are the only ones that are ps2 backward compatable.

On that note, should you have that model, whenever you are playing a ps1 or 2 game, hit the PS3 button on your controller and go to "other settings" and set smoothing to "on".... the games will look 100x better than they do even with the best hdmi cables money can buy... they look so much better in fact I just bought breath of fire 3 to play on the ps3 this way, even though I own the psp european version.... it makes THAT much of a difference visually.  This "smoothing" option, may or may not be available on newer ps3's... I couldn't really tell you as I've no experience with them.

IMPORTANT NOTE: backward compatability is waaaay better with the 60gb model vs the 80gb to my understanding as well due to the fact that the 60 gb has different hardware to support the BC whereas the 80 just uses some cheap-o emulation chip. This is apparent when using the smoothing option as the visuals are enhanced notably better with the 60gb vs. the 80

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »

I kept my PS2 so I wouldn't have to worry about backwards compatibility.  My PS3 is the 160gb model. 

I have most of the PS1 RPGs I want, with the notable exceptions of Koudelka, Suikoden II, and Vandal Hearts.  I'd never heard of Koudelka prior my internet-awareness years (2001-ish) and the other two were games I rented, mostly enjoyed, but never got very far with.  Is Saiyuki any good?  It's not based on that anime, is it?

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »

Saiyuki is awesome fun!!!!!! Loved the characters, found the gameplay to be fair and yet challenging and was a fun little story.

Everything's Eventual
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »

Nice to know my ps3 works with all my ps1 games. I also kept my ps2, but still helpful they can play on both. I am guessing they perform better then when you try to play xbox games on a 360.. wo boy I had some issues with that..

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

Gotta retract one of my earlier statements..... for anyone wondering the European PSP incarnation of breath of fire 3 looks (and feels) MUCH better upscaled on a TV as opposed to the original ps1 incarnation run via the ps3 with smoothing.... I just did side by side comparisons this afternoon to decide which I wanted to play (always wanted to do that-lol) and there is no contest here.... PSP Pal version is definately the way to go....

I had mentioned I ordered BOF3 to play smoothed on the ps3 in my earlier post  about backward compatability.... and let me tell you I feel like a fool now....that was totally 60 bucks that could have been better spent..... so for anyone else torn on how to indulge this classic, let my error save you some trouble... PSP upscaled is without a doubt the way to go (and cheaper)

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: