Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Playstation 1 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Playstation 1 RPGs  (Read 11158 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:57 AM »

Yes.

Although, I have heard that DQX is actually being developed in house for once (though that was back when they started development and I have no idea whether they changed that or not since).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »

Eidos has really helped square get that money this generation. A very smart pick up on their part

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »

So, I'm thinking of buying a PS1 Classic from the PS store and these are the games I've never really played:

Alundra (borrowed it for a few days back in the day, but didn't really play it and have almost no memories of it)
Legend of Dragoon
Threads of Fate
Saiyuki Journy West

Which one's the best in your opinion?

Alundra is best, imo. TLOD is the worst on that list, imo.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

I've been playing Saiyuki and while I must admit, it's a pretty basic strategy game, I quite like it. Playing a buddhist monk(Of the non-kungfu variety) traveling across mythological china to india with the monkey king is something different.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »

A brief aside since I am hoping to start playing Suikoden soon. how bad does the story fall off after 2? I have heard its a rather steep drop.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

A brief aside since I am hoping to start playing Suikoden soon. how bad does the story fall off after 2? I have heard its a rather steep drop.

There's a generation long time skip between 2 and 3 but otherwise 3 is the final game on the Suki timeline. 4, Tactics, and 5 are all prequels that take place roughly 150 or so years in the past, if you play 4 then you've got to play Tactics since that's where they put most of the plot for 4 in.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

3rd suikoden was great. Didn't play any of the subsequent titles cuz they got weak reviews for the most part. I don't have the free time to play every shitty RPG that comes out now like I used to.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »

Suikoden 5 was decent. It wasn't aiming high and just wanted to be a PS1 suikoden nostalgia act. And it worked in what it was trying to accomplish. It's a fun, but forgettable experience.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »

So I finally got to go home to open up a few of the games I ordered, and I popped a few in to make sure they worked and I was greeted by the opening cinematic to these two games..

Alundra- I thought I was watching thundercats or something, uhg that animation was terrible. I guess I am just really not a fan of that art style. And it was done by working designs, I much prefer something like Lunars opening cinematic

Vargrant Story- It was kind of hilarious how serious it was trying to be with the fire breathing Dragon and then random shots of some dancing girl every second. Love those old goofy Square CGI character models.

We have come a long way since then.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »

So I finally got to go home to open up a few of the games I ordered, and I popped a few in to make sure they worked and I was greeted by the opening cinematic to these two games..

Alundra- I thought I was watching thundercats or something, uhg that animation was terrible. I guess I am just really not a fan of that art style. And it was done by working designs, I much prefer something like Lunars opening cinematic

Vargrant Story- It was kind of hilarious how serious it was trying to be with the fire breathing Dragon and then random shots of some dancing girl every second. Love those old goofy Square CGI character models.

Working Designs wasn't a production company (although it did fancy itself as such at times) but a localization team.

Also, I wouldn't say that VS has goofy character models since I thought they were on par with MGS's. Not that improvements haven't come along since then but the stuff in this game was probably the best that could be done with 3D models on the PSX.

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

Working Designs wasn't a production company (although it did fancy itself as such at times) but a localization team.

Also, I wouldn't say that VS has goofy character models since I thought they were on par with MGS's. Not that improvements haven't come along since then but the stuff in this game was probably the best that could be done with 3D models on the PSX.

Ya, I was simply going off that really quick intro. I am sure once the game actually gets started it all comes together much better. I guess it had just been awhile since I went back into the PS1 days.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: