Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319241 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Higurashi/Umineko (07th Expansion VNs)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Higurashi/Umineko (07th Expansion VNs)  (Read 1211 times)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »

So I played Umineko and loved it, and was considering trying the precursor(Higurashi), but the review here has me skeptical.

Consider that I don't mind Ryukishi's 'cartoonish' art. Despite the lacking quality, his knack for expressions makes up for it, especially in Umineko. That game had great music, too. (If you're into classical-infused techno, anyway.)

If I loved Umineko, will I really dislike Higurashi? Umineko was fan-translated, and Higurashi was official(sort of), but the former had a great translation. How was Mangagamer's for Higurashi?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

I haven't read the review, mostly because I really like Higurashi and I'm very easily influenced by reviews, so I don't want to be made aware of any faults that I have not noticed. That being said, Mangagamer's translation for the first four chapters of Higurashi are very weak. Quite a few typos and grammatical errors, and I think I even recall a line or two that was still in Japanese. However, for chapters 5-7, the translation has been very good. I'm still on chapter 7, so I can't speak for chapter 8, but 5-7 have had very few flaws, and the translation reads very smoothly.
The Big Guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »

I read the review, and I can help a little. I can't say much for the translation (it probably sucks, because Mangagamer couldn't translate very well when it first started), but I do know that a good portion of the music is not in the game because they couldn't get the rights to it. And the graphics are worse than they are in Umineko. Thankfully, there are patches available that can unlock the rest of the music, and add PS2 graphics (now with non deformed hands!) to the game, which you can find using Google. The game is fantastic, by the way, the characters are about the same as in Umineko, so you won't have the same problems that the reviewer did, and the plot is absolutely incredible (especially the answer arcs) unlike Umineko's confusing train wreck. I would recommend playing it, or watching the anime version which is also quite good.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »

Personally I second the notion to just watch the anime instead of bothering with the VN. Considering the Higurashi VN is basically a 'still frame anime' (due to lacking any interactivity/gameplay which VNs like Corpse Party and 999 have) with inferior music, graphics, and translation; there's really no reason to 'play' it when the anime is an option (unless you're one of the fan types who has to experience every version of your favorite story; in which case have at).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:35:46 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

Considering how effectively Umineko used the VN format, yeah, I'd rather experience it as a VN.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

Comparatively though, from what I've gathered over the net for the past few years, Umineko was more of a "Hey, we know what we're doing now and have turned 'decent' (Higurashi VN) into 'fantastic' (Umineko VN)." VN. And for some reason the anime version butchers the plot elements.

Where as comparatively the Higurashi anime (baring the bad nonsense that was 'ni Kai' and 'ni Rei') tells a smoother tale with less hick-ups than the VN. It's a weird role reversal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:14:25 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Roger Pepitone

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »

While the Higurashi anime is a decent series in its own right,  the original VNs are better.  For example, two games were cut from the festival in Onikakushi-hen ("find something cute for Rena" and "shooting gallery")  Also, the pre-festival events tend to be pretty rushed.  
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: