Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 01:50:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338028 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Education Today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Education Today  (Read 1834 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »

Photo Credit: Neil...lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9193020/Pupils-unable-to-learn-in-hot-classrooms-teachers-claim.html
I personally find it hard when a class is too cold... but c'mon.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120601/teacher-suspended-marking-zeroes-120601/
Can't wait till the kids hit university.

And last but not least...
http://youtu.be/l93wAqnPQwk
Bullied Bus Monitor -- it's gone viral...  And I wanna punch the fucker throwing the insults.

I like to think most schools run normally, but I can't help but get weirded out about the crap going on in schools.  Kids have gotten soft and parents more vehement about stupid things.  I wouldn't mind an ACTUAL parents' opinion to the few here; but if anything is more stupid yet mandatory, it's going to school.  I'm pretty sure the one GOOD thing my university is good at is handing out bits of paper after 4+ years, and taking students' money.

Sorry, I guess I came in broad, but it's just that a lot of these stories are popping up lately it seems, each more ridiculous than the next.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »

Having been tortured by fuckheads like that when I was in school, I can safely say that this should not be tolerated. The parents need to be fucking disciplined, nevermind the children. When I was a kid, I respected my elders. I was always polite and courteous, even if they were fuckholes. Hell, I turn 27 in 2 weeks and I still respect my elders. What fucking moron parent would give their child any idea that this is okay in the slightest? 20 years ago, if I did that to an adult at my school, they'd slap me across the face, and then tell my mom, who would have my dad beat my ass down for that. Maybe that's a bit extreme but you know what, if I were on that bus I would have been the one telling the fucknuts to stop it or else (yeah my threats as a kid were pretty mild).

Society is getting pretty sickening.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

If I had done that as a kid, I would've gotten the belt. If any kid of mine did that shit, they'd likely get worse.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »

Yeah, I've seen all these things, too. I was bullied when I was in school because I was scrawny, a geek, and introverted. Not a good combination. I never got a lick of help from anyone, which was sad. Being bullied every day is torture. It makes you hate school. It makes you hate people. It fucks with your mind, and makes you think there's something wrong with you. It should never, ever, be tolerated. I don't think any of my bullies ever got in any trouble over it. Then again, I was too scared to tell anyone. Fucked up, huh?
Now I am a parent of an 11-year old son. earlier this year I shared in the haps thread about him being bullied. Few things anger a parent more than someone fucking with their children. He's a good kid and totally didn't deserve it. Tried to ignore it and not be confrontational, but the idiot kid wouldn't stop. Even did stuff right in the middle of class. As far as I can tell teachers today are afraid to do anything. Finally, there was meetings and some sort of discipline was doled out, but my son said that the kid just went right back to being a jackamole, but to other kids.
We are too soft on our kids these days. Parents, teachers, everybody. We're not raising them to take on the real world. Were raising little Princes and Princesses who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. man, are they going to get a wake up call. I hope so, anyway.
Then there's the appalling lack of manners and respect. Have parents simply stopped teaching these things? That certain people deserve respect at all times? That you say please and thank you, and hold the door for people? I just don't get it. I feel like I'm raising the only kid who does these things. I hear from him all the time how his friends are pretty much allowed to do whatever they want. Stay up late. Sleep in until noon. No family meals. It's all so depressing.
I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »

It's easy to blame the kids but the problems lies with adults.
It would take a whole serie of books to write up everything fucked up that has lead to this though.

Short version?

I got a great idea, lets make a society where we empower youth using aggressive marketing coupled with terrible influence from medias who trivialize violence and sex trying to push kids quicker to pretended adulthood so that they become consumers sooner while parents are often too busy to actually supervise their offspring since they are either of low salary and both working a lot or too busy entertaining themselves due to self-centeredness and anyway since birth rate is going down in the G8 they wouldn't want to punish their one and only little wonders who probably feel like they need to be alphas in this 7 billion people world due to loss of individuality from planet wide communications. After all, it's not like we can count on religion anymore to force people to be nice since that's been waning.

That's just my 2-cents though... okay more like a loonie.

Being bullied every day is torture. It makes you hate school. It makes you hate people. It fucks with your mind, and makes you think there's something wrong with you.

So true...
I took me years to get back some self-confidence.
The point at which I realized I had none was when a girl confessed to me and I cowered because I couldn't comprehend why somebody could actually like me. I was so used to people hating me or being mean to me.
Of course, nothing happened with the girl... but I'm still thankful because I became so disgusted with myself that I forced myself to change.
I'm much happier with this me and I'd rather just forget my entire childhood... too few things worth remembering there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:31:15 PM by Annubis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »

And last but not least...
http://youtu.be/l93wAqnPQwk
Bullied Bus Monitor -- it's gone viral...  And I wanna punch the fucker throwing the insults.

If it were my kid doing that, he would promptly be sent to military school for the rest of his education to learn some fucking manners.

If I had done that as a kid, I would've gotten the belt. If any kid of mine did that shit, they'd likely get worse.

Yep. Same.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

I learned that if you don't want to get bullied by assholes you have to be an assholes to them. Is the only way they understand sadly... I don't know how some of those people believe that they are the center of the universe and have the right to make fun of other people.

*sigh* Still, thinking about this can make anyone angry, very angry. But hey there's always a way to fight back this BS.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »

I learned that if you don't want to get bullied by assholes you have to be an assholes to them. Is the only way they understand sadly... I don't know how some of those people believe that they are the center of the universe and have the right to make fun of other people.

*sigh* Still, thinking about this can make anyone angry, very angry. But hey there's always a way to fight back this BS.

The very few times I was bullied (I don't even know why, bitch had a grudge about nuthin'), I did essentially the same.  I stood up for myself, not really by fighting back with my fists but by basically not caring and telling them to go away because I didn't care.  But generally, it does help to not be such a simple push over and really just leave them alone, let them complain on their own.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

Wrong. You don't have to be an asshole.

People give off a 'feel' or 'aura' that makes them look like easy pickings. I learned a long time ago that you have to stand firm and be strong and confident in order to prevent people from messing with you. Not being a humongous dick, and not picking fights back, because eventually it'll bite you in the ass. You need to let people know that you're peaceful, but if push came to shove you would certainly bite back, and let people know that even if you fought back, and lost, they'd still not come out of it in one piece, making it not worth their time. Like in the animal kingdom; predators will not try to hunt something that will bite back, even if they end up winning in the end - self preservation and fear of pain is enough of a deterrent for bullies.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »

Ditto.

The profession held by most of my friends is high school teacher. It's all in the parents and frankly most parents suck or are a nonfactor. Some of the stories they tell me about the kids in their classes are shocking
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »

Damn Young Offenders Act!  I wanted a follow up!

I can't even tell you how hard I'd slap my kid across the ass or face if I heard this.  Not so much for what was said, but because it went on for not one minute, two minutes, three --- FOR FUCKING TEN MINUTES.  I can't imagine how "it's wrong" slips your mind at any point.

And Ashton, I was more or less saying the same thing.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »

Ditto.

The profession held by most of my friends is high school teacher. It's all in the parents and frankly most parents suck or are a nonfactor. Some of the stories they tell me about the kids in their classes are shocking
But it's just like that first picture dice put up illustrates. 40 years ago...if a teacher scolded a student, the kid PRAYED their parents wouldn't find out for fear of having to sit down with most of their behind having become one massive whelt. Nowadays, if a teacher suggests the student should try to change how they are, parents reach an all time uproar. The sheer idea of a teacher suggesting how a parent should raise their kid, the nerve of them.

But you know, it's a double edged sword today too. Bullying is at an all time high ( bullying a bus monitor? REALLY?), teachers are constantly in fear of crossing a boundary to help prevent it, and children no longer have that fear that most of us had at their age. I mean, I consider what happened to me psycologically damaging ( I got jumped by my entire fifth grade class one day, and that's not the worst of it), I was attacked and threatened weekly, and mentally tortured daily by students, but the school wouldn't take any part in reprimanding the children, instead opting to send me to a fucking counselor for help (it didn't). There was one teacher who sort of got tired of the way the students treated kids and acted overall, and she proceeded to repriman an entire 8th grade class. 27 13 year old children, and she told them they needed to grow the fuck up or something along those lines, wasn't class or year sadly. She was fired a few weeks later for said action. All the stupid parents were flippant that such harsh language was used...never taking a second to think that maybe if their fuckfaced kids were a little less spoiled and a bit more obedient or even CIVIL that maybe she wouldn't have had to do such a thing. Yeah swearing isn't necessary, but she gets fired because the parents forgot to teach their kids manners? How can we stop bullying when we aren't ready to allow it to be stopped?

Of course there's the other extreme of teachers abusing power and doing creepy shit because they can. Sexual relations with students, blackmail, intriguing punishments taken to far...I mean one teacher actually had an entire class degrade a student who was bullying other children. An entire class insulting a child, mind you a kindergarten class too. Not so much the bully, but the kids forced to insult him, imagine how that can fuck them up mentally?  Naturally that teacher was fired, and this was recent too, I caught it on yahoo news maybe a week ago? Fucking creepy shit.

Bullying is a really personal subject for me. I don't like it, I don't approve of it, and and unless it's this dumbshit "cyberbullying" which is then seriously your own fault anyway, I take only one part in it, the ending of it. Cyberbullying is retarded, if you are being picked on via social networks and email and such, block assholes or if it's real bad, delete your account and make a new one on whatever site or email acct. you're being harrassed on. If you're too stupid to keep your stuff private, you deserve a smack upside the skull. Fucking rule #1 of the internet is....there are no girls on the internet yes, but #2 is don't share personal information on the internet. If you want to make one of those cry for help videos on youtube, YOU DESERVE TO GET YOUR ASS HANDED TO YOU. It's like walking into a redsox fans' bar wearing a yankees t-shirt. You're gonna get your ass kicked for it. Use your brains.

Argh, this topic is making all my repressed childhood memories resurface, FUCK I hated grade school. One group of kids was making fun of me so badly one day in forth grade during lunch, I walked up to one of them, grabbed and twisted his arm until he screamed out in pain. Next day he came in wearing a sling. The bad part was that same day, him and his buddies were once again making fun of me. To this day, I don't know how I made it out of grade school alive. The odd thing is one of the few kids I could call a buddy actually did kill himself later in life. That fucked with me too, cuz that easily could have been me if I were a weaker person, and it crossed my mind many times.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »

Wrong. You don't have to be an asshole.

People give off a 'feel' or 'aura' that makes them look like easy pickings. I learned a long time ago that you have to stand firm and be strong and confident in order to prevent people from messing with you. Not being a humongous dick, and not picking fights back, because eventually it'll bite you in the ass. You need to let people know that you're peaceful, but if push came to shove you would certainly bite back, and let people know that even if you fought back, and lost, they'd still not come out of it in one piece, making it not worth their time. Like in the animal kingdom; predators will not try to hunt something that will bite back, even if they end up winning in the end - self preservation and fear of pain is enough of a deterrent for bullies.
I'm sure I was the kind of kid that gave off that "aura" that you speak of. The problem is that I didn't have what it took to fight back and stand up for myself. That really is the issue. Bullies target those that they know won't "bite back", so to speak. I wish I had stood up for myself, but I just didn't. Like I said above, I was scrawny and geeky, and had little self esteem. This does not excuse my being bullied in any way. I did not deserve that kind of treatment, and did not ask for it. What you say above is just another, around the block, way of saying that it was partially my fault for making myself a target. It's all well and good to say(and know) what should be done, but for a terrified 11(12? 13? My whole childhood?)year old to ACT on it is an entirely different thing.
Schooling pretty much sucked until I started college and found like-minded people to hang out and have fun with. It was an entirely new and thrilling concept for me. Too bad all the friends I made there scattered all over the place.
I'm still scrawny and geeky to this day, but the self esteem issues are long gone. I'm pretty damn awesome, and I know it. I still prefer to avoid confrontation, but will heartily stand up for myself if any such situation would arise. Just like how I will stand up for my son when he has to deal with asshole punks trying to pull the same shit on him that I had to deal with(unlike my father, who was just another bully most of the time). I wish I could talk to the kids parents. Now THAT would be one hell of a "conversation".

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »

What you say above is just another, around the block, way of saying that it was partially my fault for making myself a target. It's all well and good to say(and know) what should be done, but for a terrified 11(12? 13? My whole childhood?)year old to ACT on it is an entirely different thing.
That's not what I was going for at all, I was merely outlining that taking one's current lot in life and running rampantly in the other direction isn't an intelligent philosophy. I have no intention of blaming the victim, merely stating what works, considering I've had a history of being abused in the same manner and thought that was the solution; it wasn't, it just made me angry and alone, and looking like I was maladjusted.

If/when I have kids I'll be teaching him/her self-defense. My parents were always telling me not to cause trouble, but I'll be telling my kid that if someone tries to bully him/her, he can break other kids' arms for all I care, as long as it's in self defense I'll always bail him/her out. If s/he bullies others though, I'll leave him/her to the wolves.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

I kinda see where Ashton is going.  Kind of like where even if "it's about the inner beauty that matters" -- a bit of up-keep on your end can go a long-ass-way with the opposite sex.  Same with bullying.  It's good not to bully, and it's good not to be one, and as much as it's important to be passive about it to not make it worse, I can't recommend doing nothing about it either.  You do have to take a stand at some point, either with others or just growing a tougher skin (bullies [and job interviewers] can smell the sweat off a nervous person).

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: