Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338578 Posts in 13859 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?  (Read 10932 times)
phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:40:13 AM »

I know this is coming really late, but I'm pretty close to finishing the game, and I've got to say this is perhaps the best localization job I've ever seen.  English voices, as in from England?  Genius.  It must have really sucked that the Japanese didn't have voice acting in their version.  Was there ever a 2nd version released over there?  Yeah, a few voices were lame, but all the important characters were done really, really well.  Yangus and King Trode were especially awsome.

I don't know who should get credit for this job (Toryama, Square, or Level 5), but major kudos to them.  It really shows that even though Square-Enix is a big company, they still care very much about the localization of their product.  None of this "We made a great game, now we just need to ship it overseas" crap.  This localization was better than anything Working Designs (RIP) or NIS could put out.  Just totally impressed.
Phoenix's Rage

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:09 AM »

That award goes to Grandia II.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:34 AM »

Yes, I love the whole game. Like playing a cartoon.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »

Might be.  The dialogue was all pretty well done (somewhat of a miracle when the game's ridiculously long) and the added voices were a plus once I got used to the whole British motif.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:40:17 PM »

Oh bugger me!

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

My friend recently completed this game and asked me if the US version had the "English" localization, too.

Well, bugger me, looks like it did!

Guess the only thing to do is to pick up a copy of it at some point!

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »

Quote from: "phan1"
This localization was better than anything Working Designs (RIP) or NIS could put out.  Just totally impressed.

To be fair, publishers like NISA don't have the money do deliver a quality similar to that of the DQ8 localization. However, I'm impressed with what they have done so far with limited resources. Points go to Atlus too, games like Disgaea need a good localization and I personally liked the English voice-acting better than the Japanese.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
Quote from: "phan1"
This localization was better than anything Working Designs (RIP) or NIS could put out.  Just totally impressed.

To be fair, publishers like NISA don't have the money do deliver a quality similar to that of the DQ8 localization.

Well, I'd say that only applies to the voice work; I'm sure some guy with a decent amount of talent can really put their heart into it, but you'd have to be stupidly lucky with cheap VA. With that said, NISA/Atlus/SE do wind up hiring some of the same VA for dubs in their games (Crispin Freeman comes to mind), so I guess it's just cases like DQVIII where SE specifically has an edge.

As far as DQVIII's localization goes, it's one of the best, certainly, though I'd have liked the /option/ for some of the retro styled stuff - maybe it'll happen in the next game, both new and retro styled built into the japanese game or something this time. But there's other games I felt had awesome localizations. Vagrant Story's was great, and Phoenix Wright's is equally awesome, as they were both done by the same person. And while the constant amount of lisping's annoying me, DQH:RS's got a great localization too, though I can see the puns getting to people. Same guy behind DQVIII's did Rocket Slime's, and it shows.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »

I would have liked it better if not everything was spoken so damn slowly. As good as the voice talent was, some better direction would have been nice.

Still, DQVIII is one of my top 10 games.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

DQ8 has a really nice localization (love all the cheesy humor and Yangus is awesome), but I'd have to go with Digital Devil Saga 1&2 for the win here.  Best voice acting that I've heard in any videogame.  Also, for their time, the localizations for the Lunar games on the Sega CD were substantially better than the competition and deserve mention.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:59:20 PM »

I was very impressed by the voice acting in DQVIII. Each voice had something very unique and amusing. King Trode was my favorite one.

I think Kingdom Hearts II was outstanding too.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics had the best localisation ever and you know it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:27:23 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
DQ8 has a really nice localization (love all the cheesy humor and Yangus is awesome), but I'd have to go with Digital Devil Saga 1&2 for the win here.  Best voice acting that I've heard in any videogame.  Also, for their time, the localizations for the Lunar games on the Sega CD were substantially better than the competition and deserve mention.

Damn, you're right. DDS is probably easily the best Atlus localization there is, and amongst the best /period/. I'd be a bit iffy on Lunar, but honestly you're right: Regardless of the opinion on the company, and the quality of the jokes they inserted, what they did otherwise was above and beyond almost every translation at the time. Only what Ted Woolsey has done compares.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:05 AM »

Having a love of British syntax in general, DQ8 is definitely up there.  I think the localization is what turned what would have been a very dull plot into something very enjoyable.  I had a hard enough time taking the game seriously to with Toriyama's designs, so I'm glad the localization doesn't take itself as seriously as...er...other S-E games tend to.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »

I think the localization was very well done.  One of my favorite aspects of the localization is all the Britishism in it.  While I myself am not a Brit, I can still say I enjoyed the Britishness of the localization.  I hope the people who did the localization of Dragon Quest VIII get more games to localize.  They did a fine job with this one.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: