Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330118 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?  (Read 10657 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 01:54:30 AM »

Personally, script-wise I like the way Atlus and Nippon Ichi do it more, but I do agree that the DQVIII localization was very well done. We all know how cliche everything us hearing it over and over, but it was done with style. A very good example of cliches done right.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 02:54:44 AM »

i wasnt a fan of the english voices,and even a great localization cant save a horrible game. it felt as if very little has changed since i played the original on nes. often times i felt like i needed to lvl up but i couldnt find any exp hot spots. getting wiped out by regular enemies and frequent trips back to town because your running out of mp fails. but out of curiosity when i quit the game and sold it
Code:
i was at a battle where you fight dhoulmagus and 2 copies of him how close was i too the end?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 02:57:07 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Code:
i was at a battle where you fight dhoulmagus and 2 copies of him how close was i too the end?

Code:
Surprisingly, thats only half-way through the game, or at least somewhat past half. Still much more to go through afterwards

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 03:28:22 AM »

Yeah, the British localization and Toriyama pretty much made DQVIII a good game for me, because let's face it: there were a lot of things that made the game very boring.  I'm glad to see random, turn-based battles die out with the coming of the next-gen systems.  Also, DQVIII's story was as vanilla as vanilla can be.  You could throw in all the genre cliches in the world together and it still wouldn't be a vanilla as DQVIII's.  

Plus, you throw in the fact that it was a damn hard RPG, and I can see why people put down the controller and walk away.  It is probably the hardest RPG I've ever played, though it did get significantly easier at the end.

And speaking of DDS, it's probably going to be my next game!  So I'll get a chance to find out how good it is.  I'm deciding over Paper Mario or DDS.
ShdwDrake
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 03:55:38 AM »

DQXIII was easy compared to other DQ games (I missed the difficulty at times).

But yeah I loved the localization. My fave part though was how they streamlined the menus instead of giving us the normal non-player friendly version like jap got.  It woulda been nice to be able to chose though.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Final Fantasy Tactics had the best localisation ever and you know it.

I got a good feeling playing that game.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 01:59:29 PM »

Quote from: "Takezo"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Final Fantasy Tactics had the best localisation ever and you know it.

I got a good feeling playing that game.

But really, I don't believe the game had a bad translation. It was just written that way to make you believe it was bad. In fact, it had nothing to DO with bad translations. It's just that the people playing the game had become corrupt and were following the bad translations.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 04:00:47 PM »

They were making a political statement. They were challenging common conception of "good English".
Phoenix's Rage

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

Am I the only one who disabled VA? I would get so annoyed by Trode's voice that I just decided to read all the text, not to mention that the voice actors read so incredibly slow for my tastes.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »

Msave ftw.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 11:53:07 PM »

I thought the voice-acting was well done, but the best part of the localization for me was the fact the soundtrack was completely orchestrated. The music composition is in no way amazing, but the fact it was orchestrated made it so much better.

...At least I think that was exclusive to the overseas version...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 12:32:11 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
...At least I think that was exclusive to the overseas version...

Mostly true: It was just taken from the orchestrated OST and what wasn't remixed was left the same (or so I recall hearing).

As far as DQVIII goes: I loved it, a lot. And while it ultimately isn't really that original outside of the overworld (and even then, that's just a gargantuan 3D rendition of what they aimed for in the past, except with treasure chest and the occassional special monster to fight), I can't help but feel that a disservice is done when it's regarded as completely and utterly generic. The characters, story, /music/ have much more charm than the typical cookie cutter RPG, plus I don't recall it having some of the /really/ bad cliches as of late, like constant corny speeches of friendship or justice or whatever the fuck.

Plus I still think turn based combat can be fun. DDS and DQVIII did it in similar ways, while most other RPGs relegate status spells to worthless and in some even elemental spells aren't worth the few extra points of damage they'd deal to weaknesses.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 01:46:02 AM »

I hated the VAs badly and the DBZ character designer is overrated.  When I played DQVIII, I couldn't get into the really light-hearted story.  The game itself was pretty cool, the way it actually felt like an adventure in the way you travelled around the world, but again, the tone of the game wasn't my cup of tea. The story felt like it was built for kids.  I see why it didn't sell big here.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 04:50:24 AM »

Quote from: "ShdwDrake"
DQXIII was easy compared to other DQ games (I missed the difficulty at times).

DQ has a 13?  Wow, I must have been out of the loop for a while.  :P

As for DQVIII looking like it was made for kids, I suppose I can see where that comes from.  It does have a more light-hearted atmosphere to it than other RPGs of recnt memory and I think it's much better for it.  Too many games these days seem to think they have to be dark and angsty, so DQVIII is a refreshing change.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 04:59:58 AM »

I think DQ was aiming at a /universal/ appeal in Japan more than anything. Or at least Japanese teenagers; I'm not really sure, but there still had to be a younger market to aim Rocket Slime to, as that really was a kid's game. That, and every DQ game I've played was much harder than RS.

I can't really argue with personal taste, but I'll note that last I heard, DQVIII sold around 300,000 copies. Maybe not some gargantuan million selling hit, but I figure that was one of SE USA's better performing non-FF titles, and probably performed a lot better than a lot of crap on the market. If nothing else, it's on the Greatest Hits!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: