Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334723 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: So who else thinks DQVIII is the best localization job ever?  (Read 10832 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 10:36:17 AM »

I loved the game too. After it grew on me, I started to enjoy the VA as well. The Soundtrack is just amazing.
I don't like the art of this Dragon Ball guy either, but nothing else to complain about the game.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 11:25:16 AM »

Also to people saying that DQ8 was generic, I'd like to remind everyone of the game's sense of humor.  It's not for everyone, but if you're a fan of puns, bad jokes, and general silliness, it has much to offer.  Luckily I'm a fan of all of those. :)

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
DQ8 has a really nice localization (love all the cheesy humor and Yangus is awesome), but I'd have to go with Digital Devil Saga 1&2 for the win here.  Best voice acting that I've heard in any videogame.  Also, for their time, the localizations for the Lunar games on the Sega CD were substantially better than the competition and deserve mention.

Um, what about Metal Gear Solid 2? And Eternal Darkness had very good voice-acting, too (except when Maximillian Roivas's accent changes twice in 30 seconds). I'd say DDS and DQ8 have the best in any rpg i've played. I recognise a few of the voices in DDS from the Ghost in the Shell tv series - Heat sounds like a badass version of Togusa and Jinana sounds exactly like Major Kusanagi - and they were some of the best in that (i know for a fact that Heat is voiced by Crispin Freeman, but not that Mary McGlynn plays Jinana). Tales of Symphonia also had some good voice acting, but not to the standard of the other games mentioned.

Anyway, I wonder if any of the voice actors in DQ8 are actually British?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Anyway, I wonder if any of the voice actors in DQ8 are actually British?

I recall reading that the recording studio was in the UK, or at least in Europe. So, yeah, they probably are.

And I'm pretty sure that not only does Jiana have Kusanagi's VA, but I'm positive Angel does too.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 02:03:47 AM »

I really loved the British Voice Actors.  I also loved how the translation of the menus and certain words reflected the British influence, such as when they spelled defense "defence".  

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 04:17:33 AM »

I'll sum it in two words:

COR BLIMEY

What?!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 03:38:35 AM »

why do people think this game is good....
i picked up phantasy star 4 this past weekend at a garage sale for 50 cents and its almost a 12 year old game and imo it kicks the crap out of DQ8.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 11:13:36 AM »

Because not everyone is you?? I love DQ8...such a magical game. In my top 10.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 09:30:07 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
why do people think this game is good....
i picked up phantasy star 4 this past weekend at a garage sale for 50 cents and its almost a 12 year old game and imo it kicks the crap out of DQ8.

Because you like Wild Arms 4?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 10:05:31 PM »

I loved wild arms 4 and dq8....:p
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »

I'd say the best thing to say is 'you just don't get it'. That probably isn't the best way to put it, but it seems you either love the game a lot and consider it one of the best in years, or you abhor it, with little middleground. Though it'd be nice not to pointlessly rile people up. :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 02:56:34 AM »

I should play DQ8. I think my *not* playing it colors my grading of other RPGs. i.e. - other games should get lower grades because DQ8 raises the standard.

That said, expect my next game review to feature extremely, almost unjustifiably high scores. Those who have been paying attention know what the game is...

In a somewhat-unrelated question: are there any other DQ titles that people would recommend out of the series? I grew up on FF, not DQ, and as such have only played the first game in the series... (prz don't kill me).

Ramza

Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 03:09:18 AM »

ah ramza your in for a nice little blast from the past my friend.

I would definatly try out Dragon Warrior (quest) 4 for the Nes, it had a catchy soundtrack that I enjoyed almost as much as crystalis's (almost)which im sure you can appreciate. It was also quite ahead of its time for a nes rpg, featuring a multiple member party system, which was the first nes game ive played where you can swap members ( mind you I havnt played 2 or 3), each of them also had a background story, which was rare back then.

All in all it wont dissapoint for the 40 - 50 some hours youll be playing through it, brings back memories of me playing it while listening to skid row for hours on end thinking of ways I could slash my jeans to expose my underwear.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 03:14:06 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
That said, expect my next game review to feature extremely, almost unjustifiably high scores. Those who have been paying attention know what the game is...

Secret of the Stars?

Seriously though... Personally, I'd say just play DQVIII. I think only I-III and IV-VI are connected story wise in a major manner. And DQVIII's the most friendly for someone who's not played the series or been turned off before. And you can't (legally) play V and VI in english yet anyway, maybe not ever. If you want to play the prequels though, I personally recommand just playing the GBC releases. I'm sure some purists will disagree, but really they're just easier to digest if you haven't grown up playing the games, and I imagine even those that did may have trouble going back after more recent RPGs.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
And I'm pretty sure that not only does Jiana have Kusanagi's VA, but I'm positive Angel does too.

Well I suppose I'll find out when I finish the game. But I take aaaaaaaages to finish games usually, so that'll be a  while.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: