Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 08, 2016, 01:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
376984 Posts in 15090 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  Our Favorite Horror Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Our Favorite Horror Games  (Read 2423 times)
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 05:09:04 AM »

Loved this hunk. Shadow of Destiny was the first PS2 game I bought! It was my 16th birthday and I couldn't get a ride to the mall, so I walked all the way there to buy it and back. It took me most of the day. Not 100% sure it was worth it, but I'm still hanging on to my copy.

I found this weirdo PS1 game called "...Iru!" ("...It's here!", basically) for £1 in a used game shop about 15 years ago, and I'm really into it. It's by Takara Tomy of all companies. It's played from a first person perspective and set in a Japanese high school at night, where the protagonist and his pals are working late on crafts for the upcoming cultural fair. All the sudden, things turn bad and every horror trope you can think of invades. A schoolgirl turns murderous, there's zombies and werewolves, Shoggoths and Lovecraftian pillars of flesh rise up out of the ground. You have to hide from your pursuers ala Clock Tower, at one point hiding in a cardboard box in a bathroom like you're Solid Snake. Enemies only spawn at key story moments and don't keep up the chase long, so most of the game is just wandering around with no threat. The whole thing is just silly and feels like they couldn't pick a horror and stick with it so they jammed them all in. It's quite compelling, in kind of a hilarious way. My Japanese isn't good enough to get me more than halfway through. I like it a lot, though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:16:53 AM by Towns Car Marty » Logged

natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »

Has anyone played any of the Fatal Frame games? I noticed no one has mentioned them (I've never played any of them myself, but want to). They have a reputation for being pretty danged spooky. Some would say among the best of the genre.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »

Okay deSpiria looks a LOT like Scottgames' stuff. The Desolate Hope in particular.

... Actually that's probably a pretty good game for the season. Maybe I should figure out how to play The Void too, for that matter.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »

I imported deSPIRIA back in the day.  I couldn't make heads or tails of that game.  Total mindfuck. 

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »

deSPIRIA showed up in the mail today. My... body is not ready. Will experiment with it this weekend.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Andrew
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »

Has anyone played any of the Fatal Frame games? I noticed no one has mentioned them (I've never played any of them myself, but want to). They have a reputation for being pretty danged spooky. Some would say among the best of the genre.

I played Crimson Butterfly on Wii. I enjoyed it for the most part: definitely spooky, interesting gameplay mechanics, intriguing story. However, the controls were awkward and it wasn't much fun to actually play.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »

I've read some really good things about the Suffering games, but haven't really gotten to play them yet beyond trying the first game out briefly.
Same thing with Kuon
Any opinions on these?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »

I played a bit of Kuon but didn't finish it. You have to play through three campaigns to get to the ending. I enjoyed the first campaign, but the second and third were almost completely identical. Same jump scares in the same places, same plot beats but with characters reversed. Even though other characters were supposed to be running around different parts of the mansion at the same time, whatever campaign you played went through the same rooms in roughly the same order. It felt pointless and I couldn't bear to finish it, which was a shame because it really put its best foot forward. I like the idea of an Onmyodo horror adventure and I hope somebody does more with it.

Actually on that note, Kuon was a From game. An Onmyodo horror-style Souls game would be awesome.

Hope you enjoy deSPIRIA, Mesh! I really love it despite my inability to progress. Need to get out my Dreamcast and try that one again with my slightly-better Japanese skills.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »

I wanted to try Kuon but last time I checked it was really expensive. I also wanted to try the Japanese Echo Night 2, speaking of From stuff, but SAL from Japan is apparently glacial! WHOOPS.

That reminds me, I remember liking Haunting Ground quite a bit. I can't say I found it /scary/ but it had this dreamlike quality that really resonated with me.

... Also again not sure if it's really horror despite the intents, but oh my GOD I love Realms of the Haunting. FPS gameplay's a bit weird but nothing obnoxious. The exploration and puzzle solving has this REALLY nice System Shock-y vibe, but with a better UI. Acting's cheesy but in the most endearing and fun way possible. And it didn't have that like... It was really, really polished. A lot of older DOS games have this kind of roughness to them but RotH just /felt good/ to me.

I wish I could still play the System Shock games. Lump them in with Shadow Tower for stuff I liked that started giving me really weird dreams to the extent that I didn't want to play it anymore.

o/` I do not dream o/`

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »

The most effective horror games I have played are without a doubt Silent Hill 2-3. Especially 3. It just felt way more darker then the second one. The only game where I just felt it was almost wrong playing the game, like I had stumbled on something demonic. And I'm not even religious!
Also SH3 brought about my fear of mannequins! Those damn mannequins !

Dead Space 1-2are also brilliant games. One of my all-time favorites. While they are on the action side they have really frightening atmosphere that manages to affect you.

I am also a massive fan of Haunting Ground. It's not quite scary but it is unnerving with it's hinted sexual violence against Fiona. In fact it's the only game that plays with that fear as far as I know.

Finally, Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl has probably one of the greatest atmosphere in gaming bar none and trust me, when they try to scare you they succeed! That game can be scary as hell !
When you are in a underground bunker with some things hiding in the dark it's terrifying.

There are other games (Siren:Blood Curse is brilliant!) but those above are the ones I remember scaring me.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »

Corpse Party and Rule of Rose. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
RPGamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »

Ofc my main choice is Limbo, all you know that game so Iíll go forward.. my recommendation is walking dead , if you're not familiar with the tv show, itís all about zombies :D from strategy and action to roleplaying games, this is my favorite horror game :)

App store: https://itunes.apple.com/pt/app/walking-dead-the-game/id524731580?mt=8

Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telltalegames.walkingdead100&hl=en_US

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: