Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2016, 07:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
241963 Posts in 7250 Topics by 2377 Members
Latest Member: NickRansbottom
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  Life is Strange
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Life is Strange  (Read 860 times)
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2016, 01:43:31 AM »

Bought the disc version and I love it. Decent tropey kind of characters, good music, cool time travel, and good voice acting for the most part. The graphics are good because of the environment detail and lighting but wow some of the characters look bad up close. Its like Ken and Barbie face.

If you like Telltale like stuff its worth a look. Or Degrassi
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:50:47 AM »

Characters barely emote physically (good on their VAs who carry a lot of the weight), some of the lines are shit, but the general story is pretty easy to enjoy and get involved in.

Chloe was oddly easy to root against though...  Fun series, it's kind of nostalgic in some ways andI always like the ability to see details in everything and get some sort of commentary on a non-fantasy/sci-fi setting.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:15:10 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:05:49 AM »

I must be in the mood for this then. I'm totally into it.
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »

My partner and I are on chapter 4 at the moment. Dialogue is a bit clunky in places but I'm really enjoying it. Thematically similar to Donnie Darko and Butterfly Effect, but whereas I didn't care about the characters in the former and hated everything about the latter, I really feel for Max and Chloe and co. Good on ya, Life is Strange.

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

Its hella fun for creal
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »

What do you guys think about the ending?
I've heard polarizing (funny since the episode name is Polarized) things about it, some people thinking it's brilliant and some thinking it's pretentious and/or lame that choices supposedly don't matter.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »

It sucks.

Dontnod had run out of money and it shows.
Ragnarok1051

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 04:41:27 AM »

Did they ever release all the episodes on one disc? That's what I normally do for episodic games, and this one appears to be good. There was a lot of praise on the Giantbomb goty podcast.
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 04:56:56 AM »

It came out on disc this past Friday, I believe. A physical copy is about $15 more though.

non-stealth edit: I always say, if you're not making a dedicated stealth game, you probably shouldn't include a stealth sequence in your game. Never has this been more true than Life is Strange D:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:02:44 AM by Towns Car Marty » Logged

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »

I thought the game was pretty good and had promise until the plot came to a full stop in Episode 3 to go "Hey, we have two teenage girls, let's force an underwear scene in the pool."

Cheesecake is fine. Forcing your cheesecake in, with a crowbar, using such force you actually see the framework keeping reality in check groaning under the strain of it... Usually the sign of a piss-poor writing team and a portent of bad things to come.

Sure enough, plot nose-dipped in Episode 4 and completely crapped itself in Episode 5.

Shame, so much wasted potential.
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »

Ah, you read it as cheesecake? That's interesting, I didn't. They weren't in sexy lingerie or swimsuits, but mismatched and slightly frumpy underwear, and the camera never lingered. I saw it as a rather sweet (if not clunky) demonstration of adolescent friendship/burgeoning romance.

I think they probably wrote themselves into a corner with the ending. It's somewhat rare to find *any* game that has a particularly satisfying ending, but yeah things definitely start to fall apart after awhile in this one. Lotsa character motivations don't stand up to much scrutiny.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »

It's cheesecake just because there was zero reason otherwise for the scene to happen in that manner. Your average person, including world-derped teenagers, don't commit breaking and entering in a place with active security forces (especially ones you KNOW are on super-high alert because of Episode 2; doubly, doubly so since Max knows by now her powers are fritzed) only to stop for a midnight swim. That's exactly the sort of story you see on World's Dumbest Criminals style TV shows as the 'exception', not the rule. So while not unlikely, the sort of sheer lack of common sense for someone to actually stop and engage in such activity doesn't really work with Chloe or Max as they were written up to that point. They're young yes, but they're not that blatantly stupid. The plot went out of it's way to write them both out of character; thus the scene being nothing but forced cheesecake.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:16:38 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

I think it's notable that Dontnod are a European studio, who probably took a lot of cues from Hollywood and American TV to craft Life is Strange, and this is a trope that turns up a lot in both of those mediums. Clumsy and unbelievable, yes, but I didn't interpret it as there for titillation's sake.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »

Eh, I guess I could see it just being as riding the trope road when you put it that way.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: