Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2015, 11:04:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360482 Posts in 14630 Topics by 2274 Members
Latest Member: DucretAlex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Looking for feedback on the racing game I'm developing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on the racing game I'm developing  (Read 358 times)
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »

Hello everyone!

First let me introduce me since this is my first post at RPGFan:

My name is Javier, I'm a guy from Spain who's always loved and played games since the 80's. I worked as a QA tester at EA for two years, and finally joined an indie videogame studio. We're an 11 people team currently working on our first game.

The thing is that we really care about our first game and want to make it as good as we can. Since we're an indie studio and also got tired of how big studios care more about hyping their titles, rather than hearing to gamers, we've decided to do right the opposite thing.

We are very interested in hearing peopleís opinions on our game, suggestions, ideas....everything!... and take them into account while developing the game. We're showing our game at an early stage, no tricks!

Don't hesitate to ask anything you feel like, I promise to answer everybody. We are also open to hear any idea, doesn't mind how crazy it might sound. In exchange, I can offer future closed-beta access: just go to our site, sign up and you'll be included in the beta testers list.

So, regarding our game:

Wincars Racer is an arcade racer where you can play with your friends for free and compete online against players from all over the world adding a strategy twist and making tactics really matter.

Features:

• -Massive up to 4000 players Tournaments including physical prizes to winners
  • -Lots of different game modes, including an upcoming 4 vs 4 co-op Teams Mode!
  • -Unfold biomechanical wings! Burn enemies using flamethrowers! Turn into a Golem!...when we say special skills we really mean it.
  • -11 different cars, over 100 original skins and tons of customization options, all gathered in 4 car series with its own unique driving style.
  • -Original Soundtrack written and performed by Javi Diez from famous rock act Mago de Oz.
  • -An all-in-one gaming interface including friends system, in-game chats, Tournaments tool, Rankings, Custom racesÖand much more!
  • -Available for PC

We havenít got a release trailer yet, but here is a video where you can see the game running in its current state: Wincars Racer Video

(The video was made to show the 4 different car series, thatís why each player is running independently)

We're also running a development blog at our site where we post updates and try to share how we solve the problems we encounter. If you're curious about how games are made or you are a game dev student, you can have a look at it.

Some images of the game:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:24:22 AM by DragonJam » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »

I thought people making accounts just to promote their RPG was pretty lame, but this is a new low.
Also, your link is broken...
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »

I thought people making accounts just to promote their RPG was pretty lame, but this is a new low.
Also, your link is broken...

Hello Annubis

I'm sorry that you understood that my only purpose here was to promote my game. As said above, my intention is to gather feedback directly from players and try to make my game as good as I can.

Anyway, my apologies if you felt spammed by my topic, it wasn't my intention.

P.D: Thanks for spotting the dead link... I'll fix it right now!

glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »

Zero interest.  But godspeed and good luck on making the game. 

DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »

Zero interest.  But godspeed and good luck on making the game. 

Thanks glassjawsh!! :)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »

I do like racing games with 'fight' elements (your Mario Karts, DKRs, or Twisted Metal).  This looks like a modest first big race game effort, but some parts look a little cheap (like the logo/title being completely uninpsiring --- "Wincars" sounds like a game you'd find in a bargain bin; some of the low res textures and the way the people look aren't too pretty).  You might benefit from a stylized look over a semi-realistic one -- the current look resembles action figures, but not in a good way.

I think the concept is definitely interesting, but it lacks any sort of uniqueness that would make the look of the game appeal to a massive audience.  When a realistic racing game makes a UI it looks realistic, when a stylized game created a UI it matches everything else as stylish (see below), and then when Mario makes a racing game it looks 'cute'/fun.  

Personally: I think you need to find a better look.

Also, I admire you coming into an RPG oriented site, but I also think asking other more general game sites, Gamefaqs or NeoGAF for instance, would be a better idea.

EDIT: Here's some Neogaf opinions on good and bad UIs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055704&highlight=ui

I thought these were really sexy and unique, and not to complicated, but the first page alone has a ton of great examples.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:56:40 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:20:32 AM »

RPGFan forums.

Promoting a racing game.

Promoting a game on a forum...

Yeah, didn't really think this through well did ya?

I'm glad some people are being considerate enough to not be douchey, because I will not give you the same consideration.

TASTY!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »

I don't do multiplayer, but it's looks alright.
Just give it a (preferably super original) identity and change the name, then release a demo on a forum for fans of racing games, in the vein of these threads
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13942.0
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13023.0
It seems like they did something you didn't that made people not think of those threads as spam.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 06:40:28 AM »

I do like racing games with 'fight' elements (your Mario Karts, DKRs, or Twisted Metal).  This looks like a modest first big race game effort, but some parts look a little cheap (like the logo/title being completely uninpsiring --- "Wincars" sounds like a game you'd find in a bargain bin; some of the low res textures and the way the people look aren't too pretty).  You might benefit from a stylized look over a semi-realistic one -- the current look resembles action figures, but not in a good way.

I think the concept is definitely interesting, but it lacks any sort of uniqueness that would make the look of the game appeal to a massive audience.  When a realistic racing game makes a UI it looks realistic, when a stylized game created a UI it matches everything else as stylish (see below), and then when Mario makes a racing game it looks 'cute'/fun.  

Personally: I think you need to find a better look.

Also, I admire you coming into an RPG oriented site, but I also think asking other more general game sites, Gamefaqs or NeoGAF for instance, would be a better idea.

EDIT: Here's some Neogaf opinions on good and bad UIs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055704&highlight=ui

I thought these were really sexy and unique, and not to complicated, but the first page alone has a ton of great examples.

Hello Dice!

Yes, we're aware of some of the issues you point out. Anyway...THANKS A LOT for you feedback. It does really help us. There are some things we can't change at this stage of development (like the name of the game), BUT we can improve others and we really like an opinion from outside of the bubble. We're considering a redesign of some characters and focus on the overall idea of making a game more unique, or at least try to highlight its strong points over others.

Thanks for the useful links as welll!
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 06:58:22 AM »

RPGFan forums.

Promoting a racing game.

Promoting a game on a forum...

Yeah, didn't really think this through well did ya?

I'm glad some people are being considerate enough to not be douchey, because I will not give you the same consideration.

Hello Agent D.

Sorry if you felt spammed or didn't like this thread at all. It wasn't my intention but obviously you don't like this.
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »

I don't do multiplayer, but it's looks alright.
Just give it a (preferably super original) identity and change the name, then release a demo on a forum for fans of racing games, in the vein of these threads
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13942.0
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13023.0
It seems like they did something you didn't that made people not think of those threads as spam.

Hi insertnamehere

It's too late for a name change but I'll take your piece of advice and will focus on improving the game's identity.

Thanks for the links!! :)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:16:38 AM »

The name is terrible, but apparently that boat has sailed on that one.
Not sure why you decided to promote the game here of all places, but at least you're replying.
I took a look at the video. I'm not sure how far along in the development cycle you are, but it looks like none of the cars control very well and even though you claim that each series has completely different behaviours I honestly can't see it in the video.
Graphics are ok, and I like the art direction on some of the levels but overall it lacks character. So far everything about it screams "generic kart racer". Good luck though, with time and effort you might hit the sweet spot eventually.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:19:14 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
DragonJam

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 05:10:45 AM »

The name is terrible, but apparently that boat has sailed on that one.
Not sure why you decided to promote the game here of all places, but at least you're replying.
I took a look at the video. I'm not sure how far along in the development cycle you are, but it looks like none of the cars control very well and even though you claim that each series has completely different behaviours I honestly can't see it in the video.
Graphics are ok, and I like the art direction on some of the levels but overall it lacks character. So far everything about it screams "generic kart racer". Good luck though, with time and effort you might hit the sweet spot eventually.

Hi Maxximum

We're now trying to make our first alpha version of the game, so there isl a lot of development to be done yet. Maybe the video doesn't let the different handlings be properly appreciated, but believe me that they do handle differently.

I agree with you that we still need to hit the sweet spot on how we introduce the game to players, workin on it!

Thanks a lot for your best wishes and feedback, we'll keep you updated on our progress! :)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »

I'm getting bored of this now. I'm gonna lock it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: