Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2016, 01:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239187 Posts in 7111 Topics by 2358 Members
Latest Member: BeardyMcBeardface
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Completion List 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Completion List 2016  (Read 1475 times)
Hathen
You think this would be funny?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »

Less time to play other games between some real life stuff and doing that FFXI journal of mine, but I finally finished one- naturally, it was on a handheld console.

1. Bravely Default

Like a lot of people I trailed off playing the game after Chapter 5 and never actually finished it completely. I'm kind of wondering if anybody actually waited until all the clues were revealed in Chapters 5/6 before getting the early ending for the game- since JRPGs usually make choices fairly obvious it was already kind of fishy to me right from the first time it asked you to take variable control in a story event. But I guess that's a problem with being genre-savvy in any medium. Had some fun trying to piece out the plot from all the crazy stuff the plot threw at you, though I'm pretty sure there's some things that were unresolved (intentionally, perhaps).

After actually playing through the rest of the game, I honestly don't think Chapters 5-8 are as bad as people say (though I doubt I'd be saying this if I played the original version rather than the one which lets you turn encounters to 0)- but maybe that's all the years of MMOs and open world games rotting my brain! Pretty much every Chapter had something important being revealed, and if you wanted to you could actually blow through Chapter 4-8 very, very quickly with the airship able to take you directly to where you need to go.

Still, I opted to fight just about every single boss that came up, because that's a big chunk of the reason I got interested in the game to begin with. The boss fights were really varied and challenging, and I had a lot of fun playing with all kinds of job combinations (provided you avoid reading guides like me until after you beat the game so you don't use popular cheese strategies like the Stillness loop).

Definitely going to pick up Bravely Second...assuming I come across a US copy somehow. Otherwise I gotta wait a couple months. Stupid region locking.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »

Darksiders
Wild Arms
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Saint's Row IV - Good times. As usual in Saints games, there's a great sense of humor throughout. Compared to SR3, the only real differences are the addition of superhero powers; alien enemies and weaponry; and some activities being different as a result. Most side missions consist of simply completing said activities across the map. There really aren't enough original missions in the game. In that regard, it's obvious this was an expansion turned full game, and I honestly think I would have been a bit pissed if I had paid full price. I didn't pay anything close to full price though, for the game and all of its DLC, so I enjoyed the shit out of it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »

1. Trails in the Sky SC
2. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
3. Legend of Legacy
4. Stella Glow
5. Nights of Azure.
6. We Know the Devil

7. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
8. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

I didn't expect it, but Conquest was actually difficult. Nice variety of objectives as well. However, the plot seems rather... wobbly. Lots of characters doing dumb things. Birthright was entertaining enough, but very same-y.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

1. Radiant Historia
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X

3. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Really enjoyed this one!  Absolutely loved the re-worked game mechanics, so much so that I will have a very hard time going back to Awakening or any of the older games.  The way you unlock Skills and customize characters in this one was addictive as well, and finding OP skill combinations was unbelievably gratifying.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot for you do with those powerful characters once you've built them.  I completely and utterly slaughtered the final stage, and all of the story DLC doesn't allow you to use your own custom characters (and is, therefore, completely worthless).  Castle battles aren't a good recourse, either, because they're populated with cheaters.  So, now that I have my lovingly-crafted army of powerful units... I guess the game is over.  Although I enjoyed my time with the game (about 130 hours), I can't help but come away from it with a small sense of regret over spending all that time on it, since there wasn't much payoff.
4/5 though, for the battle and growth mechanics and likable characters.  I really fell in love with the cast here, they're all really great, even if there are a few that are a bit forgettable.

Incoming: Banished

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »

1. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
2. Final Fantasy III
3. Half-Minute Hero
4. Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
5. Strikers 1945 (at the arcade bar with a friend)
6. Star Ocean: First Departure
7. Shining Force III

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »

1.) King's Quest Ep.1/2
2.) History Legends of War: Patton (Platinum)
3.) Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Platinum)
4.) Day of the Tentacle Remastered (Platinum)
5.) Stranger of Sword City (Platinum)

Went from DOTT -> Fire Emblem Fates -> Stranger of Sword City. FE lost steam for me around Chapter 23,  will probably pick it up again, but I still need to beat Stella Glow as well. As it was, I wasn't really feeling the whole SRPG thing at the moment, and so I snagged Stranger of Sword City. This game is what I had hoped Operation Abyss would have been (as a follow up to Demon Gaze), but was not due to the older system of that game.

Sword City felt more like a continuation from Demon Gaze, and I was hooked in by that great art style from the get go before it was announced for NA. There were about two frustrating difficulty spikes in the game, but it is nowhere near as grindy as Demon Gaze was. The Perma-death isn't really an issue as long as you've got some decent characters on the benches waiting for their turn. Currently about 45 hours in, and just a few more trophies left, none of which should be very difficult. Overall a very solid DRPG experience. If you enjoyed Demon Gaze, this improves on it in everyway.

Edit - Stranger of Sword City, Platinum Get!

Merlin Dolls were literal life savers in the final fight. Honestly not sure how your tank is supposed to survive those multi-hit KOs. My tank was dying 3 times per turn lol. Honestly, this game was head over heels better than DG, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Spent time grinding in the end looking for that last lineage, but it never turned up, and just went through the final boss gauntlet - which was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. Total game time clocked in at 51:56.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:34:38 PM by ultra7k » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2016, 03:32:24 AM »

1. Trails in the Sky SC
2. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
3. Legend of Legacy
4. Stella Glow
5. Nights of Azure.
6. We Know the Devil
7. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
8. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

9. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

Finished this one a while ago, but whatever. It's Fire Emblem. I Love Fire Emblem and will always love Fire Emblem. Well, as long as they don't up the waifu/husbando bullshit beyond this point. Actually, they should just tone it done. The baby making thing too. I'm sure there are ways for characters to bond that aren't an insult to good storytelling and common sense.

10. Stranger of Sword City

I wanted to love it more than I did. I like the genre, but I'm getting tired of outdated design choices that solely exist to eat up the player's time. The difficulty spikes didn't help either. Great artstyle and atmosphere, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: