Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2016, 03:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
236948 Posts in 7066 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 177737 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »

Now, let's all remember what it takes "to move the world".

A lever and a place to stand?
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: April 26, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »

I'm a little compelled to respond about Breaking Bad, as it's one of my favorite TV shows of the past 15-ish years.  I disagree with the notion that it's "is a show about horrible people doing horrible things, all of the time."  It's a show where a lot of horrible things happen, yes, but it's basically a slow burn about a person's slow descent into evil.  Walter White starts out as a cancer patient who sells drugs out of desperation and opportunity, and then ends up doing worse and worse things over the course of the show, and ends up as a drug lord.  It happens in a slow burn over 5 seasons broadcast over about 6.5 years.  Part of why it's so good is that it's hard to find a single moment where he "breaks bad" and it's hard to say if his circumstances forced him to do some of those things, or if he was a borderline psychopath at the start and descended completely into evil by season 5.  

...so yeah.  There is a lot of evil in Breaking Bad, but it's brilliantly written and produced, and showcases a fascinating character arc.  I think there is more evil shown more gratuitously in The Sopranos, Oz, and Deadwood, which are also good shows full of bad people doing bad things.  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:28:05 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »

I try to stay away from modern television that is critically acclaimed as none of it usually appeals to me. For example, I thought Mr. Robot was pretentious nonsense. I'd never bad mouth a show I've never watched, but it just happens to be a pattern I've noticed and thus adhered to.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 26, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »

The Sopranos, Oz, and Deadwood

Also shows I can't watch. :)

But as you say, also shows that are widely accepted as high-quality productions.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: April 26, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

But as you say, also shows that are widely accepted as high-quality productions.

Same.  They're shows about horrible people doing horrible things.  Not my speed.

I'll repeat myself: for me, awful content invalidates the technical brilliance of a piece of entertainment.  It's just me.  I'm not saying the shows are "bad", just that I won't watch them and would discourage others from doing so if I know they care about content.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1250 on: April 26, 2016, 05:00:28 PM »

Same.  They're shows about horrible people doing horrible things.  Not my speed.

I'll repeat myself: for me, awful content invalidates the technical brilliance of a piece of entertainment.  It's just me.  I'm not saying the shows are "bad", just that I won't watch them and would discourage others from doing so if I know they care about content.
I'd challenge the idea that "people doing evil things" doesn't equate to "awful content" but clearly we have a difference in tastes and preferences here.  Nobody's going to change anyone's minds.  Bummer.  I'll just keep enjoying all of this spectacular "awful content."

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: April 26, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »

You're cherry picking on the word awful here...
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: April 26, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »

This thread obviously got way off track.
Some of us enjoy violence and "awful" stuff (me!!), others enjoy sugary sweet stuff. Such is the way of this "primitive dirtball inhabited by psychotic apes."....
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: April 26, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »

Personally, I'm just sad no one got back at my Archimedes reference at the top =(
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 26, 2016, 06:13:57 PM »

If it'll make you feel better, I totally did get it... I just didn't have anything I could say in response. :)

I saw an excellent gif a while back that showed how long the levers would need to be in order for a human to move different things, but I can't find it now. :(

—Kurt Vonnegut
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: April 27, 2016, 02:35:52 PM »

More thoughts on Random Encounter 108:

- The "bro trip" commentary was fascinating.  I think it's sort of an issue of something that is "common" being mistaken for something that is "universal".  For a lot of people, mixed gender interactions are very very different from same gender interactions.  And, for me, I think that's just a byproduct of the human tendency to focus on differences rather than similarities.

- As far as "what's an RPG" I think it would be hard to argue that Monster Hunter is somehow less of an RPG franchise than Zelda, which for whatever reason (probably nostalgia/bias) IS covered by this site.  It's a very blurry line, and it's only getting blurrier.

- Man, Bravely Second sounds amazing, but I haven't gotten to Default yet... :(

- As someone who has never played any Dragon Quest for more than a few minutes, let me just say:  I am stoked beyond belief for DQXI on PS4.

Another great podcast, guys.  Honestly, the games you guys choose to discuss tend to be the kinds of games I'm most interested in, so I always appreciate this show more than most.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

モナドの力

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 27, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »

Thank you for the thoughtful commentary, Arvis! Always glad to hear that somebody is enjoying the show. :)

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 27, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

Yep, we don't cover Monster Hunter, but we do cover Zelda.  The official reason is "because we do."  That is, a precedent was set way back in the day that we cover Zelda games, and so we continue to cover them.  But Zelda's the only series in that style that gets a pass.  As you say, the line is pretty blurry some days.

—Kurt Vonnegut
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: April 27, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »

^ seems like what happened with castlevania too

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: