Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2015, 04:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
347077 Posts in 14159 Topics by 2235 Members
Latest Member: chiefjim
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGs where picking your active party was hard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RPGs where picking your active party was hard  (Read 623 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »

Aeolus-ing
I'm well aware of the Falcon Knife earrings.  I just didn't like leveling her up and not seeing stats increase.  At least Ragnar can wear good armor and sees speed increases basically forever.  I used Alena for the whole game when I played on the NES, but when SPOILER joins you in the DS version I switched her out.  SPOILER is a pretty cool (if broken) addition, and I guess I liked the idea of a party of four swordsmen. 

Wait? You like running a party of the Hero, Ragnar, Saro and Taloon?

Code:
Yes, I know you're referring to Kyril.

And no, Saro's name isn't worth spoilering. The fact that he's playable at all is just stupid even if it is amusing, and unlike DQV, DQIV's rewrite doesn't really add anything meaningful to the game. Esterk is still DQIV's resident Demon Lord and not even Squeenix can convince me otherwise.

Anyways, I'd like to add Phantasy Star IV to this list. Namely because you have a fifth party slot that five characters are trying to compete for and no one's beating Raja to it on their own (six if we include Alys, even if she does drop out of the running early on for her crappy Obi-Wan growths; seven if we were to also include Seth, but who the fuck gives a damn about Seth?).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »

Raja is great but he's single target and almost all the others are too. I tend to stick with Kira (dual boomerang girl) just because she clears random encounters quick and her magic is actually pretty good.
Her usefulness drops a lot against bosses though but she can switch to being the backup healer there and let the others go on the offensive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:06:46 AM by Annubis » Logged
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:12 AM »

Final Fantasy 9 comes to mind. A combination of the fact that it has the best character roster in any game I've ever played, as well as the fact that they're all so different in battle. It's easier to choose in something like FF10 where they all end up roughly the same by the end.
With FF9 it ultimately came down to developing the characters that could hit a guaranteed 9999. So Zidane with that chest ability (what's it called?), Quina with Frog Drop, Freya with Dragon Crest. And then either Steiner or Vivi, although I don't think their best moves are guaranteed. Steiner and Vivi are essential for beating Yans though as they have the only 9999-All moves.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »

The first time I played Phantasy Star IV, Raja was my fifth and he was fine.  The second time, I used Hahn and he blew me away.  He could do powerful double and triple tech combos with everyone and had a healing technique.  So the third time I played the game, choosing Hahn was a no brainer.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: