Author Topic: Happy ending? Depressing/sad ending for CRPG?

PompiPompi

• View Profile
Happy ending? Depressing/sad ending for CRPG?
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »
Do you like when RPG games have a happy ending(hero saves world, everything is happy, there is not a lot of tragedy)?
Or do you like when they have some sort of depressing, sad, twisted or maybe happy with some tragedy?

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Happy ending? Depressing/sad ending for CRPG?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
Since you invest yourself when you play a game, I prefer to have a good ending (as opposed to something like a book or a movie).
I'm fine with bad endings if there are multiple endings.

Something like Ever17 did it right in that it taunts you with horrible endings while you push forward to reach the good one.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »

Something like Ever17 did it right in that it taunts you with horrible endings while you push forward to reach the good one.

The first two Nonary games were also really good at doing that.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:02 PM »
Whatever works for the storyline and feels genuine.  I don't like when a certain kind of ending feels shoehorned in just to manipulate my emotions.  Or when an author, say, shoehorns in a tragic ending simply because s/he dislikes happy endings. 

EDIT: Happy or tragic, I also want an ending that is well thought out.  I can't stand when endings feel like an afterthought where an author wrote themselves into several corners and is all "holy crap, how do I fudge my way out of this one?!?!?" to try and write (or retcon) themselves out of those corners. 

Basically, Allegiant (the third book in the Divergent series) is a case study in how NOT to write a conclusion.  Seriously, that book was an absolute trainwreck. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:36:17 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the dark souls of dryboys
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
ultimately that's relative to the type of story that's being told. i do enjoy a bittersweet ending where not everything is wrapped up cleanly, though.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
"What's appropriate for the story" is probably the most common answer you'll see, but even with that general rule I'm still like Marty and enjoy bittersweet endings more than most, because I feel they're the ones that tend to give you the most to think about. How did things turn out the way they did or how could they have been different etc.