Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2015, 09:01:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360441 Posts in 14630 Topics by 2274 Members
Latest Member: DucretAlex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Changers: The accessories that matter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game Changers: The accessories that matter  (Read 283 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »

I have had a really evolving experience recently. A hardware I am shamed to admit I have been completely ignorant to in the past has proven, in recent weeks, to be a cornerstone of immersion I cannot game without.

I speak of high quality gaming audio and headsets folks.

I always thought the notion of playing games whilst looking like I was a ground to air navigation technician with those crazy headsets was silly. Not just silly, but completely unnecessary and over the top unless your big into multi-player and chat.

I stand corrected now as I could NOT have been more wrong. 7.1 surround (even if virtual and not legitimate) by way of the Sony Gold headset has made the experience of playing a completely different animal for me. The biggest perk is how it helps enhance the escapism/immersion of the whole experience of gaming in ways I can't appropriately describe or even comprehend.

And so I ask the community now, what hardware has proven a "game changer" for you folks? With so many awesome accessories available to enhance your gaming experience available today, I am curious to hear what other people have found appreciation for. From chairs, to controllers, be them wireless or otherwise, lets discuss!

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »

The miniature XBox 360 controller has been the greatest PC controller I've ever had. I'm in the slight minority of preferring smaller controllers, so that's the one thing I've never liked about the 360 controller. So when I started looking to replace my old logtiech hunk of junk, everyone kept saying 360 was the way to go. This frustrated me, as the more I looked the more it seemed like that was the ONLY way to go. Even the other options were just replicas of the 360 controller. Then I finally discovered the Mini Pro version of the XBox 360 controller, and now if a game has the option to be played with a controller (except shooters) I always do just that.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »

The miniature XBox 360 controller has been the greatest PC controller I've ever had.

I had to look that one up and now I and my tiny childlike hands need it. I wonder if it's (easily) available in Europe...

Anyway, I'm not much of an accessory type. I actually try to make games less immersive because things like sound and images can get kind of overwhelming.

But there's one thing I can't game without in winter.

A big warm blanket. My circulation is kind of shitty and I get cold very easily, even when wearing a ton of layers. So, I'll wrap a big blanket around me in such a way that everything below my eyes is covered. Hands too. Can't play games if your fingers are going numb.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »

The only thing I like having is an extra chair for my legs. Headsets make me feel dizzy and I sort of like being aware of my surroundings. Also I actually have trouble with small controllers with my long slender fingers, namely the gamecube one. It was really tough playing Wind Waker with it.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »

The miniature XBox 360 controller has been the greatest PC controller I've ever had.

I'm with ya on that one as well. While on the subject of controllers, though on a different note entirely, anyone remember this epic fail from back in the day??

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »

The miniature XBox 360 controller has been the greatest PC controller I've ever had. I'm in the slight minority of preferring smaller controllers, so that's the one thing I've never liked about the 360 controller. So when I started looking to replace my old logtiech hunk of junk, everyone kept saying 360 was the way to go. This frustrated me, as the more I looked the more it seemed like that was the ONLY way to go. Even the other options were just replicas of the 360 controller. Then I finally discovered the Mini Pro version of the XBox 360 controller, and now if a game has the option to be played with a controller (except shooters) I always do just that.

You could also use a PS3 (or PS4 probably) controller with a program called SCP (scarlet crush productions) or BetterDS3.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 03:05:59 AM »

Ask Agent about this. It's his job.

I love a good pair of headsets, though. I have an old turtlebeach model made for ps3/360 but still works on ps4. but there's a ton of wires.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »

Ask Agent about this. It's his job.

I love a good pair of headsets, though. I have an old turtlebeach model made for ps3/360 but still works on ps4. but there's a ton of wires.

Personally, I am currently blown away by the sound quality of the Sony Gold Wireless for the cost. They are built cheap as hell, but for 67.00 (common sale price on Amazon and Newegg) they sound better than 3 other sets I tried (a cheapo razor, comparable turtlebeach wried, and a 300 buck sennheiser on ear). And by better, I mean MARGINALLY better. Plus the downloadable audio profiles via the app that lets you customize bass, mids and treble is freakin' coooooool. Highly suggest them for an affordable wireless option.

GOLD wireless + Destiny Audio profile + borderlands + female fronted metal playlist on spotify = MIND BLOWN

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »

edit: link broken so nuked
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:22:32 PM by mecharobot » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »

Razer Nostromo and Naga been using both for about 4 years now and cannot see myself playing A mmo without them. Only downside is Razer has horrible build quality. I am lucky if a Naga survives a year without me having to replace it.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »

I'm with ya on that one as well. While on the subject of controllers, though on a different note entirely, anyone remember this epic fail from back in the day??

I had that and I loved it! I could drink and eat without putting down my controller!

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »

"I love the Power Glove.  It's so bad."     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0F83Bmbl4

Seriously, though, the game changer for me back when I was a kid was the Max controller for NES.  It was ergonomically shaped to fit in my hands nicely, it had turbo, and the circular direction pad was really smooth.  I couldn't go back to the standard rectangle controller after that.  Since then, that's always been a biggie for me- the ergonomics of the controllers.  Can I hold this thing and play for hours without my hands cramping up?  I might have to get hand grips for my 3DS XL for that reason, but that would make it unwieldy to put in a bag or pouch, so there's a tradeoff.  

Another game changer for me were the adapters that let you play Game Boy games through your SNES on TV.  No more eyestrain at a small screen for hours while at home, and the convenience to take the game with you on long car rides or to the waiting room.  Too bad DS games don't have TV adapters what with the touch screen and everything.  The "secret of life" for me was being able to connect my PSP directly to my TV without the need to go through a Sony console, bypassing the middleman.  With Nintendo, you had to go through your SNES or GameCube to play your Game Boy or Game Boy Advance games on the big screen.  

EDIT: And Klyde- which female-fronted metal bands are you jamming out to?  Because I could recommend a whole bunch of killer ones.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:07:37 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I have nothing funny to say.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »

Headphone jacks.

No, really. I am legally deaf and have hearing aids. I often got frustrated playing consoles because inevitably need the volume too high for others. I do have this device that works with my hearing aids that makes music a lot easier to hear (frequency-shifting, etc) that uses a headphone jack.

So handhelds or controllers with the jack? OMG. I can hear my games so well and nobody is getting a headache! :D
Love my new PS4 and the WiiU.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: