Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341291 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The most horseshit battles you've suffered through, an RPG retrospective
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The most horseshit battles you've suffered through, an RPG retrospective  (Read 493 times)
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »

ETHER STRIKE!

Star Ocean 3 is among my favorite RPGs, but this move is so bullshit. It can OHKO everyone and its AoE is MASSIVE. You better hope someone is standing in the corner. Oh and it's not some super special attack, Freya just spams it whenever she feels like it. I did beat her on normal difficulty eventually, without extensive stun bombs or farming Boots of Prowess. Just luck and all my revive items.

Also, Dragon Quest II deserves a mention. Mainly because the entire game is ridiculously difficult and two of your three party members can't even deal damage to the final boss (and not to many other things either).
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »

Bhunivelze in LR was a bit of a pain for me. I was massively under equipped and my execution and timing had to be spot on if I wanted to beat him. I spent like 3 hours on that thing, it doesn't help that the boss is the very incarnation of the Bitch, this is not even my final form shenanigans.

Mega Heat Turbo in Digital Devil Saga 2 and the last to final boss were very difficult, they could easily kill you, they had a ton of hp and you couldnt make one single mistake and for the last to final boss you needed to have a specific ability(Null Charm) that I ended up having to grind for.

Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 11:28:14 AM »

Fighting Giacomo, Ayme, and Folon on the Goldoba was likely the worst experience of Baten Kaitos 1, and was just almost as the Holoholo Bird in my opinion. All 3 of them use different elements, so if you don't build your deck VERY precisely, it'll be hell. Also, not only is there no way to leave the Goldoba, there's no way to actually LEVEL UP on the Goldoba as you had to go to the church to level up in that game, and there was no teleporter there. What an awful mechanic.

Another awful battle for me was the battle against Gohdan in Zelda Wind Waker. I know its not quite an RPG, but it's worth mentioning. Its my own fault this guy was so tough for me though. As a kid playing that game, I had no idea you could L-target with the bow, so I did that entire battle aiming manually. Not recommended. Many tears were shed.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »

Magic Master from FFVI

He casts Ultima after he dies...  It took my 11 year old brain half a dozen tries to figure out that A) he does that EVERY TIME HE DIES and B) reraise is a thing.  SCREAM!!!!
This counts triple because I am in love with the Tower of Fanatics

Heh, I played 3/6 originally around...I wanna say third-ish grade and I remember being boggled by this problem as well. Funny thing is I never figured out the Reraise; I did something else rather...funny in hindsight.

Palidor Esper.

Get Magic Master down low enough then send the whole party skyborne. If you're lucky (or now that you're older, if you count out the damage) he'll die before the entire party descends. So the those who landed will die but those up in the air live through the attack.

I can't think of any specific battles off the top of my head, but generally this: Any programmed battle you can't win but given the impression you can.

Use all your items to stay alive > Die anyway > Game Continues > Lose your shit (figuratively and literally)

Only two that come to mind right now are that Wolf boss from Tales of Vesperia and the Organization XIII member you fight at the second visit to Beast's Castle in KH2.

Star Ocean 2 is rife with these once you defeat purple dude in Eluria. Pretty much at the cusp of Disk 2 and in Disk 2 it's not an exaggeration to say 40%+ of the bosses are literally 'You cannot kill this now'.

The disgusting thing is that on top of this, they're not all 'Just die'. Some of them are 'run around and don't die but don't fight either'. But they DON'T TELL YOU WHICH IS WHICH. So you have to run around like an idiot for at least three minutes during an immortal-fight just to make sure you don't get Game Overed.

On top of this the absolute worst offender is Zaphkiel. The programmers forgot to give him true immortal status. So if you've far above power curve (very possible due to Train/Enlightenment/Customization usage) you can drill him into a corner, stun lock him forever, and actually get damage through...to a point. If you inflict too much damage the game literally gets pissed off at you and flips the switch; giving him daze immunity and letting him chain-cast uber damage combinations nonstop. It's one of the few times I've seen a boss go 'How dare you have the power to actually fight me before the plot says you can!!?"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:26:05 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »

Dark Souls - Bed of Chaos

This boss is bullshit, super luck reliant and goes against everything the game is.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »

Idk why people had issues with Magic Master in VI. I just Repose'd and Osmose'd him to death. Didn't even know you could kill him from mp drain at the time, I just went through status ailments to see which worked, and when berserk landed (resulting in me dying the first time I fought due to loltima upon death), next round I said "No ultima for you this time" and spent the better part of 20 minutes casting quick-repose twice- osmose when low mp. Random cure 3 when needed, and an eternity later, ULTIMA .... NOT ENOUGH MP ....*voosh* .... dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dadun.

Now that I look back, probably shoulda reraised and berserked him. Would have taken way less time.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »

Yeah, Rasp's MP damage is shit and Osmose can only drain the difference in what you're missing MP wise (and its surprisingly difficult to straight up guzzle MP in FFVI). I absolutely hated that one Bonus Dungeon Boss the Advanced port added that forces you to MP drain it to death (then again, I hated most of the Bosses in that dungeon because they were all massive sacks of HP, or MP in that one case, and they have really tedious gimmicks to fight through on top of that).

I can't think of any specific battles off the top of my head, but generally this: Any programmed battle you can't win but given the impression you can.

Use all your items to stay alive > Die anyway > Game Continues > Lose your shit (figuratively and literally)

Only two that come to mind right now are that Wolf boss from Tales of Vesperia and the Organization XIII member you fight at the second visit to Beast's Castle in KH2.

Star Ocean 2 is rife with these once you defeat purple dude in Eluria. Pretty much at the cusp of Disk 2 and in Disk 2 it's not an exaggeration to say 40%+ of the bosses are literally 'You cannot kill this now'.

The disgusting thing is that on top of this, they're not all 'Just die'. Some of them are 'run around and don't die but don't fight either'. But they DON'T TELL YOU WHICH IS WHICH. So you have to run around like an idiot for at least three minutes during an immortal-fight just to make sure you don't get Game Overed.

On top of this the absolute worst offender is Zaphkiel. The programmers forgot to give him true immortal status. So if you've far above power curve (very possible due to Train/Enlightenment/Customization usage) you can drill him into a corner, stun lock him forever, and actually get damage through...to a point. If you inflict too much damage the game literally gets pissed off at you and flips the switch; giving him daze immunity and letting him chain-cast uber damage combinations nonstop. It's one of the few times I've seen a boss go 'How dare you have the power to actually fight me before the plot says you can!!?"

Pretty much the reason why I stopped playing SO2. "You mean to tell me that I did all this gamebreaking to make my entire party level 100-ish before the end of Disk 1 and set myself up to get the Eternal Sphere, and almost everything from here to the mid/late point of Disk 2 is a goddamn unwinnable boss fight?! MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »

I was usually overleveled for the fanatics tower in FFVI because I would hold off on it until after getting Umaro.  (What do you mean I can't attack?  I never listened to your commands in the first place.  Smash!)  Meaning I would usually just be able to survive ultima.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:03 AM »

oh yeah

Yiazmat from FFXII

50 million hit points.

Obscence
Oh hey this is the guy that my brain first went through when I saw the title. Had hacked maxed out stats, so I was dealing max damage every attack and it still took me an hour of sitting there for my characters to take him down. Most ridiculous fight I've ever had in an RPG.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »

I don't think it really matter if you have some hacked max stats for the guy. You can't break the damage cap and then he pulls off that cheap damage cap reduction so you deal a maximu of 6999 a hit. Basically he is a huge damage sponge, though when he goes berserk it may require casting Reverse instead of the standard gambit setup. And that's all the strategy there is to Yiazmat.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »

There's also having to swap your armors all the time for an old ass cloth chest that's the only thing that resists wind so his limit break doesn't gut all 3 of your characters because it does 9999 damage.

(yes, if you have a male party, they can survive the 9999 with bubble - the girls don't reach quite high enough sadly)
(yes, you can also not care, let all 3 die, then have the other 3 characters that get auto switched revive them then switch back again)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »

There's also having to swap your armors all the time for an old ass cloth chest that's the only thing that resists wind so his limit break doesn't gut all 3 of your characters because it does 9999 damage.

(yes, if you have a male party, they can survive the 9999 with bubble - the girls don't reach quite high enough sadly)
(yes, you can also not care, let all 3 die, then have the other 3 characters that get auto switched revive them then switch back again)

Probably the faster way of dealing with it honestly.

But it was still stupid that Yizmat existed in a game with no legit way of bypassing the traditional damage cap (short of Mist Knacks which is the same thing as trying to use FFVIII's Eden on a boss with a time limit on it), and the closest multi-hit thing you could accomplish is giving someone the Masamune and the Genji Gloves (if you managed to Steal them from Gilgamesh earlier and didn't get tricked by the fact that he changes his loot table for each individual phase of his fights; which nothing else in the game does) and hope for the best.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »

I still bristle when I think about the Grand Jewel battle in Legend of Dragoon.  That game had a lot of tough bosses, but Grand Jewel is one I distinctly remember pissing me and a lot of people off. 

I never played Legend of Legaia extensively, but that game is said to have merciless bosses. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

I'm going to go on a huge tirade about the game as a whole in the game jounral later tonight, but the entire second half worth of boss battles in Chain of Memories' main game is all down to luck thanks to the horrible zero rule.

I never played Legend of Legaia extensively, but that game is said to have merciless bosses. 

I don't remember Legaia's bosses being particularly challenging. Though really the only thing I remember about that game is that it was the shortest JRPG I ever played. I think I beat it in under 10 hours.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:14:48 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

I still bristle when I think about the Grand Jewel battle in Legend of Dragoon.  That game had a lot of tough bosses, but Grand Jewel is one I distinctly remember pissing me and a lot of people off. 

I never beat Legend of Dragoon due to the horribly long final battle that never ended. I tried it 4 or 5 times and gave up.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: