Author Topic: Today In The News

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #2295 on: October 25, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
Read a perfect description of NeoGAF earlier today as a "cesspool of manchildren desperately pretending that they're an integral part of the game industry."

You know some of us were there too, right?

Han Solo liked hanging out in the Mos Eisley Cantina, too.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: November 01, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
The US has actually managed to hit a new low.  Man I'm getting sick of saying that.  In a totally unprecedented move filled with so much doublespeak that it's hard to believe this is reality, EPA head Scott Pruitt has banned any recipients of research grants from serving as science advisers to the agency.

Pruitt tries to justify this move by claiming there is a conflict of interest between receiving research grants and being a science adviser.  Let me remind people how science works: The vast majority of it is funded by research grants.  Sure there are specific applied areas that get private funding because companies believe it will pay off eventually, but there is little profit motivation in anything the EPA does.  These are things we have decided as a society to fund because it's better for everyone long term, yet there's no real way to make a quick buck off of it.  And of course getting a grant isn't a simple process.  Grant recipients are generally people who have been recognized as experts in their fields.

This move means that basically all actual scientists are outright banned from serving in science advisory roles.  Instead they're being replaced by shills for the oil and gas industries who--despite directly profiting from decisions the agency makes--in the bizarre twisted 'logic' of Scott Pruitt have no conflict of interest.  Wat?

The EPA is now officially vilifying real scientists and listening only to industry lobbyists.  And they're justifying this by claiming they want to reduce conflicts of interest...seriously, you can't make this shit up.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2297 on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
All the money in the world is pretty damn useless if there's no clean air to breathe and no clean water to drink. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
Smog and dirty water is delicious.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 01, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Well, the upside is that most of us don't have kids. Now is a good incentive to skip it entirely. Would suck giving my kids a ruined world to live in.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »
There's one upside: when the climate changes more and the weather turns more extreme, the presidential winter home will be one of the first things to go.

(And the Dutch just get to be in the news a lot because we're trying to protect ourselves by basically turning the country in a giant water dungeon. Future adventurers are going to take one look at our Delta Works and be like "Nope, I don't think we need the water crystal after all.")

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
Pretty sure we've proven beyond doubt that humanity has no idea how to govern humanity.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: November 02, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
you've all just outlined 85% of the reasons my wife and I aren't having kids.  I don't think either of us could handle the guilt of forcibly bringing someone into this train wreck.

The other %15 is because babies are too expensive.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
you've all just outlined 85% of the reasons my wife and I aren't having kids.  I don't think either of us could handle the guilt of forcibly bringing someone into this train wreck.

The other %15 is because babies are too expensive.

I'll be honest, I am very surprised to see anyone express this, since it is the exact conclusion my wife and I reached before our marriage and some people see us as freaks for it.  But we are pretty deeply spiritual and have a hope for our future and a purpose for our lives outside of propagation, so we don't feel like we're permanently missing out on anything.

It seems to me that, for most people, children are how they fill the void of purposelessness in their lives.  And it's pretty effective at doing that, as far as I can tell.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2304 on: November 02, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Looks like several of us keep good company.  I myself have zero desire, inclination, etc. to get married and/or have kids.  I don't even want to be in a relationship, because that would just throw a wrench into the works.  Everyone looks at me like I have 5 heads and that I'm somehow a miserable person because my desires are more esoteric than the norm.  But not everyone is the "marrying kind."  Not everyone is meant to marry and start a family.  Not everyone is meant to pursue the prepackaged ideal that society dictates you, and everyone else, should do.  That being said, once people start feeling my eccentric vibe, they soon start saying, "You know what Neal?  Keep living your life the way you want to.  Forget about the girls, they're nothing but trouble anyway."  And it's even been aunties who've said that to me, and that's unreal.

And I always joke that, "I deal with noisy kids and their drama all day at work.  Why would I want to come home to more noisy kids and their drama?" 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:39:43 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: November 02, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »
^this.  My wife tells people that she has 31 children every day... it wouldn't be fair to anyone if she left one (or 2 or 3) at home.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Learning to be happy and content while single is, I think, one of the keys to happiness.  Don't build your joy around one person, because that is too often a fast track to misery.  On top of that, forcing a relationship because you "don't want to be alone" is also a fast track to misery.

People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2307 on: November 03, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »

Pretty sure this is already underway in Japan...

TASTY!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2309 on: November 03, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »
If we are to believe the conspiracy theories, "soft kill" methods have been underway for decades now.  A popular conspiracy theory is that eugenicists are putting sterilization drugs into the vaccines given to people in the most impoverished countries so that they won't keep adding to the world's population (because, you know, they're poor and lack access to contraceptives and education about them.) 

An analogy that New World Order devotees like to use is how establishments like clubs, movie theaters, etc. have maximum occupancy limits.  If you exceed that limit, it's a fire hazard.  And the world has already exceeded maximum occupancy and we're seeing the imbalance of too many people and not enough resources.   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:25:28 AM by Dincrest »