Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327268 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Today's News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: Today's News  (Read 48046 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »

Makes me wonder, will they start heightening security in movie theaters after this incident?  I mean, it's easy as hell to sneak in outside food (a mere sign will not deter me from doing so; a patdown might), so it's probably just as easy to sneak in homemade explosives and firearms.  I remember 12-13 years ago or so when there was that scare of people putting HIV infected needles between movie seat cushions to infect people. 

I approve of this nonsense!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

Yeah, I just read about this a little bit ago. Totally tragic. Whenever something like this happens, you have to wonder what kind of mental state that person had to be in. You simply can not be right in the head to walk into a packed movie theater and start shooting. It's just so fucked up.
Of course, you get the usual calls for stricter gun laws, which would not have made any difference here. People really don't seem to get that we already have tons of gun laws. They just need to be enforced. Plus, criminals don't care about them, anyway. All they do is hamper law-abiding citizens.
Then there's the "This is what happens in a godless society" people. All I can do is roll my eyes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:45:06 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »

Trying to place blame is often our way of trying to make sense of the world - if there's one thing I can blame something on, the world is easier to parse.

Doesn't mean it is right - but it is understandable.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

Re: gun laws.  And don't forget, they're inconsistent state by state.  For example, New Jersey has some of the strictest gun control laws, yet Camden NJ has one of the highest crime rates in the nation.  Why?  Because Pennsylvania has some of the most lax gun control laws, and it's all too easy for someone in Camden to hop across the Delaware River, be in Philly in 5 minutes, and score some contraband.  So even if one state has strict gun laws, a neighboring state may not and everything renders moot. 

Joke response: I highly doubt Marilyn Manson will get blamed for this one.  He's gotten blamed for everything else, though, right? 

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »

My favorite part of this story thus far is how the media is trying to blame the movie for the person's actions. He was wearing black tactical gear and a gas mask and riot helmet, and in the movie Bane wears a specialized mask and fatigues. Obviously the relation is there...because bane uses guns to brutally beat his enemies to death....owait.

Meanwhile, the "glorified" violence of the film aside, a man is taking a stand against psychos and villians using non fatal means. But hey, don't blame the movie for the police officers and soldiers of the world fighting to make a difference. Fucking media.

TASTY!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »

My favorite part of this story thus far is how the media is trying to blame the movie for the person's actions. He was wearing black tactical gear and a gas mask and riot helmet, and in the movie Bane wears a specialized mask and fatigues. Obviously the relation is there...because bane uses guns to brutally beat his enemies to death....owait.

Meanwhile, the "glorified" violence of the film aside, a man is taking a stand against psychos and villians using non fatal means. But hey, don't blame the movie for the police officers and soldiers of the world fighting to make a difference. Fucking media.

In other words, what Marilyn Manson said following Columbine continues to be relevant here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/wvdj6/marilyn_mansons_commentary_for_rolling_stone/

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »

I'm not blaming the parents for this, but who the hell are these parents that bring their infants and kids to a midnight showing of a show that is not kid-friendly? What in the hell.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »

I'm not blaming the parents for this, but who the hell are these parents that bring their infants and kids to a midnight showing of a show that is not kid-friendly? What in the hell.
They are fucking morons, sir. Mother fucking morons. A child should be asleep at THE WORST 10 pm, not at a movie theater. If any of the fellow rpgfan-ers have done this, just know that I do not intend to reword it to make it seem less serious, or certain situations are exempt. No, if you have your young child out at 12am watching a goddamn movie, I don't care if it's the little mermaid 3; ariel's shiny new comb, you are a fucking moron.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

They are fucking morons, sir. Mother fucking morons. A child should be asleep at THE WORST 10 pm, not at a movie theater. If any of the fellow rpgfan-ers have done this, just know that I do not intend to reword it to make it seem less serious, or certain situations are exempt. No, if you have your young child out at 12am watching a goddamn movie, I don't care if it's the little mermaid 3; ariel's shiny new comb, you are a fucking moron.
Yup, yup, and yup. My son is 11, and I would never even consider taking him to a midnight screening. His bedtime is 9, for christsakes! I don't understand why they couldn't just wait to find a babysitter or something. Or heaven forbid, NOT see the movie in the theater. Some people have fucked up priorities.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »

Speaking of parents. Did anyone else see the quote from the shooters mother that when the police first approached her she wasn't surprised it was her son? What the fuck kind of response is that. Most parents, of seemingly sane children, would be denying it for at least a little while. Insisting it couldn't have been their sweet little boy.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »

Well, not all parents love their children. The boy who I lived next to growing up had a bitch of a mother, ignored him, hit him, kept him outside until well after dark. My mum looked after him a lot, but I guess she was scared to report the abuse due to the family being an Irish gangster family. She was always saying stuff like "What did the little cunt do now?".

He's in jail now, broke into an old ladies house and robbed and assaulted her.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »

I'm pissed, I was going to link an article where CNN blamed video games for the shooting friday, but I lost the page. I had a huge rant and everything too.

It's funny though (yes this is part of said rant), how whenever major violence breaks out these days regarding younger adults and children, video games get blamed. If you take a second to look at the games generally blamed, they're all american made. So....america is blaming itself for our stupidity, and viciously attacking itself in regards to it as well. Same thing with blaming the movie....an american comic book made into an american feature length film. Is it kind of retarded or am I just seeing things?

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »

Here come the games.

They're American games -- made in America.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

Here come the games.

They're American games -- made in America.
I'm not sure if you're sarcastic quip is directed at me, or at america. Either way, you're a terrible american.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »

Agent D. is Bandit Keith.

You're not American, you're not even wearing a flag on your head!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: