Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:50:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327891 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Today's News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: Today's News  (Read 49768 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »

I don't think that's a very good example. I would never tell someone how to perform an operation BECAUSE I am not a doctor. I could tell someone about an operation in the most general of senses.

So, someone without a child could talk about child raising in a general sense, but not really have any ground to stand on in regards to the actual execution because they haven't actually got any experience.   

I think it's worth noting that kids can be incredibly manipulative in regards to their parents emotions and can usually play them quite well. The parent is also going to be deeply emotionally invested in their child and might not always have the heart to punish every little infraction. I'm just saying that because I don't know how many people take into account that it is actually a person they will be dealing with and not one of those toys that claimed to learn the more you interact with it. :P

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I mean, I've no kids either (thank god), so I'm in the same boat as most of us, I just don't pretend that there's some sort of perfect plan that will produce children that grow into good adults.  Your kid could be psychologically predisposed to hate authority and being the sort of no-nonsense parent isn't going to be productive at all and will end up creating a rift in the relationship. The same could be said for a parent who tries to be their best friend when maybe their kid is the kind that needs a lot of guidance before they can cope on their own.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

I personally prefer this analogy-

I don't have to be a master chef to see a few dozen people setting scrambled eggs aflame due to keeping the pan at 'HI setting' to be justified in saying 'Hey, you might be doing it wrong'.

There are plenty of 'right' ways to cook eggs; one not inherently superior to any other and mostly just a matter of personal preference. Burnt into ashes is not one of them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:18:07 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

I like that one much better. :)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Some of the condescension is kind of irritating.

Yes, many of us don't have kids. But many of us want to, and are hashing this out before we do so. some of us also have advice from our own parents regarding kids so its not some kind of "haha look at them talking about shit they know nothing about" crap. Do we have to have kids before we're allowed to.comment about child raising? It makes no sense. it'd be like saying nobody should be talking about medical procedures because nobody here is a doctor.

Could not agree me. We don't want kids but people's parenting decisions can have a direct impact on us and the world we live in.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

With you until that very last, incredibly conceited sentence there Grim. :P
Conceited? Why? Because my own observations tell me these things? We all know most people are good people, and most kids are good kids, and most everybody tries their hardest to do the right thing. Still, I see my sons friends, and his classmates, and his fellow daycare inmates, and I wonder. So many parents SEEM to let their kids get away with so much. Why are 10 year olds staying up as late as they want to without a set bedtime? Why are 10 year olds being allowed to sleep until noon? Why are these kids tromping through other peoples property and destroying their things, with no remorse whatsoever? I could go on and on.
I am in no way suggesting that I am a perfect parent. I AM suggesting that I'm pretty darn good at it, though. I never thought I would be, but even my wife agrees that kinda rock at this Dad thing.
Guys, no one is saying that we all can't offer our opinions on things. Just know that if I ever need parenting advice, I'm not asking a bunch of young rpgfans without kids. Just like no is asking me about how to play hockey or make schnitzel.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »

The conceited statement is that you think at times your the only good parent out there. :P It was a stupid statement XD

I don't doubt your a good parent, dude. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »

The conceited statement is that you think at times your the only good parent out there. :P It was a stupid statement XD

I don't doubt your a good parent, dude. :P

Grim said this: "I sometimes feel like I am the only parent doing these things."

I say things like this because I am frustrated. I WANT to be proven wrong. I want a kid to actually respond back when I say hi to them when I'm out walking my dog. I want a kid to hold the door when they see me coming instead of letting it slam in my face. I want to see kids out running around and playing like  they should be, instead of sitting on the porch playing with their phones(which they are too young to have, IMHO). Of course, there are good parents out there encouraging their kids to do all these things, but sadly, it's just not that common anymore. Or at least not where I live.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:52:59 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »

Grim, part of me wants to ask you a question. But I don't think I want to know the answer.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »

You should kidnap a kid and use it as a test run.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:56:59 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

Grim, part of me wants to ask you a question. But I don't think I want to know the answer.
Mesh. I'm not really sure I want you to ask that question. I can only imagine.

Playing:
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »

Mesh. I'm not really sure I want you to ask that question. I can only imagine.

I want to see him ask you the question!  Just to see what chaos ensues.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »

Dotcom search warrants ruled illegal
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/7188234/Dotcom-search-warrants-ruled-illegal

Unlawful entry, arrests, seizure of material and frozen bank accounts all done with now proven illegal warrant.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:16:03 PM by Annubis » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 03:05:21 AM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/12-best-online-reviews-of-swords
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:34 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171930/X-Box-Live-Boy-playing-Call-Duty-Fifa-ran-1-150-bill.html

As always, I have to laugh at this. Not because it's funny, byt because the parent is stupid enough to think the kid didn't realize what he was doing. 12 years old, I'm absolutely certain he can read at least at a 5th grade level, and when you go to add xbl points, you have to accept these transactions, seeing as it takes you to the xbox live window to do so, as well as confirm certain information like how you would like to purchase these points. Once again, a case of stupid uninformed parent and a child who does what he wants without care.

I still confirm with my dad when I use my credit card for any purchases. He eyeballs the bills, so I stay safe and keep tabs on what I do. Old habits die hard.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:26 AM »

I still confirm with my dad when I use my credit card for any purchases. He eyeballs the bills, so I stay safe and keep tabs on what I do. Old habits die hard.

Aren't you like 20-something?

Actually I haven't checked my bank account in a few months I wonder how much money I have.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:26:50 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: