Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Today's News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Today's News  (Read 60210 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »

I guess that this is relevant: 3D Printed Guns (Documentary)
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »

It's real simple, this guy wants to tell the government to fuck off by giving idiots abroad a way to create a death-dealing device that can go anywhere. Even better is anyone actually giving this guy some form of press coverage to further spread his idea and concept.

Congrats man, you've got the new terrorist weapon of choice, AND it's eco-friendly.

What I find most amusing about this whole situation is the 'OMG WE MUST BAN THE 3D PRINTED GUN' freak out going on in Washington.  Yes, because you're going to have great luck banning something that can be uploaded to any torrent site in the world.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:02:06 AM by Desert Walker » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

That and by design the gun is a single bullet shooter.
The media is right, this is clearly the tool for mass massacres as opposed to semi automatic rifles with clips in the hundreds of bullet

/sarcasm (in case it wasn't obvious enough)
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »

Double post worthy:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Disc-Rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

I never knew this was a thing. Interesting... I should check some of my older PSX games.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »

My understanding is that it has about three or four shots before the barrel breaks.  In theory that would make it a good 'Saturday Night Special' gun if it wasn't so large and obvious ("OH SHIT, HE'S BRINGING A HUGE BOTTLE OF WINDEX INTO THE BAR, RUN!").  That said, one could just print out several and switch between them for a mass shooting, but that's not the issue that concerns them.  The issue is that it's a weapon that's impossible to ban with any real effectiveness if a gun ban does occur, which is a terrifying prospect for any government on that particular power trip.  What are they going to do, send police to kick down the door of every person suspected of using a torrent site the file is on?  Ban libraries from carrying 3D printers?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:36:26 AM by Desert Walker » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

Double post worthy:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Disc-Rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

I never knew this was a thing. Interesting... I should check some of my older PSX games.

Now I want to laugh at the people who talked back at me about being all-for "going digital".
MWAHAHAHA

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »

Now I want to laugh at the people who talked back at me about being all-for "going digital".
MWAHAHAHA

It's not that common though. Although I would be really bummed if it happened on something like my VP disk.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »

My understanding is that it has about three or four shots before the barrel breaks.  In theory that would make it a good 'Saturday Night Special' gun if it wasn't so large and obvious ("OH SHIT, HE'S BRINGING A HUGE BOTTLE OF WINDEX INTO THE BAR, RUN!").  That said, one could just print out several and switch between them for a mass shooting, but that's not the issue that concerns them.  The issue is that it's a weapon that's impossible to ban with any real effectiveness if a gun ban does occur, which is a terrifying prospect for any government on that particular power trip.  What are they going to do, send police to kick down the door of every person suspected of using a torrent site the file is on?  Ban libraries from carrying 3D printers?

Why bring several guns, when you can just bring several barrels?

The REAL issue is that this weapon is plastic. All plastic, save a nail for a firing pin and any ammunition you have for it. This thing can be brought anywhere with little to no suspicion raised. President visiting your town? Great opportunity to print a gun up and dispatch him. Not like anyone would take notice of a large plastic block being pointed at him, considering how many cameras are always pointed at him.

This is a frightening thing. Maybe not for mass murder, but assassination attempts for sure. I don't know how anyone can shrug this off as inconsequential. This gun is going to kill someone important, guaranteed.

TASTY!
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: May 08, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »

It's not so much that I shrug it off as inconsequential as that I take no pity on politicians who go out of their way to try to rob people of their civil rights and then raise hell when they get an (in this case, particularly effective) 'fuck you' in response to their trouble.  I feel particularly strongly about this given that the politicians raising hell are the same ones that were perfectly fine with the ATF/DoJ forcing gun shops to sell to known buyers for Mexican drug cartels and also helped see to it that no one but the whistle-blowers got punished for the deaths that resulted from that atrocity.

Now with that said, time will tell if it will be used in a successful assassination attempt, but I do have some doubts about that.  Keep in mind that even given the assumption of it remaining undetectable (i.e. no advances in technology improving to detect, say, a nail required to fire it) and cheap and easy access to a 3-D printer and any colors you please (you can print it out cheaply at a library, but the shape is so notorious that the idea of no one noticing and raising any alarms seems unlikely and with the kinds of funds required to buy one of the damn things a would-be assassin also has the money to set up a less risky operation than that, say, hiring a sniper), this is not a weapon which will be useful for shots requiring any level of marksmanship (i.e. anything beyond a few feet) and it takes some really damn poor security to let someone get that close to a president with a piss-poor imitation of a security camera and no press credentials to give evidence of their identity and purpose for being there.  They don't just let any random person walk straight up to politicians with a video camera or large bag in hand.  It is possible in theory, but I don't think it's particularly likely.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:33:06 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: May 08, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »

Double post worthy:

Used game stores check for that. I mean, sane ones do. I don't know about Gamestop. Old games you bought NEW are probably more likely to have that than recently purchased used games.

I'm totally going to laugh the first time one of those teachers getting a concealed-carry-in-school permit accidentally blows one of their students' heads off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:48:30 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

it takes some really damn poor security to let someone get that close to a president with a piss-poor imitation of a security camera and no press credentials to give evidence of their identity and purpose for being there.  They don't just let any random person walk straight up to politicians with a video camera or large bag in hand.  It is possible in theory, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

Actually, what you say is valid in the states, but read this from not too long ago:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/canada/120905/montreal-quebec-pauline-marois-shooting-gunman-canada-parti-quebecois-french

Not every place has the same security measures as the USA. In fact, I think the USA might be in the top 3 for VIP safety.

EDIT: Speaking of which, Harper once came to where I work and I crossed him in the hallway while him and the VPs were going somewhere. I don't like him or his way of governing... but I'm not a lunatic. I imagine that if someone where I work wanted to hurt him, it would have been easy that day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:52:21 PM by Annubis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »

I think the assumption is that nobody gives enough of a fuck about Harper to try assassinating him.

Aww shit what if some guy with a concealed carry firearm is at an event and he sees some guy carrying a plastic block and THINKS it's a 3D printed gun, caps him, but then it turns out it's just a camera/Dreamcast/etc.

Also I am assuming that women would not be murdering people with guns because it is a well known fact that they don't have fingers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:11:44 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »

Double post worthy:

I first read about this in an early 90s playboy. Some guy wrote a thing on disc rot in laserdisc movies. He was in Hawaii and the humidity ruined his collection
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »

8 months after the Benghazi attacks, Gregory Hicks finally provides his account of what happened. This really should be the number one story every US news outlet is running but I guess people don't give a shit about this sort of thing anymore. It's really hard to find any news report that's not charged with some amount of partisanism so I wouldn't take just this report about it.

It's my take that during the actual hearing on C-SPAN that Democrats were basically trying to discredit the witness while Republicans were pursuing a very slanted and aggressive line of questioning. I fail to see how, though, that a lack of a "cover-up" somehow excuses ineptitude on the part of the SoS.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »

Russian Billionaire Dmitry Itskov Plans on Becoming Immortal by 2045 -- Source: Motherboard
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: