Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332834 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games you have "broken" or "how I beat the boss in one turn"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Games you have "broken" or "how I beat the boss in one turn"  (Read 2226 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

I'm sure most of you at one point or another have "broken" a game. Weather it was excessive level grinding or finding that sweet skill combination, there's usually some way to exploit a games system to become that supreme titan powerhouse.
I'm putting this in the RPG section because these games are the easiest to break and will most likely dominate the topic (if it actually catches on).

There's just one rule: no cheats.
I'm on the fence about glitching, but if its just a minor one that doesn't really qualify as cheating then go right ahead. You may also want to use spoiler tags if the "break" involves some key plot point in the game.

Ill get the ball rolling with good old FFVII.
Ill go right ahead and say that I've pretty much broken every FF game I have ever beaten, but FFVII was probably my worst offence. I found a rather nasty combination of "Knights of the round" on double summon coupled with "mimic" on the other characters. This essentially bulldozed through anything the game threw at me at the cost of a single summon. My battle against Sephiroth pretty much went went like this : "Sephiroth casts shell -> dies".

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

This is like... what I made my Youtube account for back in the days o_O !!! Although I don't have the time to grind much anymore for those =/
Most of the time, grinding in JRPGs makes you a supergod.

Grandia
Just level everyone to max and max out spells/weapons. You can do most of that while hunting for strength seeds. Overall it took about 2 months of playing here and there to do it (I ended up with a ~260h save, including the main game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFtVGkvuuo

Final Fantasy 6
Level a character to 99. Acquire the Genji Glove way early in the game. Get the Atma Weapon off... well Atma Weapon. Finally, steal your second Atma Weapon with Locke on one of the pre-Kefka statues. There're plenty of ways to massacre Kefka in one turn but I think dual Atma Weapon is the way to go for being a total badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSdAe4RoFHY

Valkyrie Profile
On the A ending, on your way to Loki, there is a screen where a group of enemy will respawn forever if you leave/come back. If you max out your crystals it's about 500,000 xp per fight so you can get to lvl 99 pretty quickly. Listing skills and weapon takes too long so just look at the Youtube if you really want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N41T9DuZ3zA
(sorry about the audio, at one point Youtube killed it)

Star Ocean 2
Indelselcio Limiter OFF VS best equipment team at level 255. Best spot to level is the secret dungeon floor 6 or 7 (can't remember... the golem floor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYH6b1nLSNU

Ogre Battle 64
This one uses a glitch similar to the Final Fantasy 7 item duping glitch. So yeah, this one is cheated. It's still very rewarding though after a couple of high CF games where you must stay under-levelled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-sy4xg8SYU
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

In Wild ARMs 2, I try maxing every character's skill that recovers HP whenever their Force Points go up, which made enemy attacks actually heal my characters.

You can also break Phantom Brave by creating high-level random dungeons and giving them the Failure title to make them easy to go through and level up.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »

Breath of Fire 3: I grinded my way up to super duper stats and 1 shot the Archmage for 2500~ damage. First, Ryu used Celerity, and everyone else defended. Archmage cast Blizzard, Rei died but soul gemmed back. On Ryu's ex turn, in attack formation btw with him on point, I used Bonebreak. Dead. Holy Avenger and a Soul Gem, wheee.

FFVII: I'll always remember the boss of Cosmo Canyon's hp...because I start the fight off by throwing an x-potion at him and dealing 5500 damage, effectively ending the fight in one maneuver, lolol.

Skies of Arcadia: Ramirez fight, with Vyse at max strength and best weapon. Technically took 3 turns, but only 2 attacks. Double Pirates Wrath, capped damage both hits. I also did this in the second and third Piastol fights on the gamecube version, thought strength wasn't capped. Quick hint, Drachma and Spirit Charge are your friends for speed kills.

FFVI: Vanish-Doom/X-Zone...Have fun on the non-gba versions. Otherwise, genji glove+offering for destructive purposes. Dual wield atma weapons with high hp for lulz as well.

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals: Not really a wicked beatdown, but I beat Gades on a secondary playtbrough during the first encounter for his AWESOME sword. I don't recall how, pretty sure it was a fluke, but idf, Gades Sword pwns.

I have more, just can't think of them yet.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »

I didn't do this, but a friend showed me how, in Symphony of the Night, if you stand at a particular spot on a particular ledge with the sword familiar, no enemies will hit you but the sword familiar will hit them.  The guy left SOTN all all day like this and when he came back, his sword familiar was maxed out.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »

I didn't do this, but a friend showed me how, in Symphony of the Night, if you stand at a particular spot on a particular ledge with the sword familiar, no enemies will hit you but the sword familiar will hit them.  The guy left SOTN all all day like this and when he came back, his sword familiar was maxed out.
I used to do that with a turbo pad and a crissagraem. It's in the first hallway where all the zombies spawn in the regular castle. Sword, demon, and bat familiars will work fine toi if you have no turbo pad...ghost familiar is a bit lame and slow. You only get 1 exp per kill, but it's a great way to max out familiars. Course, only the sword familiar really benefits from max level, as it becomes an equipable sword whose power corresponds to its level.

TASTY!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »

In From the Abyss I found a ring that absorbed all fire damage in a fire dungeon in which all the enemies only had fire attacks. Stayed there for a bit longer than absolutely necessary and squished the of the (short, short) game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »

SotN: Shield Rod + Alucard Armor = Dracula insta-kill. This is well known. This is one of the many reasons I didn't like the last half of SotN.

SMT: Nocturne - Not really a quick way to beat a boss, but I DID beat the Fates by causing them to run out of MP by using MP drain techniques /offensively/. This sort of short circuits their AI and the rest of the fight is a breeerb.

Sparkle titties.

FFVIII - Degenerator.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »

SotN: Shield Rod + Alucard Armor = Dracula insta-kill. This is well known. This is one of the many reasons I didn't like the last half of SotN.

SMT: Nocturne - Not really a quick way to beat a boss, but I DID beat the Fates by causing them to run out of MP by using MP drain techniques /offensively/. This sort of short circuits their AI and the rest of the fight is a breeerb.

Sparkle titties.

FFVIII - Degenerator.
It's the Alucard Shield, not the armor. When you use it with the shield rod, you become invincible as long as the shield is out and inflict 255 damage which you also absorb. It's one of many things that breaks the game. There's also the crissagraem, the ring of varda, the duplicator,  and if you have the dexterity, double jump drop kicks allow you to go places you shouldn't be yet. As awesome a game as it was, it was full of amazing ways to turn any difficulty in the game off.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »

i got angel slayer in every valkyrie profile game

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »

FFVI: Found Genji Glove + Offering to be a sweet, sweet combo.

FFX: After lots of grinding + Break Damage Limit, had Yuna beat a couple of big bosses (final one included) in one hit. Oops?

Nocturne: Used the same technique as Mesh.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

Does getting the Erde Kaiser's in Xenosaga count? They sure do make the game easier.

Everything's Eventual
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »

I guess I should put this up too...

FFTactics: Anything prior to chapter 2 was monk with dual wield as a support and whatever backup job you liked. Prioritize physical power with stuff like power wrists, headgears, twist headbands, judo uniforms and such, and you had a monk that could generally 1 shot any normal enemy, and if they missed the first hit they'd attack twice thanks to dual wielded fists, lol. I generally spent chapter 2 grinding for jp, classes and moves, and new items (always use a mediator, thieves take too long to steal gear). My monk always had squire support for accumulate, so if he didn't reach you to hit you that round, he'd hit you that much harder next round.

Post chapter 2 it depends on which version you are playing. Psp version, get a dark knight, they rape the field. Psx, switch your monk to a ninja and give it martial arts.  Enemies can hit harder, so the ninja's evasiveness can save your ass at times...unless you are like me and teach everyone blade grasp through samurai, then fuck all, monks + dual wield is the most broken non-orlandu class combo in game. Ninja's can travel further per turn, but monks ALWAYS kill what they hit.

Does getting the Erde Kaiser's in Xenosaga count? They sure do make the game easier.
Erde Kaiser doesn't make it easier, it kills the difficulty. Of course....then there's erde kaiser sigma....lol.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:23:20 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »

Well, this may not directly be becoming a powerhouse, but it indirectly led to acquiring the best materials/cash very quickly in result of this...

Rune Factory 1: Mining precious gems in the caves and living like a filthy king

Rune Factory 3: Colette throws random meals at you/enemies. Don't let it hit you, pick it up, sell it (some of it is stupid-rare food only a prodigious cook like her would throw). I was able to buy water boots way early in the game and walked on water without needing seed/transportation thing. Bought awesome weapons/items with cash as well.

Rune Factory Frontier: Fishing Squids/Fishes in the bottom of levels net you a cash crop that enables you to buy whatever you want.

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny: Accept an item-retrieval request, get item, cancel request, rinse and repeat. Use this for a food item, like rice, making rice pourage/pudding [I forget what its called], eat it to regain stamina, repeat quest, become Level 99 chef within a day or two of grinding (You regain your Rune points and raise levels). Dont want to eat all your stuff? Sell it! Buy small fleece and yarn ball from shop for around 3-400 cash, Craft item that sells for around 700, profit! Again, raise level, make cash, make better items because you raised your level (and regained stamina from the meal trick): DESTROY ALL ENEMIES. (Honestly, I have not touched farming once after I took advantage of these tricks....

Final Fantasy Tactics: Samurai's Sword Catch to drop enemies accuracy by a ridiculous percent. Actually, a funny thing I'm doing in my FFT game right now; I'm trying not to kill ANYTHING except quest enemies. Yes, I am doing a pacifist run of FFT and have recruited every enemies after the 3-4th mission in the game (minus the ones you have to kill). I have only got to like the Marquis mission, but having a team of Mediators--one monk to revive those killed in the line of duties--has led to a pretty good time. So far, the [Peace] Army of Ramaza is always recruiting; will you join us now?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »

For FFVI, maybe not as overpowered as Genji--Glove/Offering but having Merton + everyone equipped with a Fire Shield or equivalent = enemies getting firestormed and you getting massive healing :D

Also for the same game, careful Esper management to ensure that your mages get every level up with Magic state increases and your chosen fighters the Strength increase. End result, absurdly powerful mages and attackers in short order.

FFVIII - Play cards. Get Quetzal's ability to change cards into items early (ie, before you become a graduated SEED). Turn cards into stat-boosting spells much earlier in the game than normally can be obtained. Cakewalk anything despite their level-matching.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: