Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Your biggest gaming addiction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Your biggest gaming addiction  (Read 3901 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Every now and again, a game comes along that swallows you up entirely. Mine wasn't actually an MMO or even an RPG. It was a mod for the HL1 engine called Natural Selection. Looking back that game took giant chunks out of my free time, and while I wont say I regret it because it had a mostly fun community and I had some good times with those guys and gals, the realisation of how much of my time it actually consumed is pretty scary.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:51:17 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

This gen it's getting wrapped up in games that are more or less open world with awesomely realized environments. Games like Red Dead or Batman or Ass Creed. I just love exploring, seeing what's there and finding worthwhile secrets.

When I was younger I'd play Twisted Metal 2 or Risk (ps1) endlessly. But I'd pipe my VCR to the stereo and listen to eps of MST3K while I played!

Before that: Tie Fighter, Mechwarrior 2, Sim City endlessly listening to music at the same time. The alternative station back then had a awesome latenight show I'd jam to called the industrial zone hosted by ZOLTAR THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

Warcraft 3 back in the day.

Only I just played on easy, killed the enemy and then kept the map going after they were dead.

Then I liked to stage little plays with the heroes.

Backstabbing, mystery, murder. It was a rip-roaring tale.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

Metal Gear Solid for PSone.

God knows how much hours I've put into that game. Never played the "Integral" version or the disc with the VR Missions though.

More recently has been Demon's/Dark Souls.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »

MMOs, MMOs......MMOs
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »

Neverwinter Nights 1. Played a rolelplaying server and basically treated it like a second life. Stopped playing that back in '07, and have tried getting back into it intermittently, but its never the same.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »

The only games I ever played non-stop were old arcade games, Pac-Man, Defender, Tempest, especially Tempest, I could play that game until I got bored, plus great thing is for all intensive purposes there wasn't a finish

Everything's Eventual
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

I don't think anything will ever trump the original Disgaea addiction I had back in High School. Hundreds of consecutive hours on that one game alone, probably thousands if you count the time spent total on La Pucelle, D1, D2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave (still only counting High School; not miscellaneous time past that spent on the remakes). Not even WoW created that kind of OCD gameplay for me when I discovered it in college (and that was one of the many factors that gave me so much trouble passing classes). Keep in mind I don't speak of any of this reverently; I actually wish to never sink that deep into the gaming sea again.

Probably my biggest 'addiction' at present is Civilization V. I'm naturally nocturnal in a place where most stuff shuts down around 11ish; so there's really nothing for me to do during the wee hours when I'm too stressed to write or work on tabletop projects. Civ gives me something to micromanage and enjoy in a good 4-5 hour burst that helps the morning pass smoothly.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:28:19 AM »

Diablo 2

Now Diablo 3

Lotsa haters atm, and people pitching in what should be changed but dang - what is it 7 weeks old?

If I do get bored of D3 it's on to Torchlight 2 whenever that comes around. For now, saving for the Godly barb gear and hunting Treasure gobs.

(#^.^#)

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »

Pretty much anything with Sid Meier's name on it.  I'm currently in the midst of five-hour-long Civ V Gods & Kings games.

I don't regret it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »

I have almost certainly played close to 2000 hours of Baldur's Gate 2 in my lifetime. I think that comes out to close to 3 months or something of my life having been spent playing that game.

Behind that, it has to be Torchlight, which I have easily played more than any game since it came out. Heck I actually play it more than D3 still. I could not even begin to explain why. Something about it just pushes the right buttons in my brain.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »

Diablo 2. Also Phantom Dust.

Also I'm pretty sure I've beaten Sonic 3 and Knuckles at least 200 times. I see the game and I just can't stop. Same for Kings Quest VI.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

Rune Factory series...may very well buy a 3ds for the 4th one (as I already own the rest).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »

For multiplayer action, Monster Hunter 2 + Unite. 

For RPG goodness, Dragon Quest. 

For "strategy", Disgaea. 

I have invested a disgusting amount of time into each of those.  A few years ago I would have also mentioned Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Tales Of, or other games, but those three are the ones that are most current and the ones I keep going back to.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »

Right now it's Binding of Isaac.

Before that, it was MMOs -- FFXI, then SWTOR.

I also went a little nuts on P3P and P3FES, logging a total of 250 hours.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: