Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 02:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Agarest Wars 2..A thread about the game and NOT the fanservice this time....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Agarest Wars 2..A thread about the game and NOT the fanservice this time....  (Read 7513 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

Before kicking this one off I just want to preface this with an apology for not continuing my last Agarest 2 thread... That thread was primarily about/focused on the LE goodies and we all know where that discussion went.... I didn't want to revive it because I felt we needed a thread about the game and not gender exploitation or discrimination or whatever the hell happened to that one.... I'm not gonna go back and check because I recall it got too out of sorts for me while it was still kicking and I figure best leave that one burried.

So any-hoo.... Who hear is as stoked as I am about this one!!? I purposely held off on Gungnir and have been finishing backlogged titles for the last 3 weeks to make sure nothing compromised immersing myself in this come wednesday morning! I really liked Agarest Zero but ruined it on myself with DLC (never ever again will I get equipment and money DLC packs.... even if they are free....).... So as such, and seeing as how this looks to be a 100% improved departure from AW0, I can't contain myself... I really feel like this is gonna be a stellar title.

If I'm not mistaken the narrative is also a completely fresh invention with nothing to do with the Ag0 and Ag1 universes, which just compounds my excitement further! Aside from that the free-roam overworld map and switch to cross-edge styled battles (much shorter than the Ag0 and Ag1 battles) has me beyond sold. So yea.... I'm going into this one with some expectations but I really don't see myself being let down here..... and if I am oh well... it still kept me focused enough this month to finish FF 4 Complete Collection, Suikoden 1 and Atelier Rorona.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »

Isn't this the one where one of the offsprings is female for once?

If so then I suppose that I should tune in at least until I hear of how they're going to handle that (my bet will be that she'll come during the final generation where it's safe to go looking for a lesbian to pair with).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »

If so then I suppose that I should tune in at least until I hear of how they're going to handle that (my bet will be that she'll come during the final generation where it's safe to go looking for a lesbian to pair with).

wow.... I never thought about that.... dating sims that would allow you to choose your sexual preference that is... has that ever been done?

In any event, on that note, supposedly in this installment you can choose to "force" whomever to be your mate to the detriment of your offsprings stats if your given choice isn't fond of you.... something tells me this game is gonna come under scrutiny no matter how good it is, as the self-righteous who need something to bitch about take these things completely  out of context...

Between this and Mugen Souls I can't wait to here how offended parents of gamer-kiddies get this year whilst completely over looking the fact that for years they have been allowing their child the virtual freedom of shooting their neighbors and friends in modern and realistic settings...

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:52 AM »

Nah Klyde, this and Mugen Souls are too obscure for anyone to make a big deal out of.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:30:48 AM »

I was kinda curious until I saw this:

'The Soul Breeding system receives a new additional feature with the implementation of a "Dark Love" ending which occurs if the relationship rate is low with the chosen mate. Rather than a happy wedding, the main character has a marriage with his bride for political interests and enters a loveless relationship to conceive a child, resulting in poor stats for the next protagonist.'

'First game in the Agarest series where you can choose any bride regardless of relationship level, with the stats for the next protagonist getting higher or lower depending on it.'

This raises red flags for me on both a level of 'failure to imagine' and 'forced uncomfortableness'.

Failure to Imagine: This 'Dark Love' concept could've actually been a major piece of awesome for this game. A sort of meter to determine if you're creating a generation of heroes, anti-heroes, or villains depending on your moral guidance in your relationship choices. While it might be cliche literary-wise it would be rather edgy for an RPG to allow you to play as a main character who's an abusive douchebag and seeing exactly how badly it messes up your son/daughter and their future generations. It doesn't exactly have to go that dark but a bit of narrative complexity wouldn't be too much to ask for these days. Instead it's basically going to amount to 'Penalty for Roleplaying! You get the boring outcome and your stats suck. Don't do it again.'

Forced Uncomfortableness: Let's just be honest without harping on it; we know JRPG's like to be hentai-light these days. It's part of the whole niche base they're trying to appeal to in order to sell more copies over there. Because of that you get all variety of nonsense that, at least in the past, is usually avoidable if you know which cut-scenes to ignore ala online guide. Sure you might lose some completion or relationship points; but at least it doesn't stop you from enjoying the game...until now. I may be jumping the gun but I'd bet good money this is what's going to happen-

Developer: Hey, there's this scene here where you drop soy beans on your love's face and it looks like you totally sprayed her. Sexy huh? Oh wait, you don't like that sort of thing? Think it's immature and not something you wish to partake in? Well guess what; we're making it so you need to watch this in order to get a nice chunk of your relationship points. So you can either get our wet dreams shoved in your face or play a character with crappy stats the rest of the game. Enjoy!

I admit though, this is just me over-analyzing what information has been put forward and applying the recent history of JRPGs and Anime that have come before it in the similar vein to these systems.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:35:29 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:36:46 AM »

wow.... I never thought about that.... dating sims that would allow you to choose your sexual preference that is... has that ever been done?

Not as far as I'm aware. Potentially in the indie market, but not mainstream. And, of course, the reason that is the case is that it wouldn't sell well (well, it potentially could, but they wouldn't risk it). That's why there are otome games for the girls and bishojo games for the guys.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »

Not as far as I'm aware. Potentially in the indie market, but not mainstream. And, of course, the reason that is the case is that it wouldn't sell well (well, it potentially could, but they wouldn't risk it). That's why there are otome games for the girls and bishojo games for the guys.

You really think so?
I think it would appeal to both audiences, so for a bishojo game, add some guy routes full of yaoi and fangirls would eat it up.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »

I've not played 2 yet, but as far as I'm aware, there is no female protagonist.  You can check it on the Agarest wiki:
http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Party_Members

Which, by the way, is also very good for getting 100% in these games.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »

You really think so?
I think it would appeal to both audiences, so for a bishojo game, add some guy routes full of yaoi and fangirls would eat it up.

I think the girls could buy it, yes. Otaku dudes in Japan who eat those games up would never buy one with a otome route.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

Ok, I am not far enough in yet to give a relevant report but I will detail my first impressions...

Let me just start by saying this game is freakin' gorgeous.... by far the most stunning anime-based visual direction I think I've ever seen in a game... katsuyuki's character art coupled with most visually appealing sprites I've seen in a current gen title equates to godiva quality eye candy here... couple that with the lush backdrops and let me say, for a game of its style, its visual impact is no less then amazing.

The soundtrack is great, very appropriate and mood enhancing. I am actually really disapointed the LE didn't include it.

The narrative a few hours in is really shining as well. This surprisingly well written script, while containing some pretty cliche elements that wouldn't normally hold my attention, has proven pretty grand so far. It's serious and gripping with great dialogue without becoming too windy for its own good if you know what I mean..... I hate feeling overwhelmed with information on the world I'm trying to immerse myself in.... worse yet is when the volumes of said info is necessary for the narrative within said world to make sense.... that is not a problem here. The scope of things feels grand, and pressing. The characters have personality. The cliches are easily overlooked in light of those two facts alone.

That so far has been its strongest points for me...

Another major pro however has been the battle system. I'm enjoying it thus far.... I'm enjoying it alot actually. However there is just a bit much to comprehend here. I'll need to give it some more time to fully understand the mechanics of it. Given that I'm a few hours in and still feel unfamiliar with it though is sort of odd.... then again I am not familiar with cross edge at all and from what I understand this sort of mirrors that a bit, so I suppose some will feel right at home here.

I can't comment  much of the gameplay elements yet actually... I just don't feel comfortable enough to say one way or the other....

On another note I will also say this.... I couldn't decide what difficulty to play on, given how tough Agarest Zero was.... yet I was afraid not playing on hard would prevent me from reaping the benefit of some content, as that was an unfortunate fact of other Agarest titles if I'm not mistaken... so after playing on normal for a few hours, it got to me and I restarted on hard. Let me just say, this game is MUCH more forgiving than the other Agarest titles. Hard has not felt dwarfing in any sense thus far. In fact, it seems to be just right I would say..... Also on that subject... I scoured the internet for info on whether or not there was much to be missed by not playing on hard and could find nothing.... The lack of info on this game is pretty astounding to me even given the fact that is a new title.

The cons so far
-No english voice acting (may or may not be a con to some)
-The gorgeous visuals can suffer a bit from lag here and there... this doesn't bother me at all, but I know it irks some people something fierce...
-Its so cool to get to walk around in real time on the world map that I feel towns could have proven alot more enjoyable if you could navigate them in the same manner.
-Character creation (much as in Agarest Zero) seems to make absolutely no freakin' sense what-so-ever.

So while my jury is still out on the meet and potatos of this one, what I have experienced thus far is golden. One more thing I would like to say, if anyone is considerring this but has been turned off by its predecessors, this is without a doubt a whole different experience than Agarest or Agarest Zero. In my opinion it is a VAST improvement on all fronts, but in some respects its way too much of a departure to even compare if you ask me.

I'll post more impressions about the gameplay and whatnot tomarrow after some more time with it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:55:15 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »

with most visually appealing sprites I've seen in a current gen title equates to godiva quality eye candy here...

I think you forgot Disgaea 4 exists.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

with most visually appealing sprites I've seen in a current gen title equates to godiva quality eye candy here...

Nah, I'll never forget Disgaea 4 :) I've been itching to get the post game content actually because its the only Disgaea title I didn't pour 100 of hours in after finishing the main story....

Anyhow back to more impressions of Agarest here....

A few more hours in and I am afraid to report things are becoming a bit stale... To expand upon my last post I'll get into gameplay a bit here....

I was mistaken.... it isn't that the systems are terribly complex or overwhelming... it is just that they are presented as such... the game does a horrible job of making things seem waaaay more complex then they need be... Now that I have the hang of it though, battles are getting a bit old (while still real pretty to look at). It seems each encounter is solved with the same repetitive strategy of combo attacks followed up by ultimate attacks... Just pay attention to the wait gauge, build up an ultimate/limit break styled move, let her rip and thats that.... Sort of is becoming "lather rinse repeat" a bit. I tend to think this may change more as the difficulty increases as I progress but we will see...

Now as for the skills and equipment systems.... The game once again bombards you with a 101 tutorials making things very complex to digest.... however much like the battle system it doesn't seem that trying once you get some hands on experience with it. Problem is, these tutorials come at the onset of the game and its literally hours before you get to actually put any of said instruction into application.... This left me feeling confused and baffled for no reason really. They make a souped up pseudo-materia system seem like quantum physics here.... at least that was the impression I initially got..

So another big con I feel need be reported in my humble opinion is how your introduced to everything within the first few hours... I can see it REALLY turning off gamers fast.... Coupled with the fact that first few hours are LONG.... you don't get your feet wet too quick in this title, let me tell you what.... in fact a few hours in and your still in the introductory phases, yet its still a good while before that which was introduced to you has any application.

So is this a perfect game? No, not by any stretch.... Is it an upgrade from the past Agarests? I would say without a doubt!.... I'll close now with this. I am actually pretty surprised with the quality displayed here by compile hearts and idea factory... I am a fan, but I'm the first to admit its because of my particular subjective tastes that I have appreciated their titles.  They have, however, definately stepped things up in a number of respects... I feel like if they knock up the gameplay a notch along with the production value they have going here we'd really see something stellar.... The long and the short of it..... Agarest Wars 2 will certainly be enough to tide me over til Growlanser IV, but I highly doubt its gonna prove something I feel a pressing need to burn through despite the decent narrative and eye candy.

But once again, these are initial impressions.... another week or so with the title and I think I'll really know where I stand with it.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

A few more hours in and I am afraid to report things are becoming a bit stale... To expand upon my last post I'll get into gameplay a bit here....

I was mistaken.... it isn't that the systems are terribly complex or overwhelming... it is just that they are presented as such... the game does a horrible job of making things seem waaaay more complex then they need be...

So, in other words, it's a classic Idea Factory failure.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »

Grindea factory strikes again.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »

I was mistaken.... it isn't that the systems are terribly complex or overwhelming... it is just that they are presented as such... the game does a horrible job of making things seem waaaay more complex then they need be...

So, in other words, it's a classic Idea Factory failure.

Well I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that.... as I said, this is without question a cut above their other titles.... there is some definitive evolution to bear witness to here.... Most of IF's other titles I felt were borderline torture unless you were (as I am) part of that niche' demographic they are catering to.... I actually feel this ALMOST transcends that and stands on its own two feet as a really decent SRPG... Mind you I said almost.... The flaws do hold it back, to the point of failure...? No, I don't think so..... It has inherent IF flaws, but it has enough going for it that, unlike most other titles they have produced, these flaws are the type of thing that make you frustrated at points but not enough to quit playing....

So flawed yes, failed (in my opinion) no.

I actually feel if this is any indication of whats to come out of IF in the future they may prove to have some seriously decent games someday.....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: