Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 11:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332959 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo -- awesome liner notes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo -- awesome liner notes  (Read 1015 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

http://vgmdb.net/album/32972

Just got this in the mail and added the packaging scans to vgmdb. Of note --

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=151453

(you'll need to be logged in to see images at full size)

That's a two-page English commentary from Masashi Hamauzu, who was not in any way a part of Symphonic Fantasies, but did work with producer Thomas Böcker before. These liner notes are some of the most thoughtful statements on game music and the industry you'll find anywhere.

Beyond that, there are 2-paragraph notes from each of the four composers (Shimomura / Kikuta / Mitsuda / Uematsu) specific to this concert.

A review on RPGFan is in the works. But in the meantime, VGM nuts will want to read these English liner notes. They're fantastic. I really love what Hamauzu has to say (and as for music that was initially not well-received but later gained much acclaim, I wonder if he's talking about SaGa Frontier 2 or Unlimited SaGa?)

Ramza

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »

Someone in VGMdb was saying that this release was controvertial, why is that? And what are those liner notes about? ・ヘ・
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »

um ... it's not really all that controversial. Basically it's a second recording of a concert they'd already recorded in Germany back in ... 2009 or 2010.

So you could say it's "controversial" if you think it's also controversial that there are THREE recordings of every Dragon Quest Symphonic Suite I through VII.

As for the liner notes ... um ... read them? They're self explanatory?

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

A re-recording, eh? Which would you recommend purchasing for my listening pleasures? I'll be sure to look into your review/thoughts on the album(s). ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »

I think Stephen is handling the Tokyo review. The original album I reviewed when it came out years ago.

The Tokyo one is better. It includes the encore, and it's a better encore than the old digital-only release. the FF medley also was improved upon.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: