Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319001 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Crunchyroll PS3 app!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crunchyroll PS3 app!  (Read 1088 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

I thought about putting this in the anime/manga journal, but it's not exactly a show.  And heck, it deserves its own topic.

Crunchyroll just announced a PS3 app.  This makes me quite happy.  In case you don't know, Crunchyroll is pretty much the best way to watch current anime shows (legally).  They stream subtitled anime simulcasted with their Japanese airtime.  Funimation and Viz stream some of their own stuff too (they usually put it on Hulu too), but they don't have nearly the selection that CR does.

I already have a PC plugged into my TV pretty much just for watching streaming stuff, but this is potentially more convenient (and I never configured the TV for proper 5 channel audio output...).  Crunchyroll is doing 720p and even 1080p streams now so the quality should be great.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »

YES! Totally gonna take advantage of this...expect the PS3 is in my bedroom. Right next to my computer. Hooked up to a smaller TV than my monitor. But still, someday I'll enjoy this.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »

This is indeed very awesome.  I wasn't sure if I would like CR at first or not, but it turned out to be a pretty awesome service.

Now I just need to re-hook up my PS3.  I took it down after Graces to hook up the Wii so I could play Xenoblade, but I'm going to have to hook it back up.  I really want to test it out.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:37:24 AM »

So the app is live...anyone gotten it to work?  I tried a few times and just ended up staring at a blank screen with no video, until eventually it managed to lock up the whole system.  Not off to a great start here...

Edit: OK, I eventually got it to work but only with lots of skipping and buffering until it finally decided to drop the video quality to absolute shit.  Mind you, I routinely stream 720p on my PC with zero issues.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:44:13 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

I guess they said they know about the issues, so I'm sure updates will come soon. 

Apparently though, they haven't put in the ability to stream 720/1080p yet.  Doesn't seem like a bright idea to me to release the app without at least 720p.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: