Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Resident Evil 6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Resident Evil 6  (Read 26112 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »

Review thread on gaf is a mess. This is the only good post I found there so far.

And yesterday I read a retrospective of RE2 on Eurogamer, I really liked this part:

"Lots of people mistakenly think that the Resident Evil games are supposed to be scary. I think the intended tone is one of gnawing anxiety rather than overwhelming fear, that feeling familiar from nightmares where you need to get away from something but you seem to be running on the spot, or the floor becomes thick and gluey. That's still the feeling I get from Resident Evil 2, particularly those early, perfect scenes of urban carnage and frantic escape. That's the bullseye fans still want Capcom to hit."
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

I'm not too worried about this game. The demo was a lot of fun co-op, and I can't wait to get more of it. The story seems like the same bat-shit insanity that you shouldn't take too seriously, and I'm okay with that, cause at least it's entertaining. I'm not expecting RE2 or anything like that, I just want a fun game to play with some friends, and so far I haven't been disappointed with what I've seen.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:19:30 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »

I feel like I found a kindred spirit in Mr. Sterling (though that's certainly not the case all the time).  The RE6 demo offended me as a fan.  I'm really sad to see the series in this kind of state and hope that Capcom can right the ship.   
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »

I'm fine with it not being like RE2 because this series has stopped being like RE2 with RE3.

My problem is that they can't recapture half of RE4's magic reliably. RE:R came closest, but I think the "it's now an action game!" angle is overlooking how you still had some of those adventure elements, even if they weren't exactly deep they were enough to make the game feel more robust and have more of an explorative angle. RE5 and presumably RE6 just dive straight into being full blown action, partially because that kind of gameplay wouldn't work well with co-op. Ideally I think they should scrap this campaign co-op angle entirely, I got stuff like Gears of War for that doing a better job anyway, and instead really beef up Mercenaries, make sure that's playable from the start, and definitely include co-op in that. Well, maybe make a smaller, co-op campaign on the side.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

I hate AI controlled team mates, I wasn't impressed by the demo, I dislike tunnel linearity and I'm still boycotting Capcom. So..WHY THE HECK AM SO TEMPTED TO BUY THIS GAME? Makes no sense... Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

I hate AI controlled team mates, I wasn't impressed by the demo, I dislike tunnel linearity and I'm still boycotting Capcom. So..WHY THE HECK AM SO TEMPTED TO BUY THIS GAME? Makes no sense... Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

It's a hot new game that's a huge deal and you were a fan of the series? Just do your best to ignore it and maybe a week or two later you'll be going "why did I even seriously consider it?"

Though come to think of it people who don't have any RE games at all would probably be served decently with Anthology on PS3 if they were willing to make that kind of plunge and take a chance (or trade in RE6 ASAP if disappointed). You get EVERY mainline RE game with it, so even if you hate RE6 you'd still have 1-5 to check out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:46:52 PM by Eusis » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »

Man. What a huge letdown this game turned out to be. It sucks. I take no pleasure in saying that but after spending some time with it my initial reaction stuck. Me no like: (

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »

I take no pleasure in bashing Capcom over RE6.  I love the franchise.  I actually spent the weekend re-watching those awesome retrospectives on GameTrailers.  I used to hang out with my buddies while we were still in middle school and we tried to beat the original Resident Evil.  We each had a job: I was the navigator, Dave was the controller, and Bill handled the puzzles.  It was a wonderful experience and ranks up there as one of my favorite childhood memories.  Playing the REmake on Gamecube brought all of those awesome feelings back, and Resident Evil 4 took all of that in an exciting new direction.  I just feel like Capcom forgot what made the series so special, and they're almost afraid to release a traditional adventure game like the first few titles. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:51:13 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »

i dont understand the hate this game is getting. maybe its the fact that i havent played an RE game since dreamcast? or that im buying it to play co-op with friends? RE fans are just as bad as FF fans i swear.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »

My thoughts on FF13 are well known.  Both series have moved in directions that I have no interest in playing.  I'm not sitting here expecting Square-Enix and Capcom to cater to my every whim.  They have gone in very different directions with their key franchises, and I am practicing my right to not buy their products. 
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »

i dont understand the hate this game is getting.

I don't understand why people think shit stinks!

Because this game is a chaotic mess that tries to be everything to everyone on a superficial level, and succeeds at nothing. Or so I get from a combination of reviews and demo experience.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »

i dont understand the hate this game is getting. maybe its the fact that i havent played an RE game since dreamcast? or that im buying it to play co-op with friends? RE fans are just as bad as FF fans i swear.
What's really not understandable is how you can't reconcile the views of others with your own (apparently superior) opinions.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

i dont understand the hate this game is getting.

The game is polarizing and fans of the series can't deal with the fact how much RE has changed over the years.

RE fans are just as bad as FF fans i swear.

Every fandom is annoying.

I don't understand why people think shit stinks!

Because this game is a chaotic mess that tries to be everything to everyone on a superficial level, and succeeds at nothing. Or so I get from a combination of reviews and demo experience.

I said in my impressions of the demo that the game is a "mixed bag that is trying to please everyone", now we are seeing the results of that and oh what a surprise opinions are all over the place. The way some people is so violently hating on the game is impressive to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:56:14 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

I'm all for people playing and enjoying the games they want to play.  More power to those that like RE6.  I personally don't see it, but that's just my opinion. 
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »

just read that jim sterling review. is he one of those journalists that gets paid to be a dick.
What's really not understandable is how you can't reconcile the views of others with your own (apparently superior) opinions.
except that in this case i have no real opinion on the matter.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: