Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334539 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Resident Evil 6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Resident Evil 6  (Read 25750 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »

So far the boss battles have been fun but not really challenging. I had way too much time to stand around and figure stuff out during that train fight.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

Finished Leon's campaign. Fun as hell.

Ready for some brotastic mansauce in Chris'
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »

brotastic mansauce

The best kind of mansauce
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »

Finished Leon's campaign. Fun as hell.

Ready for some brotastic mansauce in Chris'
I'm confused. Why do you seem to be enjoying this game so much. This game sucks. All the reviews say so!
; - )

Really, what's the deal? Are you simply able to look past whatever flaws bothered all those other people? I'm curious about this big disparity.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »

I have no idea why people are reviewing it poorly.  I have no beef.  There's a few things that'd be nice if they added in (upgrading weapons was KINDA cool, and buying first aid sprays were always great in a pinch) but I'm pretty damn happy so far.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »

For me it's co-op, any game with good co-op structure and a good partner instantly gets a boost in the rating.

Also, the game is just fun to play. I played only the 1st campaign, sure, but it had a great feel to it. Excellent atmosphere, fun levels, and some good tense moments. The shooting and melee is a blast. The game is beautiful to look at.

And the cheesy things like screaming for Dice to open a door while she looks for crates to slide into.

The negative things are that even the few puzzle segments are made moot by waypoint markers. There's some great parts though where you're trying to outrun a deadly fog or need to navigate a maze-ish level with an baddie chasing you.

I would scream like a fool if they made an RE in the vain of RE1 or RE2, but since that's not happening anytime soon I'll make due with this. A fun game packed with stuff.

Plus, it's horror movie mega-cheese

In general I feel that reviews are poor because the game is not what people wanted. I don't think reviewers are being totally objective.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »

The problem isn't lack of objectivity; it's Capcom's fault for submitting their game to the wrong category.

Let's take this from a movie standpoint for a minute. Say the Avengers had absolutely insisted on being called a 'Horror' film. Despite what anyone tried to tell it they insisted on it being genre'd as such for purposes of review, sales placement, marketing, ect. What would critics have had to say? Sure they could admit the movie was 'structured' and 'well made' but an absolute and utter failure as a 'Horror film' and had no business being there in the first place.

Now let's look at RE6. If Capcom hadn't insisted on this being Survival Horror (if nothing else by virtue of the name RE; there's no ounce of plausibility that their marketing team doesn't know that's what it used to be associated with) and instead packaged this entire game as a new Shooter entry into the market (or re-branded it as something like 'Action-Horror', still dropping the RE name); it likely would've been received much more favorably than it has been now.

Basically Capcom only has itself to blame for the bad reviews. Any basic focus group testing would've left them with a fair amount of feedback saying 'This isn't survival horror'. Any marketeer with a brain would've gone 'Hmm...maybe we shouldn't put the Action/Adventure in the Horror section; that never ends well'. Alas, neither happened. They knew the RE name would generate insta-buys so instead went for the quick cash grab at the expense of shooting the dog of yet another fanbase. (I'd go so far to say RE6 is to Survival Horror RE fans as Xover is to Megaman fans.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:23:18 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:34 AM »

Who gives a shit. It's a fun game, stop crying about details that don't matter.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »

Because exchanging opinions is actually fun to some people? :-P I actually prefer to learn new things by stating an opinion and seeing what counters are put out there so I can absorb new information and make new conclusions based on which counter-opinions make sense and are well-supported.

I'd look into a brace for that knee because involuntary spams like that could put someone's eye out. ^_~ (Keep in mind I only say that in light jest. :-P )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:12:44 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »

Is the fact you're not walking around a creepy house *THAT* vital to Resident Evil's legacy??? 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

From what I've gathered the problem isn't the location and more the fact that the characters feel too powerful. Where as Survival Horror is pretty much 'You need to run; you may hurt a few but Horror Creature of the Day is that much more powerful than you." To simplify it.

The most common complaints I hear are basically how the characters are too well armed to be Survival Horror protagonists and just in general 'too strong'. (Between the strength of the weapons and the melee attacks.) Basically a 'power level' just fine for your average shooter but completely mood breaking for a Survival Horror game.

I think what they want in general, for the game as a whole, is that feeling RE4's endless mob village scene had. That seemed to be just the right balance between character power and enemy threat where it didn't feel like you were curb-stomping a laughably bad foe but you weren't Silent Hill's "OMG All I have is this pipe!" level of weakness.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »

RE6 is a "Dramatic Horror" game.

Resident Evil over time when from "a game to scare people" to "a big (almost) convoluted story about biological warfare".

...that's, all I can say really.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Ok, then. Seeing as I've never done co-op, and never will, that part of it makes no difference to me.
If it's fun, it's fun, but it IS too bad that it's not an actual horror game. That's what always drew me into the series. It seems all I get for horror now is Dead Space, and that is going more and more action/adventure as well.
This could be a $20 buy in the future, but that's it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

It seems all I get for horror now is Dead Space, and that is going more and more action/adventure as well.

Not to derail the thread, but have you tried Amnesia? If not and your computer can run it, I'd recommend it. Not only does it have a base game, but fans have been using the mod tools to craft their own stories.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:10:59 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: