Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:45:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330049 Posts in 13524 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VII announced for PC, SE Store exclusive with new online features
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII announced for PC, SE Store exclusive with new online features  (Read 3756 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »

"The RPG classic FINAL FANTASY VII returns to PC, now with brand new online features!

Achievements Whether you're a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

Cloud Saves If you're away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off (Requires Internet Connection).

Character Booster Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Optimized for PC FINAL FANTASY VII has been updated to support the latest hardware and Windows Operating Systems."
-- Source: store.eu.square-enix.com

Official website: http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/en
Announcement Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UwO1xgiOUE&hd=1
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

I just don't understand the point of doing this =/
There's nothing new in the game at all.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »

Basically they just gave people an HQ remake without having to do an ounce of work themselves. Any given popular PC game has a huge mod community; you can pretty much make a safe bet that VII will have someone crack the coding within the first month and before the year's done someone will have put instructions online how to download a patch to make the game's graphics modernized.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

This is...incredibly lame.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »

I don't understand the complaints.  Is it lame when they offer PS1 classics for the PS3/PSP as well?  Is it lame when GOG or somebody else resurrects old classics?  The thing is, the PC version of FFVII is not only long out of print, it doesn't even work right on modern versions of Windows (it was made for Windows 95 and wasn't the best port in the world...).  So it really isn't an option for most people.  What's wrong with giving more people a chance to play it?

Just because this isn't the HD remake people seem to want (though part of me is convinced that if such a remake were made it would be terrible...) doesn't make it pointless.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »

Ok, fair enough, but it's very clear that this isn't what everyone is looking for. Final Fantasy VII is pretty easy to get a hold of.

EDIT: Besides, being released on PSN means you can play it portable or on the big screen. This is neither, it's on the PC, but with really no (important) distinctions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:34:19 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »

...But alas, it probably won't have a mac version. :( Sadface.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

My only disappointment is that it's being kept exclusive to SE's store for some dumb reason, I guess now SE wants to take a cue from EA/Ubisoft and run their own crap, except it's in the game where this matters least.

However, I'm very much for making and keeping games accessible, so a no frills port is great so long as it runs perfectly. Should give other FFs this treatment if possible actually.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »

Basically they just gave people an HQ remake without having to do an ounce of work themselves. Any given popular PC game has a huge mod community; you can pretty much make a safe bet that VII will have someone crack the coding within the first month and before the year's done someone will have put instructions online how to download a patch to make the game's graphics modernized.

In this case, I don't think that's very realistic. Character models and battles scenes could be improved, but it would take an inordinate amount of work to redo all the pre-rendered backgrounds, which are all in a resolution several times smaller than modern standards.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »

If Squaresoft (developers period really, especially Japanese ones) were better at reliably keeping older materials I think an HD release just using the original assets would be AMAZING, imagine having those backgrounds in a much higher resolution and everything running at a nice, high framerate, maybe even with widescreen that doesn't resort to cropping. Unfortunately they probably long lost those renders and would have to either do them all over again or fake it.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »

I don't understand the complaints. Is it lame when they offer PS1 classics for the PS3/PSP as well?  Is it lame when GOG or somebody else resurrects old classics?

If this was on Steam or GoG I'd acknowledge your argument...

Don't forget that it's still really easy to find a PSX FFVII (Greatest Hits) and it works fine on a PS3.
If not, it's on the PS store too.

Why revive the worst version of the game anyway?
My dad actually bought it when I was young and I still ended up buying the PSX version myself years later.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

No sale if the game still uses shitty MIDI sequenced versions of all the music.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 08:05:06 PM »

The thing that bother me the most is that Square Enix can make this version the "definitive" one of the game but it seems that they really don't want to put much time and effort in doing so.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:28:05 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 12:20:44 AM »

Oh Square Enix

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 04:36:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8c0_GalK40&hd=1#t=5m55s

Been hearing the soundtrack again just for the hell of it. I didn't remember that last few minutes of "The Planet's Crisis" were so good.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:00:56 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: