Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331602 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  How can I put saved data from old PS3 HDD into my new PS3 HDD?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How can I put saved data from old PS3 HDD into my new PS3 HDD?  (Read 9889 times)
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

Hey guys,

I originally purchased the 80GB fat PS3 from the MGS4 Bundle and recently reached my storage limit. I went to Best Buy later and bought a 1TB HDD that I later put in my PS3, which then formatted the HDD. The HDD works fine, but now I'm left with the original 80GB HDD with all the save data left on it. Is there a method that will enable me to transfer my save data (game downloads, etc.) from the original 80GB HDD onto the 1 TB HDD that I purchased and installed on my PS3? Or is all my save data and previously downloaded content lost and I'll be forced to download them from the PS Store again?

My technical knowledge is pretty basic, but I learn easily once I know what to do. A sales representative at Best Buy told me that I needed to use an HDD docking system, but I tried it and it's not getting my old HDD data onto my PS3, so I need a different method.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

OK, so there is a backup tool on the PS3 for you to do this.  The downside is that since you've already used the new HDD, I don't know if it will overwrite what's on there.

To use this tool you need:

1) Old hard drive (installed in PS3)
2) A USB memory stick (I used a 16GB one)
3) New Hard Drive

Now, you're limited to what you can do in regards to the space you have on said memory stick.  For me, I just wanted to move my save data - I was OK with having to download DLC/games again or having install times.  That's really the only caveat here.  You could also theoretically use a third hard drive for this, should you have one sitting around.

So, here are the steps to take.

1) With the old hard drive in the system, delete all data that is NOT needed to transfer (Movies, music, install data, etc.)
2) When you have your HD down to a size that will fit on the memory stick/backup hard drive, plug that baby in, and go System Settings -> Backup Utility
3) Select the backup option.  Follow all of the steps and back up onto your memory stick.
4) Turn off the PS3, and install your new hard drive.
5) Go to system settings -> Backup Utility, and this time select restore.
6) All of your data will be transfered to the new hard drive.

Like I said, I don't have experience with this in regards to having used the new HDD already, but that's the standard, Sony way of backing up PS3 data.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »

Thanks, John. Hopefully it'll work even though I already formatted the new HDD.

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

Just wanted to say it worked perfectly and I got all my save data back. Thanks a bunch, John!

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

Glad it worked!  It's nice not to worry about juggling install data.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: