Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334713 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  .Hack
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: .Hack  (Read 4162 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

.hack games were generally boring as shit, because they took the narrative for one game and spread it out among three or four, with pointless padding and inane gameplay.

Quoted for truth. The sites you had to unlock with Virus Cores definitely qualified as needless padding.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »

.hack games were generally boring as shit, because they took the narrative for one game and spread it out among three or four, with pointless padding and inane gameplay.

Quoted for truth. The sites you had to unlock with Virus Cores definitely qualified as needless padding.

In addition to that, you're not even introduced to the big bad for the original quadilogy until literally moments before the credits roll on the first game (and I mean you just see the guy just before he pwns your ass and you have to make an emergency bail, then the credits roll and its on to the next $30 for a used copy game). Its like playing through FFVII right up until president Shinra's death and then bam, credits and a message to go pay $30~50 for disk two.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »

I'm going to try the G.U. games soon, but I'm actually borrowing them from someone else in exchange for lending him the Digital Devil Saga games. Rather lopsided trade, it seems.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

Thanks guys for the opinions. You just saved me a lot of money. Hopefully someone can take some of the good ideas in this series and turn it into an actual good game, and you know, not spread it out so much.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »

I actually really like the .hack series, but I'm not about to suggest anyone spend hundreds of dollars trying to get the whole set unless you already know you'll like it enough to be worth your investment. I just really like the universe and little touches to the game, as well as the general gameplay, enough to overlook the fact that's basically one overly long game, but I knew I'd like it as soon I read the description...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »

I originally liked the original .hack series and .hack//SIGN was a favorite of mine for a while.  I actually liked the multimedia storytelling concept, but unfortunately it got quite convoluted after a while.  I got fed up with .hack//GU after a while, though I liked the gameplay more in that one.  I just couldn't stand Haseo and his constant jerkass (with the occasional heart of gold) attitude.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »

Sorry to revive a month-dead-thread guys, but I finally decided to check this out seeing as how I had all 7 sitting on the shelf and it was either "sell the set because people pay more then I think is reasonable ATM for them" or give them a shot.... So I waited until a battle at Aida Bridge in Growlanser warranted a little breather from the Wayfarer of Time and decided to pop in .hack..... deciding to dare to start right from infection despite really wanting to jump into G.U.....

Now the purpose of my posting here is just to say, that this is another title I feel could REALLY be appreciated by the right audience... in other words, not to reiterate all that was mentioned already but the game is just not there in terms of gameplay and design.... HOWEVER if the style and story appeal to your particular tastes this is totally a rare gem. Nothing quite like it that I am aware of.

Being a fan of 90's anime sci-fantasy (even though this franchise kicks off in 2001-2002), the visual style and mood of this title is just freakin' awesome.  There is a certain air of creepiness that really reminds me of Serial Experiments Lain here.... something I can't say I've really discerned from many other titles (to be honest, no other games come to mind)....

Without becoming too longwinded, basically I just want to say that despite the flaws in gameplay (although it really is not THAT bad....) and the fact that there is warranted reason to write this one off, if it does seem as though stylistically it may appeal to you, really take a look at this one online or check out the first leg of this adventure (infection is real cheap despite the high price of the rest of the franchise). I am pleasantly surprised to find something really original here in concept and story.

That is all... I just really needed to express how I've never played anything quite like this.... Nor do I suspect we'll ever see anything quite like it again and if you are like me it may just scratch an itch that is hard to reach with other titles.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:44 PM »

Tried the original Hack but only the first disc, if at least the dungeons werent boring as hell i might had given it a chance to disc2 but nah its a patethic series that divides the plot on 4 dics wich could eaily fit on just 1 and thinking to pass those boring dungeons again on the 3 disc way it drives me nuts.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:11:18 PM by Kratoscar2008 » Logged

The True Growlanser
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »

I'm quite sad to see that .hack has gotten so little love here. I personally love both series. The tie in media is sort of hit and miss for me. I admit the mechanics for the first four games have some issues and likely have not aged well. However I still enjoy the games and G.U. certainly has better gameplay than the first four. I think that the games make for an interesting game experience and the .hack project(telling a story across multiple forms of media realeased over a persiod of time) was an interesting idea even if it did fail in several regards.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 03:15:52 AM »

That is all... I just really needed to express how I've never played anything quite like this.... Nor do I suspect we'll ever see anything quite like it again and if you are like me it may just scratch an itch that is hard to reach with other titles.

Never heard of Sword Art Online?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

...considering it was never known in English-speaking territories until just a few months ago, I'd be very surprised if he did hear of it before.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »

Actually I heard about it but never checked it out..... I'm a crunchyroll junkie though so it was damn near impossible to avoid hearing/seeing this mentioned quite a bit recently.... Thanks to you my friend, I'm no longer in the dark... This looks to be interesting and all, and I will have to reserve my judgement til I watch but talk about a .hack rip-off.... I mean, I know we live at a point in time where every scenario one can imagine has been done in some fashion or another already but seriously.... judging from that summary the title of the series should have been freakin ".hack//alternate narrative".... though maybe I am completely off base with that assumption and it is my hope that, in execution, this has a real original flavor because it does look cool! Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I must correct myself..... apparently Sword Art actually predates .hack so disregard my ".hack rip-off" comment.... also seems there are quite a few signifigant differences actually.... I am more or less doing this edit to proclaim that my initial impressions there seem erroneous and pre-emptive before someone else points it out-LoL
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:18:36 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »

i played the first four they were okay it didn't really offend me enough to stop playing them and it was just interesting enough to keep playing the next title. i think they were trying to get that episodic gaming thing down. honestly if didn't play them forever ago i might've got the last three if i found them cheap.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

Ok I officially am loving the hell out of this series.... I even decided to indulge the .hack//sign anime and get some prequel backstory (although I got to admit the anime is absolutely TERRIBLE.... its still cool to see if your really into it as I am ATM).... Even the gameplay has totally grown on me at this point.... hopping into menus 101 times per battle, while hindering the "action" or "real time" aspect of things, totally reminds me of how single player boss battles felt in secret of mana as kid when the only other neighborhood RPG geek couldn't make it over for couch co-op.

This is really surprising me, my feelings went from "this is really cool narrative but these dungeons and gameplay are gonna get to me..." to "I wonder how many hours of sleep I can cut from my schedule to play more of this".....  If G.U is as big an improvement over the first quadrilogy as the majority here has led me to believe I think I'm in for a real treat :)

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:59 AM »

I know this is pretty late, but apparently fragment (collection of first 4 games) is very cheap on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/hack-fragment-Japan-Import-Playstation-2/dp/B000AJHDEW
And link is supposedly a condensed rehash of all 7 games
http://www.amazon.com/hack-LINK-Japan-Import-Sony-PSP/dp/B002YQ3YFG

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: