Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332935 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  .Hack
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: .Hack  (Read 4068 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

As far as I know, Fragment was a half-assed online game with identical gameplay to the first four games and Link is just yet another sequel to the series. The actual games are rare enough to be pretty expensive, as far as I know. Don't waste your money on either.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »

Ok I officially am loving the hell out of this series.... I even decided to indulge the .hack//sign anime and get some prequel backstory (although I got to admit the anime is absolutely TERRIBLE.... its still cool to see if your really into it as I am ATM).... Even the gameplay has totally grown on me at this point.... hopping into menus 101 times per battle, while hindering the "action" or "real time" aspect of things, totally reminds me of how single player boss battles felt in secret of mana as kid when the only other neighborhood RPG geek couldn't make it over for couch co-op.

This is really surprising me, my feelings went from "this is really cool narrative but these dungeons and gameplay are gonna get to me..." to "I wonder how many hours of sleep I can cut from my schedule to play more of this".....  If G.U is as big an improvement over the first quadrilogy as the majority here has led me to believe I think I'm in for a real treat :)
Hurray another .hack fan has been born!

And I would definatly say that G.U. is an improvement over the original series in just about every aspect. The gameplay is faster, the visuals are better, and I prefer the G.U. storyline a little bit. Only complaints I have about G.U. are that the party member class balance is really bad(I think you get something like 10 single blade users and zero two handed blade users as an example) and I missed some of the completely random stories you occasioanlly got in the "news" for the original game. Those stories really made it feel like you were on the Internet even if they did serve absolutely no in game purpose.

I know this is pretty late, but apparently fragment (collection of first 4 games) is very cheap on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/hack-fragment-Japan-Import-Playstation-2/dp/B000AJHDEW
And link is supposedly a condensed rehash of all 7 games
http://www.amazon.com/hack-LINK-Japan-Import-Sony-PSP/dp/B002YQ3YFG

Fragment was an "MMO" for the PS2. Reason it is so cheap is because the servers were taken down a while ago, so it is probably impossible to actually play.

Link....is a fan service game. I haven't played it myself, but my understanding of the general concept of the game is that the main character has to travel back in time to prevent someone elese from altering events of the .hack series. The gae coverse events from basically every single .hack related work including A.I. Buster, Sign, and even the (implied out of continuity) G.U. movie. So technically yes it does include events from all 7 previous games, but it isn't the games themselves and I imagine it is missing a lot of events considering the sheer scope of works covered.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »

I know this is pretty late, but apparently fragment (collection of first 4 games) is very cheap on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/hack-fragment-Japan-Import-Playstation-2/dp/B000AJHDEW
And link is supposedly a condensed rehash of all 7 games
http://www.amazon.com/hack-LINK-Japan-Import-Sony-PSP/dp/B002YQ3YFG

If you don't mind to, or are able to, play import titles this is usually a much more cost effective way to hunt down some of the waaay over-priced gems of yesteryear. Check out what some of the old PS1 imports go for on e-bay... way cheaper than the covetted  NTSC counter-part releases we pay an arm and a leg for....

this always blows my mind because as a kid I remember paying insane amounts of money for import famicom games then hunted down translation guides and whatnot... my how the times have changed....
Ok I officially am loving the hell out of this series.... I even decided to indulge the .hack//sign anime and get some prequel backstory (although I got to admit the anime is absolutely TERRIBLE.... its still cool to see if your really into it as I am ATM).... Even the gameplay has totally grown on me at this point.... hopping into menus 101 times per battle, while hindering the "action" or "real time" aspect of things, totally reminds me of how single player boss battles felt in secret of mana as kid when the only other neighborhood RPG geek couldn't make it over for couch co-op.

This is really surprising me, my feelings went from "this is really cool narrative but these dungeons and gameplay are gonna get to me..." to "I wonder how many hours of sleep I can cut from my schedule to play more of this".....  If G.U is as big an improvement over the first quadrilogy as the majority here has led me to believe I think I'm in for a real treat :)
Hurray another .hack fan has been born!

And I would definatly say that G.U. is an improvement over the original series in just about every aspect. The gameplay is faster, the visuals are better, and I prefer the G.U. storyline a little bit. Only complaints I have about G.U. are that the party member class balance is really bad(I think you get something like 10 single blade users and zero two handed blade users as an example) and I missed some of the completely random stories you occasioanlly got in the "news" for the original game. Those stories really made it feel like you were on the Internet even if they did serve absolutely no in game purpose.

Born I have been.... onto mutation I go.... I just finished infection.... And what started out as a "I'm gonna blow through this game" variety of a play-through, turned out quite different... I took the time to do quite a bit of the optional stuff actually. I timed it appropriately enough to where I finished watching //sign right as I finsihed infection as well.... The anime wasn't the worst thing in the world but the ending sure was... I don't know whether the last few episodes (the  OVA's) are just non-sense extra content to feature the characters in the quadrilogy or legitimate spoilers... and I'm glad I don't know, because if I did it may ruin things for me.... as such I would HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT WATCHING THE OVA's OF //SIGN until....well... I don't really know exactly... but certainly not as early as I have...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »

Born I have been.... onto mutation I go.... I just finished infection.... And what started out as a "I'm gonna blow through this game" variety of a play-through, turned out quite different... I took the time to do quite a bit of the optional stuff actually. I timed it appropriately enough to where I finished watching //sign right as I finsihed infection as well.... The anime wasn't the worst thing in the world but the ending sure was... I don't know whether the last few episodes (the  OVA's) are just non-sense extra content to feature the characters in the quadrilogy or legitimate spoilers... and I'm glad I don't know, because if I did it may ruin things for me.... as such I would HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT WATCHING THE OVA's OF //SIGN until....well... I don't really know exactly... but certainly not as early as I have...

Yeah .hack//SIGN is....umm unique. Not sure what to say about the OVAs since I don't know which ones you saw(Ibelieve there are technically three of them). Your use of the word nonsense though leads me to believe that you saw Gift, in which case.....no it is not in continuity and it is intended to be complete nonsense. Unison/Reuinion(seen both names, so I dunno which is right) is out of continuit, but I won't get into why in case you haven't seen it.

If you want to be absolutely obsessive with .hack, you should pick up the .hack//AI Buster novel. It is a story set before .hack//SIGN. The story is somewhat split in focus between a system admin who stumbles upon a rogue AI while debugging the game and the attempt of the "Descendants of Fiona" to clear the One Sin event. The former event isn't really mentioned in the games as I recall, but the second event is referenced simply by the presence of Orca and Balmung in the games although the game doesn't refer to specific details from the event. I found the book to be a quick and enjoyable read, plus it is only six dollars on amazon new. There is a second AI Buster book, but I think at least one of the stories in the second book takes place after the games so waiting to read that one might be best.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

I really liked .hack//SIGN. It's storytelling was different, but it played its themes well, and that's what appealed to me the most.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: