Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 04:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328024 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  All time favourite game characters.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: All time favourite game characters.  (Read 7489 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:42 AM »

Hmm this necro is too hilarious not to post in (started reading the thread and was like who the fudge are these people until I saw the timestamp). I suppose I should post something on topic though. Uhhhh, I guess Roxas? I sort of want to say Lyner from Ar Tonelico also, but I dunno.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »

Muppy!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »

My go-to answers for this question are Laharl from Disgaea 1, Delita from Final Fantasy Tactics, and Carmen. Mother. Fucking. Sandiego. 

Favorite characters from more recently-played games would be John Marston and Kanji Tatsumi.  Love those two guys. 

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »

It would probably be Agro from Shadow of the Colossus. I am actually serious. The horse is awesome.

Then there are others like Sir Daniel Fortesque from Medievil, Gilgamesh and Galuf from FFV and Gig from Soul Nomad.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »

Taressa from this old RPGFan Round Robin.  Round robins count as games, right?  http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8002.0

Otherwise I'd have to go with my favorite video game character from childhood: Strider Hiryu.  Strider for NES was my favorite NES game and I thought Hiryu was the coolest hero ever.  He was a badass futuristic ninja.  And you know what?  I still think he's pretty darn cool.  And I'm still wondering how I got to the last stage in Strider NES because that game was kinda difficult. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 11:16:52 AM »

Hm favorite characters. Let's see... Obviously I like Cloud seeing as he is my avatar. Zack I thought was fleshed out well in Crisis Core and I really enjoyed the dynamic between him and Cloud at the end. Non-Final Fantasy characters (because I could list a bunch) would be Thane and Garrus from Mass Effect because they were awesome killing machines (non-sentient :P ), Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil (although I haven't played 6 to see if they destroyed him or not), Ratchet & Clank because they are hilarious, Nate & Sully from Uncharted (love the back and forth banter), and definitely Dante from Devil May Cry (including the new one, thought he was cool too).

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »

Luke from Tales of the Abyss for his growth and character arc. (TotA was also a couple months from release in NA when this topic was started! :D)

Joel from The Last of Us cause he's a cutie patootie.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:34:29 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »

Auron: mature, cool, and can baseball bat a malboro outta the desert!
I liked that the group of young ones had that mature guide, while he still deferred to Yuna and her decisions.

Garrus: yes I romanced him. Sure, he's not much to look at but he's got the best personality, humour and it's cute how shy he gets when you flirt with him.

Koromaru: c'mon, who wouldn't want him as fav? So loyal and cute. Who's a good doggie?
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »

Maya Fey.

Also, the more I think about her, the less I hate Aqua from KH Birth by Sleep. I actually really like her. She may not have the greatest personality or motivations, but she has one of the most bittersweet character arcs in any JRPG (which says a lot).

Code:
After basically being showered with praise and guaranteed a promising future, she gets dragged along on an adventure that ends with her having to fight her two best friends, and then sacrifices herself AND ensures Terra a lifetime of suffering just to provide a tiny bit of hope of stopping Xehanort. That really brief part of the ending where Ansem tells her about Sora's exploits was such a powerful moment of a character getting closure, I couldn't help but get choked up.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

Jade (Mo-Fo-Bad-Ass) Curtiss,,,,nuff said

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:04 AM »

NOPE< THIS TOPIC MUST LIVE.

Yuri Lowell (Vesperia) -- After so many kid JRPG heroes with "a strong sense of justice", Yuri became the 'big brother' to the main party and was the 'king of cool'.  He did have a few speeches about "justice" , but he never took the concept to hammy levels (like JRPGs are otherwise infamous for).  Unlike many game characters, he's also done with his character growth for the most part, rather he knows who he is and lives the way he always intended.

Joel (Last of Us)  -- I kinda just want to fawn over how great Troy Baker's voice is, and who I'd do unmentionable things to him if I saw him... Anyways.  I hate saying it this way, but I think he's an honestly great DILF.  Strong, courageous, calculated, and the necessary epitome of street smart.  It's was great to see a hardened grown-up man go through so many motions of heartbreak, anger, and fear.

Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile -- The VA is kind of stoic, but I think I just like the "idea" of her.  Seriously, games waaay too often lack strong female protagonists, and too often serve half their role as a love interest.  Yes, Valkyrie/Lenneth has a long-lost love (and reclaimed through some of the most unique circumstances ever, to say the least), but it's played as someone she tragically lost and had to fight to get him back (and it wasn't so much a "budding" relationship as one where she was killed before anything could become of it).  I kind of like that stoic nature as well, that "hardened" exterior that stays vigilant and stern in the face of danger, but somewhat defrosts when dealing with her Einherjar.

Millie and Guillo (Baten Kaitos Origins) -- All three of the main characters are great, but Sagi is a bit too much of a "good guy" and too harmless to be terribly up to the ranks.  I like Millie because her VA and dialogue pulls of that "rich girl" vibe, but the writing balances her out beautifully to show her at her angriest and her most vulnerable.  I love her design as well; the browns and pinks meet her Blue Butterfly wings, it's nice on the eyes and you see her stomp around in that fancy outfit as the game's "combo queen".
Guillo is just fascinating.  I love the dark and sinister attitude, I love the occasional moment of complete empathy, and I love the complete gender ambiguity (using both a female AND male VA at the SAME TIME; it's just cool).

Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss) -- No game has EVER had a Jade Curtiss.  He is plot important (but not the lead), he's the party's "brain" (often steps ahead of everyone else), he's networked (and despite a dark past, remans well connected to his childhood friends), and -- of course -- he's one of the most sarcastic characters ever written.  His voice actor deserves a good round of applause for making the combination of character and voice such a perfect match as well.

Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) -- I think I laugh almost every scene Steiner has a big enough roll in.  He's funny, oblivious yet well-meaning, super-fucking-strong, and ends up getting the girl.  He may not be terribly important to the plot, but he's one of the most entertaining.   While I'm at it...

Zidane (Final Fantasy IX) -- After Cloud and Squall's more "difficult" personalities, Zidane was a breath of fresh air.  Funny, sweet, earnest, and surprisingly deep; his character plot evolves well and he's just a generally likeable character!

Estelle (TitS): For being the genki girl done perfectly right

Midna (Twilight Princess) -- Arguably the best Zelda series companion in the series.  She'd complained if you didn't figure things out on your own, played quite closely into your journey (unlike Navi and even Fi to some extent), and was a darling the entire adventure.  Navi served too literally as a "navigational tool" that her presence felt more like it was to hold your hand than to necessitate the plot and Fi just wouldn't shut the hell up.

The NPCs (Wind Waker) -- This game was amazing for the cast it built within its general population.  Although few and far between, characters were lively and entertaining and they really helped make the Great Sea feel like it wasn't that lonely to travel through.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:04:28 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 03:04:56 AM »

Kain from Legacy of Kain.
I win.

And I've recently developed a strong affinity for the Arishok.
Because who doesn't love big horny guys? :P
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »

Favorites:

Gremio, Suikoden

Ewei - Romancing Saga <-- voice actor did an AMAZING job (eng)

Baltheir - FF12, another unique voice actor (eng)

Vincent - FF7

Worst:

Vanille, FF13

Little girl in Star Ocean, she makes me want to throw my socks at the tv.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »

I think for me, I separate characters into iconic and interesting characters. An iconic character usually isn't all that interesting but they usually have exaggerated character traits that are exemplified by the game they're in. Interesting characters are pretty self-explanatory. A couple I can think of right now:

Iconic Characters:
Megaman: No need to explain.
Luca Blight: Asshole incarnate
Professor Layton: I'd love to go on wacky adventures with him.
Final Fantasy Red Mage: That hat, man.

Interesting Characters:
Mordin from Mass Effect: Almost perfect combination of character quirks, intellect, and humor. He was not just fun to listen to, but the actual things he said were usually interesting just by themselves.
Thomas from Suikoden III: A nice spin from the usual kid hero for the Tenkai Stars, he's (argubly) a main character that isn't progressing through his story as a fighter.
Ramza/Delita: Listing them together since how the two characters interacted and contrasted was the whole centerpiece of the game's story.
Luc from Suikoden: More like a runner up for me, but I like the idea of a character being on the hero's side for many entries in a series as you watch how and why he progresses into the character he becomes in a later installment, I just don't think it was expanded on as much as I would have liked.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28:48 AM »

Hmm... there are a lot of interesting characters in the Final Fantasy games, so I'll stick to picking out one. Besides the FF games, I've got a few on my mind as being my favorite all time game characters.

Diego Renault - Vandal Hearts. I liked how he was Ash's outspoken friend in the 3rd platoon of the SDF (Ishtarian Security and Defense Forces). He changed his name because he didn't want to inherit his father's merchant business. Plus he's probably the most bad ass archer I've ever seen in an SRPG. I like most of the cast of this game, but Diego stands out the most to me. Perplexed with wanting to be independent, travel the world or mend his issues with his dad and succeed his father's merchant business as his preferred successor.

Shadow - Final Fantasy VI. Mysterious warrior. Not a big talker, but was there when most needed. Had a cool dog that followed him around. One of his interesting lines, "In this world are many like me who've killd their emotions. Don't forget that."

Dunban - Xenoblade Chronicles. Fast, agile and a big softy. Supports Shulk throughout the game and seems to be the level headed character in the party. Good English accent: "Not bad. Not bad at all."

Kaori - SSX series. Not RPG related, but she's small, flexible and puts Mac in his place for being the big show off he is in the best snowboarding series I know. Has cute backpacks and boards. Best female in the bunch at pulling off major tricks.

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: