Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334693 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria  (Read 17484 times)
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 03:23:32 AM »

its going well for me so far, however I cannot shake the SO:THEOT nostalgia out of my mind. Most of it is because im quite fairly sure that alicia's voice actress is also sophia's from star ocean - aside from that, the battle system feels a little sprinkled with star ocean elements as well (leveling up, model movement, atmosphere). Its not so much of a negative to me as an "itchy" sensation thats been weirding me out.

Another concern I have so far is about the einherijar system - it just feels a bit more empty than lenneths go around at it. I loved hearing and watching the stories about how the people met thier doom and the things that went on in thier life. In silmeria it just feels like they are throwing them at you - and I cant really connect with them - the tidbits of info they provide you with in thier profile just isnt cutting it. Hopefuly ill get to hear more stories about all of them later in.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 09:27:19 AM »

I agree the Ein system is fairly meh in this one.  I would rather have had a small cast of developed characters, than the few you get, plus a bunch of "no name" Eins.

Anywho, im about..12-13 hours into it...at Crell Montrfriage (sp?)  So far ive been doing ok, probably not power leveling like I should be...but meh.   I did get lucky and got a item that gave 300,000 exp, which I gave to alicia, so she was 17 when everyone else was 7 and 6.

And FYI

Code:
The Ein you get from each item is random, and picked from a few different ones...adds some replay I suppose

I did find it lame that all the sorcs were males, all the light fighters females, all the heavy fighters males, and all the archers females, in terms of Ein...kinda makes it a lil boring...well at least thats what its been for me so far.

Havnt really done much with the "crafting" system, ya know, gathering monster parts and stuff.  Just been using what I can buy, or what ive found.  

And yeah...the Sealstones are cool...though some of the effects arnt really understandable..at least to me.  Like (Turns to Ice) or whatever, or (Turns to Fire)  what the hell does that mean?  lol.  Ill figure it out though...maybe im just being blind.

Anywho great game, and gorgeous.  Glad I picked it up.  I loved the first one, and this one is just as fun imo, though the character selection so far has been...not as varied as in the 1st.

Oh, and I have seen nothing about breakable items yet in my 12 hours of play, so...yep.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »

So I just read John's review and this thread. I am kinda wanting to get this game, but the though of everyone pumping up Grandia 3 still haunts me. I thought that game was a POS not worth my 50 bucks. If I had paid 25 for that game, I may not have been so bummed out.

The review seems awesome. Has anyone been bummed they bought this?

Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 03:21:05 PM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"

And yeah...the Sealstones are cool...though some of the effects arnt really understandable..at least to me.  Like (Turns to Ice) or whatever, or (Turns to Fire)  what the hell does that mean?  lol.  Ill figure it out though...maybe im just being blind.

Heh, there's a Sealstone menu on the camp menu. ^_~

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »

Quote from: "Haven"
So I just read John's review and this thread. I am kinda wanting to get this game, but the though of everyone pumping up Grandia 3 still haunts me. I thought that game was a POS not worth my 50 bucks. If I had paid 25 for that game, I may not have been so bummed out.

Importers were complaining about Grandia III: I've seen no such thing for VP2. So it's probably safe.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »

Although I was anticipating Valkyrie Profile 2, I'll admit I wasn't as excited for it as I was other games.  I still bought it on release though.  After playing it for hours, I can definitely say I like the game much better than I thought I would, and I'm definitely liking it more than the first.  For some reason, the game feels a lot like Star Ocean 3, mixed with Valkyrie Profile gameplay.  That's not a bad thing, since Star Ocean 3 is one of my favorite RPGs ever.  

I'll be playing it more throughout the week, but I have a ton of RPGs I'm playing now (VP2, Xenosaga Episode III, Summon Night, Super Robot Wars OG, Enchanted Arms, Disgaea 2, etc.).
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »

Cool. Thats what I wnted to hear. I may go by the game shop after work. I have tomorrow off, so I could pick it up then. I need a kick ass RPG to get me off WoW for a few hours a day.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 04:14:01 PM »

Oh man, the comparisons to SO3 is not something I wanted to hear.  I wasn't a big fan of the game (SO3).  So it makes me hesitant to pick it up.  I loved VP1 though, not because of the gameplay but because of all the backstories (deaths) of the characters.  It made you get attached to everyone.    Ugh.  I might wait this one out for a price drop.  There are too many damn games coming out so I'm getting picky.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 01:17:41 AM »

I thinking of selling this game now/again.  I'm at the first dungeon in chapter 3 and each encounter is kicking my ass making it a pain to play.  My groups average level is about 4-5, which seems low, but I've beaten all the enemies I've come across and that usually cuts it for any other non-random encounter RPGs.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 05:15:12 AM »

Should be able to do that alright at level 5; I was killing the chapter 3 optional dungeons at 7.  You probably just need to get used to the combat system a little more.

Specifically, you'll only get attacked if one of your party steps into a glowing red attack square, or if you're standing in a non-lit-up attack square but finish your attack.

So, if you're standing outside of an enemy's attack range, you can finish a full combo and then still have 15-30 AP left over, and then you can use that to Dash out and kite the enemy around a little bit while you regain enough AP to redo the whole thing.

Although, if you haven't done it yet, you definitely want to spend the Oth as soon as you can to get everyone a weapon with a finisher.  I know you get a bow that's decent enough in a treasure chest in the mountain ruins, but I ended up buying a couple of swords for Silmeria and my light fighter in Villnore.
zain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 07:26:22 AM »

You know, the more I play this game, the more it reminds me of Grandia 3:
Great graphics, way too hard for its own good, somewhat cliched story, original and fun battle system.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: "Tsi Aileron"
Quote from: "Serene Prophet"

Heh, there's a Sealstone menu on the camp menu. ^_~

You can also press the 'triangle' button when you come across a new sealstone, and it'll bring up a one or two sentence explaination about it.

@Clueless - Honestly, the Star Ocean aspects of the game mainly have to do with the battle system, and that's really about it. The system itself, in a sense, is similar to SO:TET, but it feels a lot more polished, mainly due to the Dash feature, and the battle areas themselves. Seriously, you aren't fighting on flat surfaces here (well....sometimes you are :P).
The 'level up' screen is identical to that of SO:TOT, but honestly, that's the extent of the stuff similar between the games as far as I've noticed.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »

I'm only 6 hours into the game.  So far I'm liking it(this is coming from someone who disliked SO games).  My only gripes ATM are pretty simple.

I miss the whole Einharer pre story, knowing a bit about them, seeing how they died, watching Valkyrie give them the offer, etc.  
I also don't like how the Einharers you get are mostly random, I want to be able to get them all, or at least get the others I missed on multiple runs.  

but aside from that I'm happy.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 08:18:56 PM »

I seriously don't know why people think this game is uber difficult - it's a tri-Ace game, with any knowledge, you can break the system to no end.  The only difficult part can be the boss battles, which tend to be less breakable.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
I seriously don't know why people think this game is uber difficult - it's a tri-Ace game, with any knowledge, you can break the system to no end.  The only difficult part can be the boss battles, which tend to be less breakable.

Indeed.  Ice magic damage depends on the caster's level.  Fire magic depends on the caster's MAG.  You can actually increase your MAG with equipment, so do that, and switch to a fire spell.  

...Then, take that pesky "Fire dmg down 1/2" sealstone off the dais and you're godly.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: