Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334630 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  possible ogre battle remake?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: possible ogre battle remake?  (Read 2972 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »

http://andriasang.com/con1v6/trademark_ogre_battle/

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »

3DS version would be amazing (funny, I already feel that a PS360 version is out of the question or not even worth thinking about).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »

lets cut through the SRPG cheese here folks.... I'll take an ogre battle remake, sure.... you would too....

But what we, fantasy-war-fighting fools, want is a Dragonforce HD Collection re-boot on major consoles... now THAT is what a company what do if they wanted to make a buck... I say collection because it would include Dragonforce 1 AND 2, with some cool LE junk  like Junon's helmet as a keychain or something....

yea in a perfect world.......

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

lets cut through the SRPG cheese here folks.... I'll take an ogre battle remake, sure.... you would too....

But what we, fantasy-war-fighting fools, want is a Dragonforce HD Collection re-boot on major consoles... now THAT is what a company what do if they wanted to make a buck... I say collection because it would include Dragonforce 1 AND 2, with some cool LE junk  like Junon's helmet as a keychain or something....

yea in a perfect world.......

I'm digging your vision, sir. But I want Ogre Battle too. :)

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »

Ogre Battle is more of an RTS w/ turn based combat.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »

A turn-based real-time game.

GOTTA SEE THAT ONE!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

About Dragon Force...

http://ages.sega.jp/df/

Sega is only putting the remake of the original game that they did on PS2 for PSN.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »

About Dragon Force...

http://ages.sega.jp/df/

Sega is only putting the remake of the original game that they did on PS2 for PSN.

Yea... like I'll ever get to see that localized....

Ogre Battle is more of an RTS w/ turn based combat.

RTS with turn based combat eh??? By that same logic couldn't I go the "long way around the mountain" so to speak and identify any classic turn-based title as say "Adventure with turn based combat" or something to that effect?

To be honest they are all RPG's to me.... all the genre prefixes and whatnot are like splitting hairs in my opinion... it took ages for me to even adapt SRPG and JRPG into my vocab.... RTS is, in my mind, an sub-genre of a sub-genre (the SRPG) to me.

Sorry if anyone else sees this as a verbal "fo-pah" of sorts- LoL

Word around the rumor mill though is they were going start a new sub genre in the west... "Real time FPS, with turn based combat" otherwise known as FPSWSRPG (yes thats right folks, the first person shooter strategy western role playing game).... the first game to introduce this groundbreaking mechanic which defies all sense and logic was gonna be "Call of Duty Tactics" but western playtesters felt it took too much time and effort to shoot there neighbors with the new gameplay mechanic and ultimately abandoned the project.... I also heard capcom is going to have some special DLC mode for the next street fighter... FRPG-Mode (Real-time fighter with turn based combat), but development is having problems figuring out how to properly work out the new, never before seen, fighter engine.......... the future is scary,,,,,,

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:48 AM »

I know what you mean, in the same period of time that Sega was releasing their classics for PS2 they did a remake of Phantasy Star 1 and 2. I've read before that there were plans to bring both games and part of the text was already translated, but it never came out for some reason.

Makes me wonder how they have the balls to release Phantasy Star Universe but not two remakes of one of their most iconic franchises.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »

I know what you mean, in the same period of time that Sega was releasing their classics for PS2 they did a remake of Phantasy Star 1 and 2. I've read before that there were plans to bring both games and part of the text was already translated, but it never came out for some reason.

Makes me wonder how they have the balls to release Phantasy Star Universe but not two remakes of one of their most iconic franchises.

The weird thing about that was that I even saw the first PS remake listed in a local Shopko flier but nothing ever came of that.

Also fuck Sega for not bringing out VC3 to the west.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »

The weird thing about that was that I even saw the first PS remake listed in a local Shopko flier but nothing ever came of that.

Also fuck Sega for not bringing out VC3 to the west.

Strangely enough Sega has actually done a very good job recently of porting many of their games to to the digital realm. Jet Grind Radio, Nights, and stuff like Sonic CD and Silvergun. But not bringing over VC3 was just a travesty.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »

Well here's my definition of an SRPG (or tactical level turn based strategy game):

1. Must be turn based.  Only one unit can move at a time (IGOUGO). I may include exceptional WEGO (both player and enemy units move at the same time) games at my discretion.
2. Must have multiple player controlled units. That means no roguelike games, even though they are technically turn based.
3. Must be at the tactical level of combat, not the strategic or operational level. I may include exceptional strategic or operational level games at my discretion.
4. Tactical level combat must be at the top level of the games mechanics and must be the main focus of the game. That means no Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty or other very small scale combat games.

Ogre Battle is nowhere near those requirements. The turn based combat after two units meet in RTS mode doesn't even have units moving around on a grid. But call it whatever you want, I was just trying to give a more accurate definition of what the gameplay is like, such as "RTS with turn based combat".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:59:35 PM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »

A turn-based real-time game.

GOTTA SEE THAT ONE!

Growlanser.

That is all.

Also, I'd love to see this.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »

Well here's my definition of an SRPG (or tactical level turn based strategy game):

1. Must be turn based.  Only one unit can move at a time (IGOUGO). I may include exceptional WEGO (both player and enemy units move at the same time) games at my discretion.
2. Must have multiple player controlled units. That means no roguelike games, even though they are technically turn based.
3. Must be at the tactical level of combat, not the strategic or operational level. I may include exceptional strategic or operational level games at my discretion.
4. Tactical level combat must be at the top level of the games mechanics and must be the main focus of the game. That means no Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty or other very small scale combat games.

Ogre Battle is nowhere near those requirements. The turn based combat after two units meet in RTS mode doesn't even have units moving around on a grid. But call it whatever you want, I was just trying to give a more accurate definition of what the gameplay is like, such as "RTS with turn based combat".

The one strategic (or RTSish) element to the game is the handling of alignment which is more of a micromanaging aspect than anything else. I guess the only real strategy for the Ogre Battle games is to know when to liberate towns and to establish and properly deploy units that can do so with some margin of efficiency.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »

I tried holding back but no more!

Ok, Ogre Battle is all about managing your units. You have to make competent fighting groups that will be strong enough to win against most enemy units. That means you will have to build your fighting units slightly differently and opt for the best unit for given encounters. Ex: a unit with 3 archers would do very well against a resistant front line that hides 2 mages and a healer in the back. Of course you will need some special units for 'unique' tasks that are plentiful throughout the missions (VS undead units, fast flying units, all shield units, VS petrification golems unit, etc.)

Aside front pure battle strength, you have to consider the alignment/class combos of the units in the sense that you will require at the very least 1 evil, 1 neutral and 1 lawful unit. Near the end of the game, you will have to split said groups to have 1 pure evil, 1 half evil, 1 full lawful and 1 half lawful since the towns are very picky with the 'liberator's' alignment.

When you become more apt at the game, you can then start cheating the system to produce 'weird' units. Healers in general are high alignment units and as such cannot exist/advance in evil groups, but it is possible to create units and then later mix them in with others to remedy this.

Now, where the real fun starts is that you actually have to keep your units the weakest possible if you aim for a high Chaos Frame. Meaning you must kill the least possible and generally work with very few exp (being 'stronger' than the enemy makes you the 'evil' side of the war). That few exp will also have to be split between your 10+ units. At this point, it's not uncommon to have town liberating units that never receive any experience.

Although you'd think keeping your Chaos Frame the highest possible would be a good idea, effectively it is not since certain heroes won't join you if you don't match their 'alignment'. As such, at certain points of the game, you may want to take a Chaos Frame dip for a certain hero only to bring it back up later for the best ending.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: