Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 06:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327318 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!  (Read 19114 times)
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »

Anyone else here excited for this game?

Growlanser Generations (PS2) was (two of the) best RPGs I ever played. What I love most about this series is that in the major battles "killing all of the enemies" is not the only obejective. For example, during some battles there are civilians that will be killed unless your party can rescue them, sometimes you're trying to prevent an enemy from escaping, sometimes you're just trying to survive until you can retreat from a force too powerful for your party.

Growlanser also has the most complex relationship system I have ever seen in a RPG. In addition to many dialogue choices that affect your relationship, your companions will actually like you more if you are a successful leader in battle. The game has over 40 possible endings based on who you befriend and what choices you make.

Official Site

Growlanser Neo Wiki   

Growlanser WoT Trailer
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:15:50 AM by daved » Logged
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »

Never played a Growlanser,  they any good?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »

Yes, yes they are. Granted I only speak in defense of Growlanser II and III (From the US Grownalser Generations release). The battles and music were very enjoyable...

Other reasons why I love these games: see above.

Because this is coming out for handheld, I will become consumed with this game the week of its release.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »

My most anticipated game of the year.  

Unless you hate rpgs and anime you should like this game.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

If you even remotely enjoy strategy based JRPGs than growlanswer totally qualifies as a "don't think, just get it".... in other words, its a sure fire good time.

In fact across the board, SRPGs JRPGs WRPGs and any other RPG genres you can think of..... growlanser totally ranks as one my favorite franchises....

My most anticipated game of the year. 

Unless you hate rpgs and anime you should like this game.

My most anticipated as well!.... I unfortunately screwed myself and will have to exercise a lil' bit of self-discipline because there is no way I am going to polish off Agarest 2 in two weeks.... and if I put that down for Growlanser there is a good probability I  won't pick it back up regardless of how much I like it for quite awhile.... I know growlanser will swallow my time like no other.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »

Yes, since it's supposedly one of the best of the series and we're actually seeing it in English.

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »

supposedly THE best in the series...
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »

Just a little excited.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »

cj is only a little excited.  he only heard about the game yesterday!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

I've never played a Growlanser game, but with the way people are raving about this one I'm going to have to check it out.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

cj is only a little excited.  he only heard about the game yesterday!

If that's the case he either is a time traveler or needs to get to a hospital ASAP to check for brain damage.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

Already pre-ordered and hoping that this is more enjoyable that Gungnir was.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »

Already pre-ordered and hoping that this is more enjoyable that Gungnir was.

I thought Gungnir was decent, but honestly I had no idea what to expect there being a dept. heaven title and all.... however decent as it was, and enjoyable as Agarest 2 is proving to be for me, the Growlanser titles have (at least thus far) all proven to be more then just a cut above the rest so to speak IMO.....  while I have no experience with Riviera, I can't honestly say I feel like any dept. heaven game could hold a candle to the Growlanser franchise.... not even on the same playing field if you ask me......

In truth, I can't really imagine for the life of me why Growlanser hasn't fostered a rep amongst players as being a titan of the genre.... much in the way the FFTactics and the Ogre Battles have managed to acquire such respect across the board. By that, what I am saying is I could go on to name a number of tactical/strategy oriented RPG's that were good, arguably great titles in some respects... vandal hearts, Jeanne D' Arc, Wild Arms XF, various NIS titles and some select PSP choices to name few that come to mind as quality.. but Growlanser trumps all these to me in the sense that NOTHING about Growlanser was really typical or mediocre, while none of the content or mechanic ever stretched too far into left field for its own good.

In short, the Growlanser titles to me, particularly 3 and 5 just didn't have any shortcomings I felt I had to overlook.... Great cast of characters, stunning artwork, large wide and epic narratives, kick-ass combat systems that I never grew weary of right up til the final boss battles, awesome soundtracks and the best blends of standard RPG real time movement and exploration coupled with tactical battle mechanics I have had the pleasure of experiencing. Might I add, that is another thing I'd love to see more of in new titles... that is, more blending of some of your traditional JRPG elements in SRPGS.... I hate how completely menu driven some of these games can be.. Let me walk around a town for goodness sake!!-LoL...... And last but certainly not least.... I love side quests and optional stuff... who doesn't?.... but when it is ALL post game content, or grindtastic it gets stale after awhile (I am looking at you NIS....)..... whilst  Growlanser's in game non-linearity and side questing all pertained (in some respects, very signifigantly) to the main narrative and adventure.... this is the type of stuff that begs me for a 2nd play-through somewhere down the road or at least demands grandios amounts of my time and attention during my experience with the title. And believe you me, 2nd play-throughs are not something I usually ever consider.

After this post, I think I am gonna quit my job as a tattoo artist and become a full time "Growlanser PR Man"..... these games deserve more people singing their praise....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »

You know what else needs some bolstered rep?

Langrisser.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »

It'd be nice, but the Langrisser team is long gone sadly.

IV is truly a great game, and it'll be worth the wait. I just hope people give it the attention it deserves.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: